Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guess who's back? I rode in from the rain a few hours ago. I left Sunday the 31st and was in Montgomery, Alabama that night. Long ass ride, almost 900 miles up. Birmingham the next day for Barber's Museum, then Suches, Georgia that night, then as many mountain roads as I could cover in a day the next morning - and that included Deal's Gap, up from GA into NC then TN then back into GA. I arrived in FLA last night but stayed up in Twin Peaks - er, Micanopy again, I mean.

Anyway, trip report soon, much better than the last one, tons of pics (mostly Braber's and mountains)... Got a speeding ticket, almost killed myself in the twisties three times (I counted), set some new limits but in desperate need of a trackday, about 2200 miles altogether (who needs a trailer, anyway? I just need some Gold Bond for a bad case of monkeybutt thank you much), best damn riding of my career as a biker so far... blah blah blah...

Hey wait, where is everybody? Hello? Anyone home? Aw crap.... Must be at the new place... :rolleyes :)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
When are you gonna put up pics on youe site?

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Sweet... welcome back! Glad you had a good trip and made it back safely. Sounds like you had a great time! I guess no problems with the bike or anything?

Must see pics :D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. Juggalo, sorry we could never meet up, I left on a Sunday night and didn't really have the funds to stay out in the roach motels for a full week (rent's due this week, blech!). But hey, you'll be back soon, no?

I'll have the pics and a little report up in a few days, I shot lots more pics than last time but most of the scenery out in the mountains starts to look alike after a while, lol. Plus I was mostly riding :) I really want to put together a brief guide of sorts for mountain-hopping out there, as the locals and experienced riders pointed me to some of the best roads in the area, and send the package off to a couple of mags to see if I get a bite. My first ride report was too damn long and not really about the locations, so I didn't know where to send it. We'll see.

But here's a quick teaser - during my first-ever ride through proper twisties (Hwy 25 in AL, on the way to Birmingham), my first-ever roundabout nearly did me in (Near-Fatal Ass Kicker #1). Limited sight distance means limited, lemme tell ya. I slowed my ass down after that whenever I came around a blind corner. I ran wide and ended up in the driveway of someone kind enough to put one there. You can't see them in the pic, but a local I had met moments before (works at 29 Dreams) pointed out the gouge marks in the pavement from someone that crashed into the guardrail a week or two before. Apparently he was lucky enough to miss the several-hundred foot drop on the other side and survived the crash.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
How about some more?

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
My Turn

Me and Mr. Honda, goin to the hills.
Been workin my ass off payin them bills.
Got no clue where I'm goin never been befo.
Might never make it there if I pick up some hitch hikin krakho.
But I'll have fun it doesn't matter where I go or stay.
As long as I can finally get away and go to play.
Tomorrow morning me and Mr. Honda and the van.
Are just gonna drive away neither one of us has a plan.
:cheers

Attachments

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
Hope you have fun KF...be safe! :dblthumb

·
Ducatista
1,812 Posts
very cool!

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
Damn, you are one riding dude

·
I am very sensitive.
979 Posts
Foto, That is Wolf Pen Gap isn't it??

Great pics KF, glad you got up there and your trip this year was not cancelled like last year's trip was.

·
I am very sensitive.
979 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm riding up to Woodstock, GA this weekend and do a day in N. GA mountains before I come back next week. My first long distance, hope my butt is ready.

Got to go change somebodies user title now.

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
Too bad it's so far away, my bud's here got homes and scooters there, they drive up all the time in something more economical than my 12 mpg 3/4 ton van.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Great pics Foto & KF. Damn! I am ready for a trip somewhere or a trackday

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kf, your pics make me wanna go back dammit lol But if you want something more economical, why didn't you take the 35 mpg vehicle you had sitting in the van? :neener j/k My bike averaged 38 mpg for the whole trip, even when doing 7K in the mountains.

CBR600Lady, that's actually Hwy 25 in AL, but it does resemble Wolf Pen Gap. However, when I hit the switchback on that road, I was ready!

Chiny, in the spirit of the SoFla forum: DO IT! DO IT! :banana Really, your new bike will surprise you with how comfy it can be. The ergos is very similar to mine. I need to do a trackday too, but the expense of race plastics is gonna keep me away a while longer :(

And now my next trip is coming up in several weeks, and I've no real idea where to go...

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
Foto, you don't necessarily NEED race plasics (except if you are planning on racing). We just have them because they are cheaper to replace than the stock plastics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts