Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I hate to say it, I should of listened to my parents.

I bought a 2001 r6 in the spring and I wasn't really able to afford it. I mean I could afford it but I was barely making it and my dad was helping me out quite a bit. I insisted that I could live with a bike as my only vehicle and just borrow my parents cars when I needed to the odd time. Hah, what a joke that turned out to be. It has been raining pretty well solid for the last week and my parents have been making me ride my bike to prove a point. It hasn't been fun.

I'll be going to university this fall and it will be a 60 km round trip everyday. I had plans of riding my bike while the weather let me then reinsuring my truck when the weather got too bad to ride. It turns out that I won't be riding at all because I have about 30 lbs of text books plus there are no lockers available for first year students unless you are fine arts! I don't really want to carry around that many books all the time. It would be nice to be able to leave most of them in a car.

It sucks that I have to sell my bike but it's my fault really. I should of waited a few years until I was in a better position to afford a bike. It has taught me one thing though, I won't be getting a streetbike. When I return, it will be track 100%. After riding on the track once, I found the street so boring.

It's not all bad though, I'll be able to keep my dirtbike for the time being.

I'll end this pointless rant now. Just wanted to bring up the fact that you shouldn't get a bike unless you can afford it 100%!

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Not a pointless rant..it may be an eye opener for someone who is thinking of getting a bike but not sure because they have to balance school, work, books and such. So you may have saved someone from making a financial mistake.

Don't worry in a few years, when you are more stable you can get a few bikes :twofinger

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I could afford to get a used bike next year but I have to pay for school which isn't cheap.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Just get a beater car. I know around here there's plenty of cars people are trying to get rid of for around $1,000. They're not the prettiest rides, but they get you from point A to point B. You'll only take a loss from selling your bike at the end of the season. So if I were you, I'd pick up a POS car and keep the bike you've worked your ass off for. THEN you can prove your parents wrong. Gotta love it when you do that to them. :D

·
Registered
912 Posts
Twinsen said:
Just get a beater car. I know around here there's plenty of cars people are trying to get rid of for around $1,000. They're not the prettiest rides, but they get you from point A to point B. You'll only take a loss from selling your bike at the end of the season. So if I were you, I'd pick up a POS car and keep the bike you've worked your ass off for. THEN you can prove your parents wrong. Gotta love it when you do that to them. :D

I totally aggree here. I can get away with just a bike here cuz it never rains in AZ. But you will lose a lot of money if you try to sell your bike now

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
When you do get another bike, get a street bike that you can take to the track or get a low-budget knockaround bike in addition to your track bike. Every once in a while it's nice to get up early on Sunday morning and just putt down a country road, watching the sun come up, or head out on Friday afternoon to go cruising around downtown in the summertime. Go completely without a bike for a while and you'll see what I mean.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
That stinks :( But you will get another bike later...they will still be around, I promise!! :twofinger

I guess there is no way for you to keep it till the next spring? Riding season is pretty much up in your neck of the woods...hate to see you take a loss on it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
sorry to hear that man. when I bought my bike, i couldn't afford it 100%, but I did it anyway and it has been the best decision of my life. I already had a cage though, so things were a bit different for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts