Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Did you like the YZF? Why not get another? There are plenty of well cared for examples going for $3k. I can't think of a better sports bike at the price point. I don't think the FZ6R has a good bang for buck.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think just about everything on the fz6r is fugly. The fz6, sv650, 650r, or any 600 would be 4k much better spent. But if it floats your boat my opinion is irrelevant

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But if it floats your boat my opinion is irrelevant
What does everyone think about this?
NOPE.

I dunno, I loved my 600R but I kind of want something newer if I'm buying another bike. It doesn't have to be that particular bike, it was just nearby and I thought I'd at least go take a look at it. It's down about 20HP/15ftlb of torque, not quite "half the power."

The downside to being a fat 6'3" guy is very few sportbikes are in any way comfortable. Or fun cars. I can't drive a manual Miata, for example - my knee jams against the dashboard and I can't get my foot on the clutch. At all.

I found a few YZF600Rs local to me, I might see about talking someone out of one for a song.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
That FZ6R is quite a downgrade from the YZF600R, 30hp less, more weight, floating calipers, non adjustable damper rod forks and a bargain rear shock.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had the exact same bike, same colors, up until a few months ago. The other guys are right - it's down on power compared to your YZF, and the stock suspension is fairly mediocre. The engine is nice and smooth though!

You'll need to sit on one to see if it's actually comfortable for you - I liked the upright position for commuting and hopping around the city, but the actual physical position of the footpegs, and the rider triangle in general, did not work well for me on trips of more than an hour - put my knees in a strange position, and made my lower body cramped, even with the bars forward and seat up. (they're adjustable on the FZ6R)

That all depends on your body, though - I'm shorter than you (5'11"), but built with a quite compact torso and long arms and legs.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have sat on one, but only for a few minutes at a local shop. I liked it as far as one can like a bike before you ride it.

Still waiting for a reply on that YZF600R I emailed about. Found an '09 FZ6R for $2800 with 2k miles close enough that I might see if I can get the owner to let me give it a ride even if I don't like it enough after to buy it.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Good looking bike and if you're searching for something more comfortable, it seems like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
A guy your size needs a used FZ1

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VFR is definitely on the top of the pile in this discussion.
Vfrs are the shit. I want one eventually

I actually got an emailed response from that seller a few minutes after I posted. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow morning. He said it's been sitting most of the year since he hasn't had a chance to ride.

I went to the bank this afternoon and withdrew $4k in cash so if I find the Right Bike I can be prepared.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a response from another seller so I have two bikes to look at tomorrow.

2005 Honda VFR800 Interceptor ABS

This other guy has a camera that isn't a potato, has almost twice the mileage on his, but also has a lot more done to the bike. There are a few obvious imperfections that he admitted to, so that might mean it's in worse condition than the other one, or better, and the other guy is withholding info. This one is also the ABS model and two years newer. Hm...

I suppose time will tell!

I don't even know that I necessarily want a VFR, this was just good coincidence.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts