Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah it's about 2:30 AM and I'm still working on this pig...

Whether it's neglect or bad luck, the fact that I'm still here makes me wonder if I should crawl into a bomb shelter and wait a while. Of course, I could also be very lucky. Fate is... Whimsical lately!

About to buy a new chain but I decided I would clean mine up again very well and first check on some other things. So popped off the rear wheel and was about to clean it link by link with some kerosene and a toothbrush (the secret to my smile by the way)...

I decide to double check the sprocket and carrier first so I pop it off:

Can you see it? Besides the incredible filth of course.... How about this:

Still nothing? Ok one more...

They were literally back all the way out. I put my finger in there and they simply fell over.

Maybe that service light had some meaning to it after all huh? ;)

As long as you learn from me, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Jeebusus Sal!!!!!
Almost had a Unicycle there. Just another lesson on maintenance. This also shows you the importance of learning how to work on your bike by yourself. No Tech would have taken the time to go that deep into the wheel during a chain swap.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
SalKhan said:
About to buy a new chain but I decided I would clean mine up again very well and first check on some other things. So popped off the rear wheel and was about to clean it link by link with some kerosene and a toothbrush (the secret to my smile by the way)...
Kerosene? Sal, use Simple Green, it is GREAT stuff. Completely nontoxic and works just as good if not better at cleaning dirty grease off shit as Kerosene. It's very cheap. Go to autozone and get yourself a couple of gallons of that stuff.

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno man never had much success wit SG in the past. But then again, never soaked in it either.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
looks like your sprockets have worn down too...good catch...It will make me look more closely...I probably would not have looked there either...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Holy crap didnt look at the pictures closely the first time. Very good catch Sal, I will go over my bike wheel components with a fine toothed comb when it comes time for me to check these things.

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah not a lot of bike have the same rear wheel setup, but it's a good idea to check the cush drive bolts as well as lifting it up and making sure everything is tightened up underneath. Also gives you a chance to see just how dirty the bearings can get in there.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I dont see the problem. Is the bolt too rusty and about to break or what? "back all the way out" WTF did that mean. The bolt or the hole things. My bolts fall in by themselves untill I turn the whole wheel upside down.

How come its so rusty in there. my older 96 dindt have all that gunk in the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
is it a v-twin?

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Backed out" means un-screwed. When I lifted the sprocket out of the wheel, the 3 bolts were like that, I didn't loosen them..

And your 96 might have a different rear setup. There's no seal between my sprocket and the wheel so all the water and and shit gets stuck up in there.

And yes, the Aprilia RSV Mille are Twins.

SnookayDCC said:
I dont see the problem. Is the bolt too rusty and about to break or what? "back all the way out" WTF did that mean. The bolt or the hole things. My bolts fall in by themselves untill I turn the whole wheel upside down.

How come its so rusty in there. my older 96 dindt have all that gunk in the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
blue locktite EVERYTHING. i have like 4 tubes of blue locktite laying around my garage. vtwin vibes will loosen that stuff fast.

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah and don't forget the Anti-seize too.

This was actually a common problem from what I've heard. I can't believe they didn't put something on them from the factory to prevent something like this.

fengler said:
blue locktite EVERYTHING. i have like 4 tubes of blue locktite laying around my garage. vtwin vibes will loosen that stuff fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts