1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
839 Posts
i have a Dunlop 208 on the back of my bike and I like it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was doing like 35 in the front and 30-32 in the rear, the front looks like crap now though, although still plenty of treat, compared to where I've had my other tires in the past the back still has some life, but it just doesn't feel good anymore. I'd like something I could feel comfortable knee dragging yet still getting decent miles out of it.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
I had a set of D208s on my bike. They stick very good and have excellent wet traction. The rear only lasted about 2,500 miles while the front was about 5,000 with no cupping.

I then went to D220 hoping for more mileage out the rear......only got about 3,500. The front cupped very badly around 3,000 and the traction wasn't that great.

Now i have a set of Mich. Pilot Roads on and am very happy so far........400 miles on them

·
Registered
418 Posts
I literally just came back from replacing a cupped front tire as well as replacing a back tire that had a nail in it. I had stock D208's on mine as well and other than the front tire cupping I have no complaints about the back. Handled well.

Just put GP's on (11 miles and counting) so I'm looking forward to feeling what the difference will be. I'm told the GP's handle allot better.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is so troubling, I can get race take offs for 150, installed. Or I can spend 230 on two new tires, and then spend probably another 30-50 to get them installed. Hmmm

·
Curve Connaisseur
364 Posts
^
^
^
:nuts "I'm with stupid".......

Dunlops are junk......try the Metzler M-1 or Diablo Corsa.....i've ran both and they are great tires for semi-aggressive/aggressive... street/track use.......they are sticky and you can expect about 2-3 thousand miles out of a rear and about double out of the front....really depends on your riding habits and how much HP your putting to the ground.........good luck..... :beer

·
Registered
225 Posts
Another happy PilotRoad user here. A great street tire. All the stick I need and wearing real well.2000 mi and they still look nearly new. Excellent in wet and crappy conditions too. Got a good price at the shop where I bought the bike. A little mumbling about the low on-line prices and the dealer's price dropped quick. Have also heard good things about the Avon Azaro 45/46 combo.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
www.cyclegear.com

bridgestone bt-020's

$15 to mount if you bring in loose wheels

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had bridgestones on mine stock, they felt good, but once I put the M1 on my rear, I was hooked. My buddy has the 208's on his zx9, he likes them, but is not raving about them. I've also heard lots of good things about the Pilot Powers, but if you're not looking that agressive, go for the Pilot Sports or the M1's, Pilot streets will give you better wet, but they arent nearly as agressive as the pilot Sports. For My money, Pilot Sports or M1 Sportec

·
Registered
775 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
I had bridgestones on mine stock, they felt good, but once I put the M1 on my rear, I was hooked. My buddy has the 208's on his zx9, he likes them, but is not raving about them. I've also heard lots of good things about the Pilot Powers, but if you're not looking that agressive, go for the Pilot Sports or the M1's, Pilot streets will give you better wet, but they arent nearly as agressive as the pilot Sports. For My money, Pilot Sports or M1 Sportec
Do they make

I really liked the grip of the M1 Sportecs, but the rear seemed to wear too quickly in the middle. I don't recall how many miles I have gone, but after a couple roads trips, a few weekends in the twisties and one track day they are done. Dunno, maybe I am expecting too much, but I just installed a Pilot Pwer recently...will see how that does.

Also, didn't they stop making the Pilor Sports? I thought the Pilot Power replaced those?

·
Registered
225 Posts
"Sport" compound tires wear out fast. They are nearly race tires, very soft. Hard acceleration wears out rear tires fast. Low inflation wears out tires fast. If you want tires to last keep them inflated to the reccomended psi,( also protects the rims from pot-holes a little better) go easy on the accelleration (that's hard to do :) ) Sport Touring tires last longer and handle rain etc.. better than sport tires. (as a rule)
Some folks go with a "sport" front and a "sport-touring" rear.
Some go with a second set of wheels (or a second rear wheel): one for street with S/T tires and the stock sprocket,and one for track with sport tires and a track sprocket.
Some (like me)just run the sport-touring tires and find that they grip just fine for what they need.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
I have Pilot Powers on my bike front and rear...

I ride street pressure of 33/32

Ive done two track days on both tires and 3500 miles street... Both the front and rear are still streetable

If you ride recommended tire pressure on the street they are going to be HARD as a rock and handle noticable worse than 3-4 lbs less. I think 3500 miles on the street plus two track days (170 miles total track) is pretty damn good for a rear tire, especially considering I could still keep it on, which I will till my next track day I think.

My point is they dont wear out that fast and the power's are one hell of a tire. I dont do burnouts or other dumb shit like that, but I like acceleration and have gotten them to power slide so its not like im babying the tires....

*EDIT* and on the subject of the 208's they are noticably lower quality and dont last that much longer, I only paid about $10 more for my power than a 208 when I paid full price at a local shop....... Of course Cycle Gear just had a sale and I paid $106 for a power 180 series :banana cant beat that!!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
you might look at some metzeler z6's if you do alot of commuting, I've gotten around 7k miles out of a pair

1 - 18 of 18 Posts