Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

And furthermore, I've now moved from the community of "riders who haven't gone down yet" to, well, that other community.

I was riding out this morning to meet my parents for breakfast. Coming down Western near the prison, I was in lane position closest to the curb, and as I rounded a gentle bend, I drifted towards the curb and fixation took over from there. Now, I've noticed myself fixate before, and was always immediately aware and had time to correct myself. In this case, it happened too fast- by the time I understood what was happening, I had rubbed the curb and had a nice tank-slapper going. Shortly thereafter, the bike and I parted ways. I landed in a nice, semi-soft mulch-lined median and rolled for a bit.

Cars stopped to help before I ever got up. I only had pain in my left shoulder- which was what hit the ground first. Paramedics arrived within five minutes, and shortly thereafter I was mummified to a backboard and on the way to WakeMed. Turns out I cracked my shoulder blade right down the middle and tore some ligaments. I'm strictly a one-armed man for the moment- can't really even move the shoulder. I go back to follow-up with an orthopedist in ten days.

Bike didn't sustain any terrible damage- demolished the front fairing, scarred up both cans, bent the right bar up, busted a mirror, and bent the rear brake pedal. It does still run- I investigated this a bit ago, much to my mother's chagrin. She seems amazed that I want to get back riding ASAP- but I do.

Looks like I'll be out of work for a week or two- good thing I'm due for some vacation time.

Ride safe, everyone. Learn something new every day, and hopefully your lessons will be less painful than mine.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
wow, sorry to hear about your get off. yeah, you gotta watch that target fixation, it will bite you in the ass (as you discovered), but although this was a painful lesson, it is a lesson never the less and you can use it to your advantage.

nice looking bike BTW, I take it is your first?

And don't worry about your mom, my mom did the same thing. except I didn't tell her for about a week when I had crashed, I didn't want to send her to the hospital :D

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, first bike, and I'm only about two weeks in. :( Not quite as nice-looking now, either.

Thank God for Percocet. :D

·
Titanium Princess
1,058 Posts
Percocet rules!!!!! Gives me really weird and whacked out dreams though.

Good luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sry to hear bout your incident. Hope you feel better...

All I can say though is...mmmmm Drugs :drool

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
GUTTERbOY said:
Yup, first bike, and I'm only about two weeks in. :( Not quite as nice-looking now, either.

Thank God for Percocet. :D
bah, don't worry about it. At least you had it 2 weeks before you crashed (unlike myself who crashed her pretty bike the same night she bought it)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Don't worry about it. Happens to the best of us.

One of our members (not on here anymore) did the same thing (some of you may remember Michelle) on her brand new YZF600R at Old Liberty Rd. She target fixated on gravel, rode into the gravel, and lowsided hitting her shoulder first. Broke it in 3 places.

On a lighter note, you can now come to Freaky Friday with us. We need another camera man. :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TRaGiK said:
Don't worry about it. Happens to the best of us.

One of our members (not on here anymore) did the same thing (some of you may remember Michelle) on her brand new YZF600R at Old Liberty Rd. She target fixated on gravel, rode into the gravel, and lowsided hitting her shoulder first. Broke it in 3 places.

On a lighter note, you can now come to Freaky Friday with us. We need another camera man.
If I can somewhat use my left arm by then... my truck is a stick, posing a challenge for a one-armed bandit such as myself. :p

And as you'll see shortly, apparently I can't hold my camera without getting a finger in front of the lens (well, with one hand that also features a temporarily unusable pinky). Which leads me to carnage photos.

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
Damn...sorry to hear about that Philip. I'm glad you seem to be in good spirits. Hope you bounce back quickly....
And yeah...target fixation sucks. Most everyone on the NC board can tell you why I know....:(

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Oh my goodness, kiddo! Heal up quickly :)

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
That damage isn't bad at all. Just need a new front fairing. Leave the pipes rashed. :)

Below is what a bike looks like when it REALLY gets fucked up. <ahemcoughcoughTONYcough> :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
my last wreck was very similar to yours.

i was riding with a friend behind me. we were quickly approaching a 30mph left turn (or so the sign said) at the top of a hill. totally blind, i couldn't see the bend at all. well, like an idiot, i trusted it. i normally take corners at twice the posted suggested speed limit.

so here i am, going about 60, i see the bend, i shit my pants. it was actually a 15 mph downhill decreasing radius! i fixed on the dirt, went right off the road, and somehow managed to dodge every tree on the side of the road. the bike went bye bye while i tumbled on my left side.

my buddy behind me saw the whole thing. he stopped, checked me over (he's a psychiatrist), gave me a neuro, slapped me on the head, picked my bike up, then we rode off to the coffee shop for latte and biscotti!

i was lucky. damn lucky. it was a lesson well learned. :cheers :beer

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
HPSO12XU said:
my last wreck was very similar to yours.

i was riding with a friend behind me. we were quickly approaching a 30mph left turn (or so the sign said) at the top of a hill. totally blind, i couldn't see the bend at all. well, like an idiot, i trusted it. i normally take corners at twice the posted suggested speed limit.

so here i am, going about 60, i see the bend, i shit my pants. it was actually a 15 mph downhill decreasing radius! i fixed on the dirt, went right off the road, and somehow managed to dodge every tree on the side of the road. the bike went bye bye while i tumbled on my left side.

my buddy behind me saw the whole thing. he stopped, checked me over (he's a psychiatrist), gave me a neuro, slapped me on the head, picked my bike up, then we rode off to the coffee shop for latte and biscotti!

i was lucky. damn lucky. it was a lesson well learned. :cheers :beer
Wait a minute...are you telling my story?!?! :lol

·
Downtown Sport Commuter
873 Posts
Get well soon. Busted fairings and a scraped pipe is sexy on a bike. Don't fix it to impress other people, fix it when you're ready to move on. BTW, yellow is an ideal color bike to have this time of year. I parked my black bike outside for about 4 hours today and returned to find it coated in yellow.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TRaGiK said:
That damage isn't bad at all. Just need a new front fairing. Leave the pipes rashed. :)
I'll need to replace the bars as well. It's not immediately obvious from the pics, but the right side is angled a good bit farther towards the sky than Yamaha intended. I'm pretty sure I can bend the pedal back. But the fairing's gonna take me a bit to pay for. Hey, I can ride with no fairing! :p

Oh, RR turn signal is fuct too. Time to work up a pseudo-undertail and some better-looking signals!

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
make it a street fighter :D

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Check Ebay, and any forums specific to the Seca II. I found my front fairing for $100 new (aftermarket piece that normally costs ~$250ish).

Took me about 2 months to get my bike together, but I saved a SHITLOAD of money by taking my time with it.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Duplicolor makes high heat paint in different colors. I think I am going to make my rashed pipes orange. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

I bought an extra set of exhaust pipes from a guy that went down on the other side as me, so I have a fugly set and a nice set (that I'll leave black).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts