Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’d like to understand a little better, why in these days people are going liter. I have not owned a sport bike. But every person that I’ve spoken to that seems to have there head screwed on right, tells me even thou they’ve been riding for years, there is no need these days for them or any one else in their mind to get any thing more then a 600. I mean hell, I heard of a pro rider with sprocket and lowed 05 R6 running 9s. Now I know, I’m not that good of a rider to do that, but just that the potential is to get that much out of a 600. My impression from those that seem to know what they’re talking about is that the liter bikes are or are almost unusable power. Only the best riders in the world can get much more out of a liter bike. Is it all about the strait line why you guys go liter. Please enlighten me. I’m not bashing those that have liter or any trash talking what so ever. Just looking to understand a little better!

Thanks,
Jason

Side note: not in to trick riding at all!

·
Registered
359 Posts
www.motorcyclistonline.com/toc/index.html

If you read in the newest issue of Motorcyclist, the comparison between the Kawasaki ZX6R versus the Suzuki GSXR1000, price difference not withstanding, you'll understand. As a seasoned and experienced rider, I'd pick the b***** bike; 600s are alright, but honestly, to get any power out of them, you have to wind them out like a clock.....

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yup, I've owned 3 liter bikes so far. Their biggest appeal for me is the much broader torque band. I like the fact that I can ride at a decently quick but sane pace on the street and not have to redline the bike at all. Call me a wussy 'cuz I rarely ever redline my bike. I'm a pretty laid back rider and those few occcasions when I do wind 'er out in second or third are just all the more thrilling.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
frank5079 said:

If you read in the newest issue of Motorcyclist, the comparison between the Kawasaki ZX6R versus the Suzuki GSXR1000, price difference not withstanding, you'll understand. As a seasoned and experienced rider, I'd pick the b***** bike; 600s are alright, but honestly, to get any power out of them, you have to wind them out like a clock.....
I'll have to read that over this lunch, thanks!

pwang said:
Yup, I've owned 3 liter bikes so far. Their biggest appeal for me is the much broader torque band. I like the fact that I can ride at a decently quick but sane pace on the street and not have to redline the bike at all. Call me a wussy 'cuz I rarely ever redline my bike. I'm a pretty laid back rider and those few occcasions when I do wind 'er out in second or third are just all the more thrilling.
What about just changing the sprocket and keeping the RPMs up?

Mucho Gonzales said:
what about 2up riding? that's another reason to consider a liter bike IMO.
Does not seem like two up with 125 hp is going to be a problem. But may be it would be, due to having to keep the revs up, to get that power.

THANKS ALL!!!

J

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Now that liter bikes have gotten smaller and less roomy, there is even less reason to consider one. While arguably the fastest thing around, manufacturers post high horsepower numbers and then waste it with tall gearing so the bikes will still be ridable. Its a sales and marketing game.

However, if you want the quickest and fastest, the biggest is still the way to go. Just expect the bike to be only a little quicker and only in the hands of the right rider.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have a 01 F4i 600, and a have riden the 04 1000RR and I gotta say it pulls nice through the lower RPM's and doesnt seem like it want's to stop! But it wasnt what I expected it to be. I rode the 600RR too and it pulls like the 1000RR but just a little less power and top speed. If I were to choose between the two I would get the 600 hands down. I havent been on the R1 or the Gixxer 1 but I would have to guess that they are more powerful than the CBR1000RR. I would like a liter bike but I wouldnt even be close to using it like it should be. But we are adrenaline junkies right!! so of course we want the biggest and baddest bike out there.

·
Registered
833 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Now that liter bikes have gotten smaller and less roomy, there is even less reason to consider one. While arguably the fastest thing around, manufacturers post high horsepower numbers and then waste it with tall gearing so the bikes will still be ridable. Its a sales and marketing game.

However, if you want the quickest and fastest, the biggest is still the way to go. Just expect the bike to be only a little quicker and only in the hands of the right rider.
Good points. I chose my bike, a 955i, more for its comfy riding position and the fact that it is very torquey by virtue of it being a triple. That it also has ~130 rwhp is a nice side benefit for those rare times when I pin the throttle open. Otherwise, I like my bike 'cuz its got good power down low, unlike a 600, and the seating position reminds me of another "real world" liter bike I once owned, a zx-9.

FWIW, I was originally shopping around for a zrx1200 before I settled on the Daytona.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've own a couple of liter bikes and supersport, the biggest thing I notice is that when you are riding with your friends they can leave you :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

Seriously though you really can appretiate the the power to weight ratio difference on liter bikes especially after riding a 600, 636, 700, 750 what ever. :phatyo

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
frank5079 said:

Oh and just like the book saids b***** is better!

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Every bike I've bought since the first one has gone down in CC's. My 05 600 is plenty fast enough to get my license suspended. And I don't need to redline it, or come even close. Thats just silly.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Qwikk said:
i use every bit of my liter bikes power thats about all i can say...........
You and Mladin both! :lao

·
Registered
491 Posts
pwang said:
+1

·
Registered
177 Posts
i find larger displacement bikes easier to ride on the street and smaller better on the track. the litres benefit on the street due to the increase in torque. they are easier to putt around on if you like and the power is instantly there in a panic situation. a 600 on the track generally is easier to keep in the sweet spot for me due to the powerband and gearing.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Different folks ride for different reasons. Lots of people are horsepower junkies or just want the baddest bike. This is the reason liter bikes are so popular. For twisties the power is a hinderance if anything, especially on the street where traction is limited. It is priorities that dictate what bike you buy, how much you like the straight line power versus how much you like the twisties, how much you want to impress your buddies, how much insurance you can afford. A lot of people get into riding thinking that one day they'll "upgrade" to that dreamy liter bike, but it shouldn't be about that. I don't want one for my only bike, personally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
nig said:
Different folks ride for different reasons. Lots of people are horsepower junkies or just want the baddest bike. This is the reason liter bikes are so popular. For twisties the power is a hinderance if anything, especially on the street where traction is limited. It is priorities that dictate what bike you buy, how much you like the straight line power versus how much you like the twisties, how much you want to impress your buddies, how much insurance you can afford. A lot of people get into riding thinking that one day they'll "upgrade" to that dreamy liter bike, but it shouldn't be about that. I don't want one for my only bike, personally.

this is my first post but i would just like to get my opinion in on this. i totally agree with nig, on this. thats exactly how i see it. and when i ride my 636, i like to hear it scream for more throttle--thats my second opinion.

now im off to make my next opinion. im on a role.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
For me it is all about the torque. Almost double the 600's and a much more usable band. Yeah, you can change gearing, but who wants to ride continuously at 7 or 8k on the tach just to have the oomph at your fingertips? Literbikes just do it better down low and up high. But bottom line is most people are perfectly content on 600's. It is all about what makes you happy, whether you actually use it or not is irrelevent! It's your money and your time- do what feels best.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts