Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[BEGIN LONG ASS RANT]

So yea.... originally planned I should have been home tonight (tues), but still stuck up here in central Illinois. My dad and I drove up here on the 5-6th last week cuz my sister got married this weekend. Got up here just fine, all the wedding stuff went smoothly as planned so that's good. Supposed to leave to head back down to FL on monday morning, but friday morning my dad got sick again (chest pains, shortness of breath, etc... he has his share of health problems) so we call the paramedics and they take him to the emergency room where he spends most of the day, Has to see a cardiologist (sp?) and all that, but luckily everything came back clean. They let him out friday evening, so he was happy he didn't have to miss his only daughters wedding, especially after driving all the way up here. They wanted him to come back monday though for more tests, So our travel plans are pushed back a day... no biggie, we want to make sure my dad is OK. Anyways, sunday afternoon I drive up to Chicago (3 hrs each way) to meet up with somebody from cbrworld.net and then spend a little more time with my mom. Got up there fine, met up with the dude at a club in downers grove, went to leave about 11:00 pm and the car battery was DEAD. Got a jump but didn't want to drive all the way back down south that late as originally planned, so I went to my moms and stayed the night. Got the car checked out monday to make sure it was charging and everything, all good just a battery that ate the big one, so they put a new battery in it. Started right up and ran great as always, hung out there for a bit then left to come back down here. Half way back in the middle of nowhere on I-55 the car starts sputtering a little bit, then keeps getting worse and worse, so i pull over and the damn thing stalls, barely restarts. Once I let it cool a bit it just cranks anc cranks and won't start at all. Long story short, thank god for cell phones!! My dad and sister drove up and met me (and some nice people with a truck pushed the car to the next exit and to a gas station where I could wait safely). Tried a few things, didn't work, stayed the night there and this morning went to a local shop but the damn redneck owner said at least a half dozen times "I dun werk on dem ferrin cars. I'm an american, I werk on american cars". Ended up getting it towed to the Honda dealer in Bloomington, 50 miles south of where this happened to have them look at it. I had a hunch it was either the coil, distributor, or ignitor, but without any of my testing equipment (all in my toolbox at my work!) I really had no way to tell. Got a call from the dealer today and they say it's the ignitor, but of course none in stock. Should have it wed morning though, and car should be done my noon or so. We've just gotta drive up there and get it. Soooo, hopefully we'll be back on the road tomorrow afternoon, 2 1/2 days late now but that's the way it goes sometimes I guess. Hopefully the car won't give any problems on the way back.... this is the first time it's ever broken down or given any problems since we've had it.

It's kinda funny..... we drove my dads car up here, and my dad and I both have the same cars ('89 Honda Accord), both are very mechanically sound, but the body and everything is in much better shape on his (florida car -vs- illinois car... no brainer), and also has 1/3 of the mileage (164k on his, and only 35k on a rebuilt motor.... mine is 365k on original motor and everything, but still runs like new). Even with the mileage my car has never EVER let me down or given the slightest problem on any of my many trips.... I made this exact same drive 6 months ago in my car and didn't have a single problem. So this time we take dads car with much fewer miles, and sure enough, it breaks down... go figure, LOL. Oh well I think I've had enough ranting for one night, now I'm tired. So...
[/END LONG ASS RANT]

Hopefully I'll be home by friday night.... now we've gotta change our route so we don't drive through the storm strucken and flooded areas. I'm anxious to get back... I miss my bike!! :cry

·
Registered
96 Posts
Damn Jared it def sounds like your having an Adventure hope your pops is ok and be safe on the drive back home. When you get back hit me up on the cell we go for a ride.

·
wuka man
849 Posts
Believe me man, it could have been much worst. I have had an axle go bad one way of my trip and my alt on the way back.
at least there is someone to come get you. Hope you have a better chance coming back down. Plus with a car like that (milage wise), there is bound to be one disappointment that pisses you off.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
wow, jared... I hope your dad is doing better. Suxs about the car problems. Car problems are the worst when your in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Everything happens for a reason. You will be home soon enough. It sounds like you are doing well with all the changes and mishaps and the happiness of your sisters wedding... Drive safe...

·
I rock
1,664 Posts
yeah...keep buying those dem ferrin cars...

I'm all american here...no imports...and I'm not american (yet) :D

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
ALF/USA said:
yeah...keep buying those dem ferrin cars...

I'm all american here...no imports...and I'm not american (yet) :D
What are you waiting for? :bitchslap

·
Ducatista
1,812 Posts
good luck dude!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Funny thing the car was probably built in America :bitchslap. Get back safely bike nights and ride will be here!

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea this particular one was built in Ohio, as all coupe and SE-i models were, and now most of the new ones (but not all). Both mine and my roomates Accords were built in Japan though. For anyone familiar with Hondas, you can tell right where it was made by looking at thie first 3 of the VIN... 1HG=Ohio, 2HG=Canada, JHM=Japan.

Anyways, some good news.... cars fixed and running great, drove it home to my sisters house tonight. Funny thing, it was at the Honda dealer for 2 days, a place we figured would know best how to fix a Honda :rolleyes , long story short, the ignitor they originally said it was didn't fix it, they started giving us this song and dance routine, stories and info not adding up, and we started getting a really sour feeling about this place. They started giving us prices for an ECU ($900) and all this other stuff. So we just payed what we owed as of then, had it towed to my dads sisters house right there in town and I went to a salvage yard and got what I originally thought it was from the beginning... distributor. Put it in, car fired right up first try...whaddya know! So at least we're good to go now and we're heading off early thurs morning, should be home friday evening sometime.

And yes, I know it could be much worse!! Could of had a motor or tranny blow up, that would really suck! Luckily it wasn' anything major... I think the dealer turned out to be a b***** problem than the car really was, LOL. It's just frusterating though to have to deal with this stuff when your half way across the country, but then again I also realize that it is a 16 year old car so it happens. Anyways, I'll be home friday, so maybe I'll see you all this weekend!! :)

·
wuka man
849 Posts
dont you love it when you save a lot of money? Same reason i hate going to dealers cause they all about the $$$ and not actually fixing the problem.

Good luck on your trip and be safe.

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
beafer said:
dont you love it when you save a lot of money? Same reason i hate going to dealers cause they all about the $$$ and not actually fixing the problem.

Good luck on your trip and be safe.
Hahah... yea saving $$ is always good. Junkyards are great.... I've found alot of stuff at the U Pull It on 441 & 595, and some stuff like rare items for 3rd gen Accords (armrests and cupholders from SE-i's) I'll buy there for $8.00 and take home and put on ebay, resell for $75.00.

About the dealers.... that's what really pisses me off, that some are like that and it gives the rest of us a bad name. I'm a mechanic myself at a dealership (Pompano Lincoln Mercury), and we have great techs and we do run an honest shop. My paycheck relies on people trusting us (and me) and bringing us their cars to fix, but so many people have been taunted with the "dealer is the devil" point of view, whether from general word of mouth or experiences with other dealers, that they too try to avoid the dealers, not realizing that some are actually good honest shops. The bad ones spoil it for the rest of us I guess.

Anyways, hopefully the rest of the trip will go smoothly!

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
We got back from the Gap and tried to fire up the Mazda... dead battery... Really now, we have taken the car to the dealer for oil changes and check ups non stop. Right before the trip, the check engine light comes on for the third time... it goes off a few days later. I have only had the car for two years in Feb and I was a bit upset that the battery would go bad after less than 2.5 years. So we had road side assistance come out to make sure it was just the battery. He also checked the altenator... that was good. They were going to send a tow truck to take it to the dealer to get a battery. I didn't feel like getting bent over, so we just replaced the battery ourselves for $60 bucks... What I am concerned about is the check engine light coming on more than it should. I am also wondering if it has anything to do with the battery dieing. Since it is still under warranty, I will probably take it in and have them check it out again. But the reason I wrote this is because of a comment made about being bent over by dealers. Unfortunately, I feel the same way about the Mazda dealer.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hey Jared, have a good and uneventful ride down, man. That sucks that all that crap happened but at least you're on your way again (and will probably read this when you're back but anyway...lol).

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Onetrick said:
We got back from the Gap and tried to fire up the Mazda... dead battery... Really now, we have taken the car to the dealer for oil changes and check ups non stop. Right before the trip, the check engine light comes on for the third time... it goes off a few days later. I have only had the car for two years in Feb and I was a bit upset that the battery would go bad after less than 2.5 years. So we had road side assistance come out to make sure it was just the battery. He also checked the altenator... that was good. They were going to send a tow truck to take it to the dealer to get a battery. I didn't feel like getting bent over, so we just replaced the battery ourselves for $60 bucks... What I am concerned about is the check engine light coming on more than it should. I am also wondering if it has anything to do with the battery dieing. Since it is still under warranty, I will probably take it in and have them check it out again. But the reason I wrote this is because of a comment made about being bent over by dealers. Unfortunately, I feel the same way about the Mazda dealer.
It might be an issue with the actual light itself. That happened in my moms car, the check engine light was ALWAYS on and nothing was wrong with the car.

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WooHoo! Finally made it home tonight :) After replacing that distributor car ran like an absolute dream for each and every one of the 1298 miles home. Didn't even hit much rain either... I guess all the storms blew through a couple days ago, so that's good too.

Anyways, now it's time to go for a ride!! My poor bike has been sitting for a week and a half (that's a loooong time for mine, LOL) :lao

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jared, you going to make Sundays ride? Glad you made it back safely...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts