• 20W

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am thinking about changing to a heavier oil I thought I'd poll it up and get some opinions.

Notice a difference(if using a different weight)? Also how hard is it to replace the fork seals?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
belray sucks fyi, stay away from it. it foams and has a low thermal index. just by good shit, racetech/spectro, maxima, ohlins.

·
Registered
734 Posts
put in .95 RaceTech springs and 10w Spectra. Definitely a difference but I 'm sure the spring change is most of it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i put 10 wt in ages back and helped...

now with r6 forks ( stock springs )i put 10 wt up from 5 wt and also decreased the air gap to 100mm from 130mm now the front is nice and firm time to do the same to rear soon

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
in the most simple terms, because thats what those adjusters are for and thats the reason r6 forks are desirable. they're valved for using 5wt, using a thicker weight would be useful if you couldnt dial them in as is. which is not the case. if you need more dampening you turn the screws CW and they'll stiffen up....and 5wt will be able to make them way more stiff than useful. not to metion using the thinest oil possible is the most desirable due to the viscosity index and the vast majority of race teams would opt to re-valve them before using a thicker oil if needed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't use 10wt in stock r6 forks.
funny that this was recomened to me by a qualified mech of over 15 yrs who also happens to race an r6...

i have found the 10wt and the stock dampening settings pretty damn good for me.

ped, race teams will re valve as they have the $$ to do so and by using 5wt the oil viscosity has less chance to be affected by heat

you cannot compare a race bike/teams oil to a street bike

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
if you were not going to tune your r6 forks from 'stock' what was the point? as to the first statement go ask a suspension shop or ask other racers (i also help a few racers setup their suspension btw) as well as track an r6 and have built and re-built its suspension. all you had to do was turn the bottom in a little and the top center in a little and you would have got the same effect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts