Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left the F4i at the shop I go to while I took the truck out to get some work done (cut down some trees and hauled what was left of an old brick composter out of a friends yard for a case of Rickards Red), and my mechanic said "What the hell, leave the bits n pieces here, I'll do the work on the bike while you are gone"

I get back the next day, walk in, and he goes "Uh, man, you are gonna hate me right away".

asked why, he says "go have a look at your bike. . ."

it's missing a mirror. . .but not a mount.

I guess he was swappin out the oil, and had the bike standing of course, and the bike ended up falling into him while he was checking the sightglass. the right side mirror ended up hitting a tech stool that was beside him which he had put his tools ontop of.

better still, when it hit that and busted off the mirror, the back end hit the ground awkwardly since he was trying to hold it up (kinda hard to hold up a 400 pound object when it's tipping into you unexpectedly) and cracked out the bodywork under the seat. it is fine, still mounted. just cracked where the bolt goes through.

I kinda sighed, and he says "On the upside, I found ya a set of them ones with signals in em. I can get em for ya soon as I pay for my transmission stuff on my chev".
at which point I started laughing. what are ya gonna do, right? He's replacing it, so fuggit. It'll never be a showroom bike. It goes down gravel roads and gets ridden in the rain and all manner of nasty weather. It's just never gonna be pristine.

Just hilarious that it was dropped, and I didn't even drop it!
He said he'll have a look into bodywork for it. but I dunno how much I really care. if it gets to the point where I can't mount it on the bike I'll probably tell him to replace it. if not, fuck it.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
You should still be legal with one mirror. But hey, he's paying for them, with the signals!

For the back, you can take it off, and use a soldering iron to the backside, and weld it back together.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You can find mirors all day long in eBay for under $20. Tell him to knock $20 off th bill and call it good.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Think I picked up my mirrors for about 25 on Amazon for the set. My mom's room mate knocked my right side mirror clean off with a ladder while I was out of town for work a couple years ago. I bought some of that plastic epoxy shit and rigged it back together long enough for the new ones to arrive. For the most part I was riding around with one mirror because I couldn't get the rigged one to adjust right without breaking again.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
No offense...but I dont know whats worse, that you can chop trees and not do an oil change or that you have a mechanic you take it to that cant do an oil change without dropping the bike.

I hate oil changes, but damn if thats not the best time for mechanics to totally piss you off...motorcycle, car, or truck. I force myself to do my own work because no one else seems to care for my stuff as much as I do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Obviously its not an appearance thing for either of us. Let me give you another example. I was riding one day and wanted to see how far I can go on reserve fuel. Aaa sends a tow truck with fuel. The driver puts a dirty funnel in my tank and pours gas in my tank. This high school drop out started to argue with me about how its ok even after I told him I have a degree in mechanical engineering. My bike was naked and definitely a beater and he had that attitude of f me and f my bike.

Its like I always say, you cant pay people to care.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Wait. You wanted to see how far you could go on reserve and then called AAA? why didn't you just strap a gas tank on your tail?
Long story...and it was the weekend and I was bored anyways. And I probanly lost track of the miles because I was shopping for a new bike.

On my new bike the first thing i did was add a platform for a tailbag...tailbag is to hide the spare gas. Im sure theres a california law against it so I have to hide it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In Missouri you don't need mirrors or blinkers for that matter, I just turn around and look when changing lanes, been doing it for thousands of miles now no problem.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can find mirors all day long in eBay for under $20. Tell him to knock $20 off th bill and call it good.
He's buying the ones he found on ebay for me. I've known the guy since 1st grade, it's no real issue.

You should still be legal with one mirror. But hey, he's paying for them, with the signals!

For the back, you can take it off, and use a soldering iron to the backside, and weld it back together.
I'll have to check local laws. Saskatchewan is pretty fucking stupid with some driving laws.

No offense...but I dont know whats worse, that you can chop trees and not do an oil change or that you have a mechanic you take it to that cant do an oil change without dropping the bike.

I hate oil changes, but damn if thats not the best time for mechanics to totally piss you off...motorcycle, car, or truck. I force myself to do my own work because no one else seems to care for my stuff as much as I do.

Way to be an ass as usual.
normally I do all my own work (can YOU put injectors into a 1st gen powerstroke? what about a turbo swap? basic shit like balljoints? )
Secondly, he DOES care. hence why he cowboyed up and offered to cover the parts.
Guy is a good mechanic. Shit happens. he hasn't done an oil change or ANYTHING really on a bike since he was 15 and had a GS550.
On the flip side-if you broke something of his...

I like the "You break you buy" attitude. I would say "I just want it like it was before".
I have broken things of his. He did the same as me, and I the same as him. Christ I took his arctic cat snowmobile out and ended up ramping it over a trailer, hitting his polaris and cracking an 800 dollar bellypan, and flipping the cat.

He laughed and went "well, maybe the first time on a sled is a bad time to be out in a blizzard and trying to follow me at 70mph back to the truck".

Still haven't paid him for that bellypan. I keep offering, he keeps saying "It's a sled. shit breaks. spend your money on something that actually needs fixing"

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nah, he digs wimminz.

Reactions: beowulf2k

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
way to be an ass about my reply...you said you took it for an oil change. my comment wasn't directed towards him at all. try again.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
except you insulted a friend of mine, and me.

blatantly.

that's called, being an ass.

class dismissed. Please report back to P&R, where your presence is less distracting for the rest of us.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
except you insulted a friend of mine, and me.

blatantly.

that's called, being an ass.

class dismissed. Please report back to P&R, where your presence is less distracting for the rest of us.
I searched for an 'insult'..:santafinger sorry i offended your sensitive ass and your boyfriend. best of luck with your future oil changes :boid

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
from the amount of butthurt I'm getting from you, sounds like you're disappointed you weren't invited.

by the way:
as a rule, whenever some dumbass starts with "no offense but. . .", they are pretty well always being an ass.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
And its free gas delivered...I rarely use up all them calls.

Haha. I didn't think about it like that. Maybe I should be making a couple of calls a year just for the free gas! :eek:nfloor

I have broken things of his. He did the same as me, and I the same as him. Christ I took his arctic cat snowmobile out and ended up ramping it over a trailer, hitting his polaris and cracking an 800 dollar bellypan, and flipping the cat.

He laughed and went "well, maybe the first time on a sled is a bad time to be out in a blizzard and trying to follow me at 70mph back to the truck".

Still haven't paid him for that bellypan. I keep offering, he keeps saying "It's a sled. shit breaks. spend your money on something that actually needs fixing"
If I was in this situation than I probably wouldn't push the issue of replacing everything either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts