Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's a new rider... have experience with his friends sportbikes, rides dirtbikes..

Told him to stay away from these bikes but didn't listen to me.. he did how ever took my advise and signed up for MSF.. he has a helmet, gloves and jacket.. trying to buy some pants now..

Anyway.. I do like the bike.. he got it from a lady who owned 3 motorcycles.. she really did a nice job with upgrades.. I like the turn signals and tail lights a lot.. nice pipe on it too.. The chain guard looks sweet

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
yep, props for the course. +1 for choosing a gixxer too :dblthumb

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he thinks the chain is loose... I don't know how to really know if it is.. how much slack should a chain have? Also, how much is a new chain?

thanks
Rob

·
Registered
806 Posts
If he's not sure about adjustments and such, maybe he should read the owner's manual? It's a good way to learn about your new bike. He'll learn more by finding the answer than if it's given to him. And if you're not sure of the answer yourself, help him find it. That's information anyone who owns a motorcycle should know.
Shane

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
nice bike, and at least he has some gear and is taking the msf; I would have chose something else to start out on though.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Nice bike.... have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
426 Posts
owners manual.... all that is in there. At least in mine, it lays out step by step how to perform some of the simple maintenance on your bike. Just make sure to tell him it's better to have a loose chain then a tight one. There should always be some slack in there. If your chain is on to tight, then there will be tension in the chain as it gets streched through the course of ridding. To much tension and snap...

He should be fine, as long as he doesn't ride around like a street racer. Though that's what most people get a sportbike for...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Meh it's not too bad, a GSX-R750 in thrornton isn't even really as powerful as a 600 at sea level, I know my 954 wasn't until I geared it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
nice choice on the gix.as far a chain tension goes.u take a fat screwdriver andput it under ur chain by ur back sprocket.when u tighten the chain the screwdriver will leave the desired slack.after u tighten just pull the screwdriver out.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'ts a 2000.. I'm just glad he at least got gear and signed up for MSF.. He's not a total noob which should help him.. He's hasn't gone past the speed limit yet but he has put 600 miles in 1 week so far. Hopefully he'll be ok.

I got my bike used and it didn't come with an owner's manual.. but I'll tell him to read his about the chain.. We looked at parts411 and looks like chains go for about $41.00.. does that sounds about right? Any suggestions on a brand of chains if he wants a new one?

·
loner
201 Posts
best choice for a bike? perhaps not, but who knows? if he goes through the steps and has a little luck (like all riders that get past their first couple of years), then he'll be fine. he's already done better than this kid i overheard at a party: brand new '05 GSXR600, about 10 minutes of road time and liability insurance = $2500 repair bill.

·
sHooTer
56 Posts
yeah man got an other gixxer man!! welcome to ya( or him whatever)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Any chain you get for $41 won't last longer than it takes to put it on. Tell him to get a quality o-ring or x-ring chain from a brand name like DID. I just bought one for my CBX, cost me about $100. But it should last several years with proper adjustment and lubrication.
A guy near here got killed when his chain broke and locked up his rear tire. Sometimes it's not worth trying to save a couple of bucks. Even if it doesn't break, it won't last anywhere near as long as a good quaility o-ring chain.

And as for adjustment....you should be able to move the bottom run of the chain up and down about half an inch when it's right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts