Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've ridden both dirt bikes, and cruisers and tried out a few bikes slated toward beginners (The SV650, Ninja 650, and the Fz6r) But I'm pretty green with sports bikes to be honest; the three I've tested I didn't get up past 3rd and 4th (Dealer instructions :duh2 )
I know I should probably just wait til the right deal falls into my lap for a bike I'll like but currently my credit union is willing to finance me as well as the fact that during my busy season (right now) I'm making around the ballpark of $2 1/2K a month... Soooo I'm torn between waiting and just biting the bullet and buying a new bike to have fun on; also I'm chomping at the bit (And my helmet strap) to get my ass in the saddle and ride!
I'm wanting to know what you more seasoned riders think on the subject; sit and stew or drop some cash and play?
I've got a number of bikes I'm looking at in a number of locations at a number of prices but I've got so many questions about each one and every dealer I chat with just tries to talk me into the fanciest newest they have in the room.
I'm looking into used:
2006 GS500F with 4k Miles in Concord California for 3K (I'd be riding it from Concord back to Reno)
2013 Ninja 300 8K Miles in Concord Ca. for $3999 (Same as the first on taking it home)
2014 Ninja 300 Brand spanking new from the dealership here in Reno for $4999 (I'd be home already but its a lot of money)
Brand new CBR500 in Reno for $6999 (Ouch in the wallet)
And a number of used Ninja 650's both in Reno and in Sacramento (The sellers of which have ignored my emails :( even telling them I can have cash in less than a week. (one an 06 for 3800, one 08 for 4199 and an 09 for 4200)
I don't really know what would be reasonable prices on most of these bikes so I'd like to know what yah'll think.

As for my needs on the bike I get? I'd like to be able to ride from Reno the SF (As I make the trip quite often) I'd like to be able to go with the flow of highway and freeway traffic, I'd like to be able to make my 40minute commute too and from work (And have a blast doing so), and finally I'd love to have the power needed to get out of trouble if I need to (No I don't mean running from cops I mean extracting myself from stupid drivers around me)
I don't want to start this journey on a supersport and end up dead personally. I'd really like to have a bike that I can go fast on but isn't out to kill me! I'm a very responsible driver; follow the speed limit (Well maybe 5 over if I feel it's understandable and safe enough [lets be honest I'm a 21 year old going on 22 and I like speed]), drive safely, and obey all laws.
Also I really love the price on the insurance for each of the bikes listed above all under 200 a year (Except the new 300 or cbr500 both of those were a bit do to being brand new) Also a supplemental I don't want a 600+ Super sport to begin with due to the fact that I'm pretty sure my significant other would skin me alive when the insurance comes in haha

Anyway Thanks for all of your help guys!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You'd be fine with pretty much anything. Ninja 500's (also called EX500) would be a good bike. Pretty docile at low rpms but decently quick once you get past 7k. Akumu, Half-fast ride, myself, mpusch, and a few others I'm forgetting started out with them and we loved them. They didn't change from 1994-2009 so year doesn't matter. Whatever looks good and is within your budget. The GS500 is also kind of like the EX500 in the sense it stayed the same forever. Somewhere along the lines it got a slick remodel but it's the same old bike underneath. Little less powerful than the EX500 but a good bike. Anthonyd5189 had one for a while. If you've ridden cruisers you could really get whatever you want. Versys, V-storm, SV650, Ninja 650, etc. If you want a good bit of oomph, I'd look for a 650 twin or the 500. The FZ6R is also a good choice if you want an inline 4 for more of a "sportbike" feel.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
There are very few occasions where a fast burst of acceleration will get you out of danger faster than braking or swerving. The 300s will do at least 100 and the 500 even more. Just remember, it's your first bike, not your last, and you'll probably drop it. I think any motorcyclist will tell you get one asap, they're a blast. BUT, this is the worst time of year to buy. Although in Cali its always riding season so maybe not

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If I was cruising down the highway at 70 mph in 6th gear on my EX500 and I went wide open throttle without downshifting, it still accelerates faster than my Mazda 3 in 4th gear flooring it. All bikes are plenty fast for the highway so don't worry about that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill talk with my significant other and see the thoughts on taking a trip down to Concord. Who knows maybe this weekend in sf i'll come home on a new toy. My problem with the EX500 is the carbs, I can work on them easily enough but I just don't want to fuss with jetting! Maybe I'm just picky.... I really kind of want something fuel injected. I agree that bursts of speed aren't as good as break control though. Who knows at this point maybe I'm just being picky? The reason I'm looking at buying outside my area consists of lower prices and better selection in my opinion. Pleanty of 600+s in reno but none that really jump out at me I guess. I'm really liking the ninja 650s looks along with the gs500s; the 650s exhaust is appealing to me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Then go for the naked SV650. It's a great bike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts