Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best kind? Are the 'sport bags' fairly universal as to fit on the bike?

I usually take trips on a Sprint ST with hard bags, but plan to take my Tuono on a few trips and not sure what bags to use. I have a set (that I haven't checked for fit) and used Nelson Riggs sport bags on my FZ1, but the fit was 'meh' and they were a pain to strap to the bike.

Anyone have any good experiences with soft saddlebags?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
I've seen quite a few people using the smaller "sport bags" with plenty of success. I opted for a larger pair of Cortech bags. I'm so glad I went with the larger size. I've used them on probably 8-12 trips with no real problems. I have however started to get away from using saddlebags for the simple reason that saddlebags aren't exactly quick and easy to get on/off, but that's just part of soft bags.

Here's what I use. http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sbn-accessories-testing/332847-cortech-tribag-saddlebag.html

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Be careful! I had the soft Cortech bags on my FZ1, hit a bump and they shifted to rest on the muffler, next thing I know Im doing 80mph down I91 50 miles from home and my bike is on fire. Insurance helped me fix the bike and I fitted Givi hard bags.

Might have the same issue with the Tuono. My Tuono has high mount pipes so saddlebags are a no no, but the tailbag works well for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Make sure it secure. I've done from wilm, nc to Princeton, wv with soft bags and bags on the soft bags and they were fine. I recommend you use more bungee chords then the ones provided.

I was running cortech on my gsxr as a daily driver and they held up fine.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Almost all soft bags use universal strap systems to hold in place, they need to be adjusted so they don't move or hit exhaust.

Hard cases typically have hard mount points or frames that stay on the bike and removing/replacing the cases is a lot quicker and more secure. Lot more pricy, though.

KeS

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I've used both Tourmaster and Nelson Riggs bags with tremendous success. They cinch down very securely, and I've never had one shift in tens of thousands of miles.

My only complaint is what rain protection I've received with them is perfunctory and insufficient. I carry stuff in plastic bags when I take bike trips.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I have the cortech sport bags and tail bag. The tailbag I used the most- it was easy to strap to my triumph. The saddle bag are a bit more of a pain to get on and off.... but not terrible. I've had them on for several 600+ mile trips and they've never shifted (and I had a high-mount exhaust, but it was CF so it didn't get terribly hot).

The Teknic ones my wife had were b*****, but the cortech ones I have are better made.

I now have a bike with hard luggage. I'm keeping the cortech ones around in case my wife needs them or I get a second bike or something... but I haven't used them in a while.

My wife has Oxford bags- just the tank and tail bags. But they are fucking NICE. I always wanted the matching saddlebags. Oxford stuff is about the best made shit I've even seen. It's fantastic. But NOT cheap.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Another cortech user here. Used them for my 650 mile trips between home and school. Had no problems once they were adjusted properly. I also use the saddle bags for small suitcases if a backpack won't hold everything I need.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts