Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself next to a 636 at a stop light tonight. He pulls up and on the back is a female holding on for dear life, I chuckled, she didn't even let go of her death grip when he was in neutral at the light. Having only had my bike for a few weeks I decided it was time for my first WOT for a few gears and see what it can do against a comparable bike.

So I start creeping and ofcourse he cranks his up a bit and a nice blue flame shoots out the exhaust, I was impressed. Not to be outdone I hit about 5k and the light turns green, the jump is mine. As I hit the powerband my front end decides the ground is not a place it likes very much and comes up about a foot off the ground. While the power was not AWESOME it was impressive and made me ease up a bit on the throttle to gain steering.

Shift into second using the clutch and up comes the front somewhere around 2-3 feet, so I let off a bit as not knowing the character of the bike and it's tendencies. By that time homeboy pulls up next to me and lets me know I suck at riding atm. Not sure of the gear he was in probably second and he picks up the front end and rides it for awhile leaving me in his wake shifting down the road, blue flame and all. I stopped somewhere around 80 seeing how the breakin period isn't up yet:( So basically I got :urowned

Having had numerous bikes including my last being a ninja 600r I was still not totally prepared for the raw powerband at the top. It has been a good 6 years since riding on a regular basis or riding a serious SS.

Anyway the next light having my curiosity peaked by the front end coming up I decide to see how it does with a power wheelie. Wheelied everything from my ninja to a 50cc 4 wheeler so I am pretty comfortable. Got going about ohh 15-20 closed it and let it chew about 1/2 to 3/4 open. Front end came up without a problem and I rode it out for about 30 yards while slowly letting off the throttle. Nice touchdown and never felt 1 second of being out of control. Didn't hit the BP or come close to it but it was fun.

Anyway just thought I would share, feel free to flame or critique away. :squid

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'm guessing you were in town, and I would not personally even attempt to race anyone in town, and especially not with someone on the back. Whatever works for ya though.

I think you're gonna get a lot of :upyours from people on this board.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Personally, letting it go wide open every now and then is a thrill. You're not the one who raced with a passenger on the back and I'm sure you were well aware of what could have happened.

Sounds like you had fun anyways.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Nice sorry you got smacked, i agree i would never do anything stupid with my girl on the back. but some people would that makes for great vids of chicks belly flopping the pavement we have all seen the vids. looks like it hurt poor (hot) chicks....

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I haven't gone wot on my f2 yet but when I get full gear I will! :D

glad you had fun...I was looking at some 636s tonight at cycle city :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Super Ninja S2K said:
Nice sorry you got smacked, i agree i would never do anything stupid with my girl on the back. but some people would that makes for great vids of chicks belly flopping the pavement we have all seen the vids. looks like it hurt poor (hot) chicks....

yeah Ive seen those vids as well, banged up bruised road rashed chicks = not good.

Doing that w/ someone on the back is beyond stuipd, I dont see how someone could risk that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I can't say I agree with you guy's doing that on the street especially with the other guy riding 2 up, but I do give you credit for admitting that you got owned instead of making up a fake story to make yourself look good. :cheers

·
Registered
791 Posts
i didnt know flame throwers could be put on motorcycles. Ill have to look into getting one of those. 1 should be going on my car after i put my turbo in.

WOT = ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Josh D said:
I'm guessing you were in town, and I would not personally even attempt to race anyone in town, and especially not with someone on the back. Whatever works for ya though.

I think you're gonna get a lot of :upyours from people on this board.

He had the rider not me and while it really wasn't town it wasn't the smartest place to open it up.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
So where do you expect him to race? On a track? Where's the thrill in that? :lao :eek:nfloor

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Bad form. Save that for the track, esp. if it's the first time you brining the machine to that speed, IMO. Let the Law of Natural Selection work it's way on this. Let him be the one that gets owned/fined/jailed/injured because he was acting like a goon.

What about break-in period? You might be doing your exp. bike a disservice by bringing it up to that RPM speed, but not sure. Check owner's manual for restrictions during break-in.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yeah I know you didn't have the rider, it was the other guy. Poor wording on my part. I meant that I wouldn't want to drag someone that had a passenger. I never drag anybody, but if I did a full on drag against someone (on a bike), I'd probably tell them that they need to get a helmet and a jacket + boots and gloves at a minimum, or they ain't racing me.

Almost none of my friends wear any gear, most ride cruisers but still. The average outfit is jeans, tennis shoes or slip ons, a tshirt, and safety glasses. Funny thing is, one of the guys that I know has a girlfriend that hopefully will get a bike soon. She talks to me and my buddies, and says she will wear a helmet and jacket when riding. I think she's 20, and is smarter and more responsible than any of the other riders I know.

None of the above really means anything to most riders, but I have personally had a life changing (and almost taking) experience on a motorcycle, so my views are somewhat different.

As far as opening it up, hell yeah, that's what they are for. My bike is a twin so it doesn't need opened up as much as a 600 to get the same "seat of the pants" pull, but that's what I wanted. It does see the higher rpms from time to time though. Honestly, I would ride a lot harder if the cops weren't so thick around here. The biggest town within 40mi of here is about 8,000 ppl, and my town is only 200, but state cops and the county mountee are around when you least expect them, like 2am. It seems like they are all traffic cops too, i wish they would get more officers to do the hard work and crack down on meth instead of generating revenue.

Ok, sorry about the rambling, I'm runnin on 0 sleep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts