Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never been to one before. So after work I met up with the gf and went to dinner with her. Told her I wanted to swing by (cycle gear) and see what the scene was like. She said that was cool and have fun. I ride up and there were some nice bikes here and there, and 2 big ass guys on Harley's blaring their music. I park and walk over to the store and see what's up and there's a bunch of riders sitting outside on the patio drinking beers and eating dinner. Yesh. Check out the store and nothing really fantastic to be found deal wise, was nice to try on the AGV K3's but overall they still have too much bilt/sedici stuff.

So then I go back outside as there's some slow ride competition. A lot of people have shown up now at this point on 600's of all kinds from the big 4, and almost all of them had on leather vests with their mc club emblazoned on them. It seriously looked like a scene from Biker Boyz if you've ever been so unfortunate to catch that flick, complete with mean muggings to everyone not wearing their vests and all.

So on to the slow ride competition. 4 bikes are lined up and as you can imagine, last rider to cross the finish line without putting their foot down wins. I watch genuinely interested. One rider is blipping his throttle so hard while slipping his clutch all I can think is that if his hand slips......and it happened. His 636 rockets forward before he can realize what just happened, flips over backwards and lands right on top of the helmetless rider in the middle of the parking lot with sparks flying everywhere. He got up limping and his bike is completely trashed and everyone is cheering.

I look at my phone and realize I had been there for maybe 15 minutes tops. I then realize this is clearly not my scene and ride home. I don't think I'll be going to another bike night again for quite some time unless I suddenly find leather vests and flat bill hats fashionable.

tl;dr - squids gunna squid, here's a pic of my pos chick bike fresh out of winter storage with new fork seals and race tech emulators.

:squid2

·
Registered
286 Posts
RaceTech...yessss.

Yeah, there's a lot of that kind of bike scene over here too..not my thing. I've found that the people that frequent the local motorcycle forum tend to be pretty awesome, and it's easy to set up rides with them.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Pa is pretty well cruiser, especially Harley, dominated. I've been to a few Quake Steak & Lube 'bike nights' because my father went, on his 1 cruiser (a Valkyrie) to be sure. I'm rarely impressed by either group (sport bikers or cruiser riders) and their shit while at these fucking things. I think every single time but once my father and I were the only ones wearing gear out of the 100 or so riders that rolled into the place. That shit couldn't be any less my scene, and I pretty certain a sport bike only bike show would be a BIT better, but I don't care to find out...especially since I, too, own a girl's bike. :(

Now if only this weather would stop this shit :badmood:badmood I'd like to my emulators installed, too. (Along with my ZX-10R shock and few other things I can't/don't want to do on my own.) :(

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've been to one bike night I enjoyed. Local meet up in Wilmington and as soon as I got there it started raining. Trying to watch every squid run to there bikes and ride off was kinda humerus. So I grab a beer with a buddy of mine and we went to grab a seat with the last remaining rider. A 55+ dude that road a harley 885. Cool dude too. Grab some food and headed home. I think the reason I enjoyed it so much is there was only 5-6 people there and there wasn't any loud reving or burnout contests.

Most of the time when people tell me about bike night I make it a point to be on the other side of the city.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've personally never once had a good time at a bike night. Probably went to 3 total and then decided they are just general crap. I own bikes to ride, not to sit in a parking lot and hang with a bunch of dudes.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Only thing I've done that was even close was the BMW hot dog ride. Just ride your bike to some far corner of Chicago-land and buy dinner at a hot dog joint with 20 to 40 BMW bike owners. Swap a few stories during, and walk the parking lot looking at bikes after. Very low key, plenty of gray hair, most people have gear (textile). A good time and squid-free. Probably too low key for many people though.

- John

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I enjoy a "bike night" now and then. If I find one that's big and diverse, it's nice to stroll around and see what people do to their bikes, chat with owners of bikes I'm interested in, check out the vintage stuff, get a burger, etc. And my bike always gets a lot of attention, which I admit I enjoy.

PhilB

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
I've personally never once had a good time at a bike night. Probably went to 3 total and then decided they are just general crap. I own bikes to ride, not to sit in a parking lot and hang with a bunch of dudes.
Pretty much my exact experience. I gained all of 2 things from bike nights: A) a handful of GOOD, older, non-squid riders to occasionally tag along with on rides during the summer, and B) made friends with a guy that works the parts section of the LBS

Otherwise... why would I want to ride somewhere just to then sit in a parking lot and drink coffee? BOOOORRRRRIIINNNGGG

·
Registered
213 Posts
One of these years I need to make it over to the Tuesday night hang at the Ear Inn in SoHo.

I've heard it's mostly Ducatisti and Triumph dudes, so I'll give them a chance to sneer at my generic Japanese 600.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I usually go to my CG Bike Nights to enter the raffles even though I never win. It's usuallt packed with retards. Last time I went there I got asked if my Aprilia was a modified GSXR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went to a Harley night event the dealer I got my Harley at puts on once a month. It was actually pretty cool. Live band, food catered by a well known restaurant in town, lots of hot chicks etc. My chick and I hung out with the dude who sold me my Harley(also the store manager) who has become a good friend and cool dude to go riding with. It was a blast. Then I went to a bike night at Cycle Gear a while ago. What a difference:confused:
There must of been about 15 squids there. Everyone just sat on thier bikes and tried to look more cool than the other. My friend and I actually laughed. No one was in line getting food, except people who drove thier cages to the event. Every single guy who brought thier bike was sitting on it trying to look cool:cool: The only guy that would talk to me about thier bike was this new rider that rolled in with his 07' R6. Nice guy, told me about all the appearance mods on his bike. I told him about Twist of the Wrist 2 and he was blown away by it. He was buying the book and video from amazon with his cell phone while sitting on his bike and then thanked me.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I love my local bike nights. But they are at a Friends Shop and He runs a strict show. He lets people play, but doesn't stand for bullshit. A local stunter group always comes out and does their thing and He always has contests and such. Really low key. But I have been to a cycle gear bike night locally and while I support any business that tries to get a local bike event going,,,,,,,holy shit! You can just about cover yourself with gear from Cycle gear for about $300. Yet have the guys out there when I went were in shorts with no shirts. I watched for a little bit, because I knew some of the stunters there and then I had to leave

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now if only this weather would stop this shit :badmood:badmood I'd like to my emulators installed, too. (Along with my ZX-10R shock and few other things I can't/don't want to do on my own.) :(
It's super easy to do yourself man. Pop the wheel off, then the brakes, remove the forks, drain oil, put it back together to put tension on the stanchion, loosen 6mm hex bolt at the bottom of the fork leg, take stanchion out, drill out the existing 4 holes to 11mm, use a dremmel to take the flash off the drill holes, seal up the tiny little top hole on the stanchion with jb weld, set your emulator preload to 2 turns in, slap all that shit back together so you can recut your spacer material, take springs and spacers back out, plop in fork oil and set your air gap to 115mm. Bolt it all back up and torque it down. BAM! Done. It's time consuming but very easy to do yourself if you can spin a wrench. Took me a weekend and that included replacing the fork seals since I had em apart anyways.

The difference in ride quality is omfgwtfbbq night and day. I thought replacing stock springs was nice. Nu uh. The emulators are the HEAZEY son. You're going to love it. That and the rear shock to boot (same as what I have) and you'll be loving life so much.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I didn't install emulators, but I swapped to racetech springs and new fork oil without all tht work.

I lift the front end, still jack stands under the frame sliders, remove the stand, take the caps off the fork, and siphon out the oil.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well when installing emulators the legs have to get disassembled, there's no 2 ways about it mate. I did springs the prior winter and you still have to pop the forks out of the triples to properly drain the old fork water....err oil out. :D But springs alone are super easy and not nearly as involved.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Even the free swag or food isnt worth it for me. Id rather go to starbucks by myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The guy that performed the backflip for everyones amusement actually did win believe it or not. He got a rear spool stand with an MSRP of 69.95 I believe as a lovely consolation prize. Which he's going to need to slap his jalopy back together.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
This wasn't the Cyclegear in Fullerton was it? I've noticed a large amount of squids/harleys frequent that place and they're always doing bike nights at that one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts