Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 5 months of owning a motorcycle, it seems this is my main form of transportation. Even having access to an M3 I could drive, I still prefer the bike over the sports car.

I have considered getting a used Range Rover since they were like $8000-10000 for a 2003-04 HSE model, but I think it wouldn't make sense since I ride my bike alot more.

If there was absolutely no traffic and parking was easy to find in cities like LA, I would consider driving a car. But it's never going to be like that and anyone who drives a car is always going to have to deal with traffic. Driving a bike in LA is so much better than trying to go by car. Last time I was in a car in LA, it took like an hour to go 10-15 miles, and it's tough getting into a new lane if you're a big car instead of a smaller motorcycle.

But when it comes to parking in a city like LA, some parking garages have free spots for motorcycles, and there's always one spot open.

I haven't tried an actual experiment if driving a motorcycle on the same route as a car in a high traffic area will save a ton of time. But it feels like riding a motorcycle makes more sense than driving a car.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Buy an old toyota Hilux (some incarnation of the N Series) with A/C that you can drive on days when the weather won't allow you to moto. Then you have a rain day truck and a toy hauler

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I've had big commutes twice and both times it wasn't as much the driving TIME or ease of motorcycling as much as the boredom of a car/truck and the freedom/fun of a motorcycle taht make the commuting fun.

The big test is if you keep riding after your first big poo (scare or crash)
Buy an old toyota Hilux (some incarnation of the N Series) with A/C that you can drive on days when the weather won't allow you to moto. Then you have a rain day truck and a toy hauler
That doesn't happen in Southern California.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You definitely should buy the $10k 10-year old Range Rover, though. Solid investment.
:whistle

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
hahaha why does he think a 50,000 (more?) dollar SUV is all of 8 grand after a decade? a Chrysler Sebring doesn't depreciate at that rate.

·
Registered
250 Posts
hahaha why does he think a 50,000 (more?) dollar SUV is all of 8 grand after a decade? a Chrysler Sebring doesn't depreciate at that rate.
No, you can find one in that price range. Rovers depreciate ridiculously quickly after 60k miles. They need a LOT of upkeep and maintenance bills are pricey. 2004 land rover range rover hse

Disclaimer: my cage is an Evoque. Leased with a warranty and free maintenance. :lgh2

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
I vote get a Hilux - Terrorist vehicle of choice the world over and can be abused to no end without doing any maintenance. Just turn on BBC, CNN, AL Jazeera, RT news and you will be hard pressed not to see one. Factory equipped with T&E and Quadratec has RPG mounts in body accessories.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Never had a car when I lived in So Cal. Never could figure out why everyone wasn't on bikes. It was always warm, never rained, and the bikes were way cheaper and easier to get around.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Most high end vehicles that aren't supercars depreciate fast. My second to last car was a 2000 Saab 9-3SE Aero convertible, MSRP of over $43k, I bought it in 2010 for $7k with no mechanical issues and under 100k miles.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I could go for a slice of Blueberry pie.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts