Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, the two of us want to hit Animeathon in Edmonton this August. Last year she went as a Steampunk Mad Scientist Princess Peach. It was pretty friggin awesome.

This year I've got her convinced to go as Lilith from Borderlands 2.
She wants me to go as Krieg. . .
We have an issue. She can actually pull off Lilith with the way she looks now.

I, however, am not this cut (nor do I think anyone is)

That said, I would like to go as him. And it'd serve the double purpose of getting me back into shape while I am getting back to work.
I've never actually sat down and made a diet. Nor followed a strict workout routine. I've always just gone to work, worked good n hard, and gotten a bit stronger as time goes by. But I don't think that's gonna be an option here.

So I need some help with this. I don't have much equipment, but can purchase as need be. I'm pretty well totally out of shape.

Educate me. So I can go and make fangirls jealous. :D

The basic goals are pretty simple. A 6 pack, arm definition. The whole "upside down triangle" dealio.
Note: I will not be forgetting leg day. :D

Second note: this is rather embarrassing to ask, so try not to be dicks too hard to a guy.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well... you only have 4 months. Not a lot of time to build much mass/muscle unless you want to use steroids. If that's not an option, then a lean/ripped look is the best bet. Eat lots of protein, limit but don't eliminate carbs. Stay away from sodas, simple sugar crap. Some carbs for breakfast to start the day and some carbs immediately post workout to restore your glycogen storage. Lean proteins are best, chicken, fish, eggs, beans, etc.

As far as training, for cardio... interval training has proven superior for both fitness and weight loss. Instead of jogging for 30 minutes, sprint 100 yards, walk 50, sprint 100 and so on and so forth. Shorter episodes of this type of training is better than longer episodes of steady, less intense activity.

Resistance training is the most effective means of long term weight loss because muscle burns more calories than fat, etc. In other words the more muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolic resting rate, meaning that at rest, you burn more calories than you would with less muscle mass. It's best to vary workouts between heavy resistance and low reps with other workout consisting of lower resistance with higher reps. This way you train both slow twitch and fast twitch fibers.

In the long run, a ratio of something like 2/3 weight training and 1/3 cardio is the best for maintaining a lean build. In the short term you may want to increase the cardio ratio since you have a shorter time frame to reach your goals. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
EDIT:
We'll simplify this bigassed post.

From what you said, I did some quick googling, and found a few HIIT routines. I am sure folks on this board use them, so I'll let someone chime in. What you're saying is to combine a weight training routine and a HIIT routine in some form of ratio leaning toward the weight training, correct?

My diet, from what you say, is pretty damn good. I probably eat too many steaks compared to pounds of fish, but there isn't much (if at any) soda or fast food anymore. same with sugary shite. I just don't. I snack on broccoli, or peas, or fruit. I start the day with some form of fruit and pasta. Lunch usually involves bread. That might change (despite me absolutely lovin the bread. gawd I love home made bread). My metabolism is usually through the roof (which is good and bad, as I understand it). the first few weeks I was off this winter, in december, I lost weight despite not working.

Anyway, I'll look into it heavily tonight. Wanna get this started ASAP.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sounds like you already have a good base. If you add some high intensity interval training, you may not have to adjust your diet much, but it sounds like you might need to add a little more protein to facilitate that muscle growth, especially if your going to be tearing it down with heavier training.

As far as training goes, a simplified week may look like this for me

Day 1 chest/back (bench flat/decline/invline, dips, cable cross, pull ups, rows)
Day 2 cardio (sprints, bicycle, jog, swim)
Day 3 legs/abs (squats, lunges, abs etc)
Day 4 rest, drink beer
Day 5 shoulders/biceps/triceps
Day 6 cardio
Day 7 rest, drink beer, smoke weed, unprotected sex, eat pizza, meth or heroine

I don't do all exercises every workout, I vary and switch. I do maybe 10-12 sets for large muscle groups like chest, back, legs, and maybe 6-8 sets for smaller groups like shoulders, biceps, triceps. I'm not as strict with my schedule cause I have a 2 yr old and work schedule varies at times and sometimes I'm just lazy. I'm also old enough to just want to enjoy some of my vices, lol and I don't have any strict fitness goals other than to not be a lil bitch and keep up some health benefits.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A six-pack in 4 months is gonna require some pretty significant work... Like eating only eggs and working out 8 hours a day. Be realistic with your goals or you'll just end up being disappointed.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
You are young- and you haven't lifted.

Give up the idea of a six pack- that takes a bulk then a cut typically if you have no mass.

What you can do is put on some size.

And go ham. You're in the prime of your life to put on some solid muscle- and you CAN do that in 4 months with minimal fat gain- ride the hell out of it- you only get ONE opportunity to do it and most of us blow it.

Eat big
lift big

You should probably be eating close to 3000 calories a day if not more and do big compound lifts- get under a bar bell- do starting strength, strong lifts- new rules of lifting- something- but LIFT and add some pretty mirror muscle accessory work in for funsies.

NOW- that being said- you are re-couping from an injury- so right now I'd try to drop some body fat- and when they clear you start lifting... lift.

You as a newb- will be able to put on SOME muscle mass while eating at a deficit- BUT I highly recommend as a young male who isn't extremely over weight- just lift lift lift- and try to pack on msucle.

putting on muscle is incredibly difficult- it takes time and energy- an d with the exception of newbs- or extremely obese people the process is : you have to eat big and lift big- meaning eat a calorie surplus regularly (which is mentally difficult- it's not like over indulging once or twice a week). To get big and swole AND cut requires several cycles- Bulk to put on muscle (and by default fat) followed by a cut cycle to carve off the fat and try to maintain as much of the muscle mass that you built.

It usually takes 3- 4 cycles to really get a HUGE difference- one or two will get you notable results if you get to it- but the reality is it's very trial and error and many people spend a lot of time the first bulk diddling around trying to eat "clean" or worry about not putting on fat.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well that's discouraging. The entire point of going as Krieg is to show off a rockin set of abs. . . Oh well, can't win em all. if I can get it flat, and not have 5 pounds of flab hanging off my gut, I'll be happy with that I spose.

I'll get after it tomorrow. I basically got the notion for actually doing this at. . .noon. ish.

Pickpocket: You're tlaking to a guy who doesn't know what realistic is, cause he's never done this kinda shit. :D

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i can get it flat, I will consider cell shading it to make it look proper.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Well you can drop enough weight to get decent abs on four months.

But the problem is the longer you diet the slower your metabolism... Which means the lower bf%, the harder it is to cut. Do someone is 300 lbs can drop crazy weight in 4 months without much plateau or significantly negative side effects. But if you are ay 15% trying to get to 10% it's a lot more work.

And abs are almost 100% diet. Abs means low body fat. Not big muscles.

You could do a 2/2 bulk cut split and see where that puts you.

You can lose upwards if 2 lbs a week but realistically is 0.5-1 pound a week.

You don't need to be swole to have abs. I'm almost as big as this guy (I know him personally) but his body fat is pretty much pushing single digits.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Stupid phone. It hates message boards. I type all that stuff up and when I try to add a picture or adds it in the wrong fucking page all the time.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
You have a very difficult goal because it sounds like you want to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, and in a short amount of time. Our bodies have a very difficult time accomplishing this task because basically your body wants to either be in a state of net loss of energy (losing fat/muscle) or net storage of energy (storing fat/gaining muscle). In order to lose fat, you need to have a calorie deficit so that your body must break down fats for the energy that your diet is lacking. However, your body will also break down muscle because there is energy stored in your muscles, mainly in the form of glycogen and protein, and your muscles use energy just by being there. Your body wants to decrease the energy demand when you're in a state of energy deficit, so it will break down muscles. However, this muscle breakdown can be countered by continually using your muscles (strength training). By doing this, you're continually damaging your muscle fibers and then regrowing them. In a state of energy loss, you don't have abundant energy to pour into rebuilding them, so you don't gain muscle as quickly, but you'll either slow down the muscle loss, keep your muscles about the same, or gain more slowly. This is dependent upon your genetics, your current muscle mass, your current calorie deficit, and how hard you are strength training. When your body is in a state of calorie surplus, gaining muscle is far easier. You have that abundant energy available to regrow your damaged muscle fibers larger. However, you're also storing energy as fat. It is actually FAR more complicated than this, and the number of calories you take in is not the only thing that matters. It also matters where they come from. You can take in 2000 calories a day by drinking nothing but soda or you can take in 2000 calories a day eating lean meats, vegetables, and carbs sparingly. Obviously the latter will be far better for you and help you with your goal, even though the calories are the same.

If time were not an issue, doing both cardio and strength training in good proportions is absolutely the way to go. It's healthy for you, and you'll keep your fat down and still build muscles. But, that's obviously not the case here.

Maybe I missed it, but what type of body do you have currently? And how far are you from a six pack right now (as in, you've got an extra inch of fat around your gut or maybe a serious spare tire?)?

If you're trying to bulk up, skip cardio and only lift. This is especially true if you're a skinny guy, and I think I remember seeing you mention before that you were skinny. It can be quite difficult for skinny guys to put on muscle, and doing cardio will only make it more difficult. Trust me, I know. I'm naturally built like a twig. When I graduated high school I was 6'0" and 135lbs. After over a decade of lifting I'm 210lbs. I mainly lift, but I do cardio about twice a week to keep me healthy. I used to be an avid runner, but I now limit myself because I don't want to get skinny again. If I start running too far or too often, I lose muscle very quickly, no matter how much protein I eat and how much I lift. And then it's slow to build back up again.

If abs are most important and you don't mind not getting big, then do lots of cardio, and lift as well.

Regardless of what you decide to do, do it SAFELY! It can be very tempting to jump into lifting, cardio, and dieting at 200%. You're motivated and you've got a goal at this point. You want fast, fast, fast results. Well, one of the biggest mistakes you can make is to overtrain and/or overdiet. If your body is not used to exercise, you've got to start slow. You'll need to lift weights that are appropriate for your abilities and plan in rest days. If you've never lifted before, talk to a personal trainer or at least someone knowledgeable at the gym (and finding someone who is knowledgeable can be hard). Let them teach you the right ways and the wrong ways to lift. An injury from bad techniques or overtraining could very easily lead to a several-month recovery instead of steady gains. This is something I wish someone had told me when I started lifting. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I was 20 decided I wanted to build muscles and just started lifting. My technique was bad and I injured myself quite a few times the first few years I was lifting. Eventually I got it figured out and know how to properly lift now, but it would have been nice to have someone teach me rather than me figure it out by myself with injuries along the way. And the same goes for dieting. A good diet is essential for the goals you have... But you need to keep a diet that is healthy for your body.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks max!

I'm somewhere between 6'2 and 6'3 on the average day, and I weigh about 170 as of this morning. Right now I'd guess at around an inch of body fat around the gut. . .? Did some quick google searching for body fat calculators, plugged in the numbers to a few of them, and got numbers between 13.5% and 15% body fat. Is this good?
Is this bad?

I don't even know right now. I know the first HIIT routine I did this morning beat me like an unwanted stepchild. :D

I understand that the August, Animeathon goal is probably out of reach. But I might as well hit it hard and get going to try and set myself up well for next year's Comicon, which is in April up here.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
You are much taker than I am and weigh the same.

Me thinks just busting your ass (safely) will get you some definition in four months. But i am not sure HIIT is going to get you there
if you don't have access to a gym, check out strength unbound. Com... Body weight training for progressive loading.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So hard to eat right when she keeps making you cheesecake and apple turnovers and other friggin awesome baking that is just in no way shape or form conducive to getting into shape. . . dammit.

I will persist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts