Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunno if anybody read my other thread (http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=282899), but i will summarize it up real quick. I got nabbed with a reckless. Cop told me if i keep it down and not get into any trouble for the rest of the year he will drop down the charges. He is having a summons sent to me in the mail. So i pretty much have been taking it really slow.

So on Monday me and 2 friends are crusing along down in Newport, RI. First we get pulled over because the cop heard us "reving our engines". Checked our licenses and registrations (dunno what the hell else he was doing because he was in his car for about 20 minutes) then let us go.

Second time we are heading back home and i see a motorcycle cop comming toward us. I nod and he just stares at me. Next thing you know he whips it around and gets right behind us. Me and my buddy got over to let him go through because we knew we wern't doing anything wrong. He pulls up right next to us, starts swearing to pull the fuck over now. :dunno Come to find out he pulled us over because our visors were up. Me and my friend had our helmets on with our visors up while my other friend is riding around with no helmet in shorts and sun glasses.....yet me and my buddy in gear are getting torn into because our visors are up. :rolleyes I wouldn't have been so pissed but he was just being a dick. Saying next time we will have to go up infront of a judge and pay fines out the ass. I just find it ironic that he made such a big deal about that when almost everyone was crusing along with no helmet on. I rarley put my visor up because im always getting some shit in my eye, but the sun was going down and i had my tinted visor on. Plus it was hot as hell! He ended up letting us go.

And this is why i'm all worried about riding around because i figured it would be just my luck to get pulled over for something stupid and then have to go to court and try to explain it. Luckily we got off both times. :cheers

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
tmkreutzer said:
I never heard that you can't have your visor up.

I have never heard of this either. Might be just your state or the cop wanted to be a dick.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OFFICER737 said:
I have never heard of this either. Might be just your state or the cop wanted to be a dick.
I was in RI when it happened. I live in MA and i have never gotten pulled over for anything like that before and i ride by plenty of cops with my visor up. The first cop asked for our insurance card. We told him we didnt have an insurance card. He thought our bikes wern't insured so he started giving us an attitude. We explained that we don't have insurance cards in MA. He asked well then how do you exchange info. We had to tell him that we first get a police report done and exchange insurance company names and telephone numbers (#'s of the people and insurance company, if they have it on them which most people don't). But all that really matters in MA is the police report because once you have that the insurance pretty much takes care of the rest.

As far as the visor up or down goes, i was always under the impression that it was just for our own safety. In our MSF class they said make sure you wear proper eye wear but they didn't say if it was illegal or not to not have eye protection on. We were all riding around with our visors up anyway and they didn't say anything. I dunno if it was because it was the experience course and they just assumed we knew or not but no one gave us a hard time and no one said if it was illegal or not....at least not that i can remeber.

The cop probably just wanted to be a hard ass and maybe just check to see if we even had our licenses since we were out of state. Whatever the reason it was definatley un-called for to be a dick about it, but at least he let us go :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
In Connecticut it's required that you have eye protection on at all times when moving. Sunglasses count. A helmet with visor up does not count. You have to have the visor down. His attitude was outrageous, but that could be the premise of why your friend didn't get in trouble.
Shane

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Hell, what do they do with the half helmets and stuff? No visor, shield or nothing on most of them. Guys on the cruisers don't wear shit to protect their eyes. Hell I am just happy people wear helmets and could care less about the visors :lol

·
Registered
416 Posts
i have heard the visor thing before here to, a buddy got pulled for it
you can get away if you bike has a windscreen, but according to the dmv,
sportbikes never count as having windscreens

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
medic001918 said:
In Connecticut it's required that you have eye protection on at all times when moving. Sunglasses count. A helmet with visor up does not count. You have to have the visor down. His attitude was outrageous, but that could be the premise of why your friend didn't get in trouble.
Shane
bingo, same here in TX

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yea it's "eye protection". I think most states have it, you might want to check into it. I've flipped mine down a few times as I went by a cop, usually in town and cops aren't going to U-turn through five lanes of solid traffic for a visor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its an excuse too pull you over. I got the Same thing in NH. lived in Mass where they have/had a helmet law. My visor was tinted and it was at night so i had it CRACKED. Pulled me over ran my licence. Said my licence was revoked and arested me. Lukly my brother was around too get my bike. Turned out my reg was revoked on a car i sold months ago. How that happens i dont know. Bro bailed me out and i got too go back too visit him again for my court date. Which i paid court costs. Aparently at the time NH couldnt point my Mass licence.

Relic

·
Registered
813 Posts
medic001918 said:
Shane
Same with Colorado.. but since I wear glasses, I can have my visor up..

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Inky24 said:
Second time we are heading back home and i see a motorcycle cop comming toward us. I nod and he just stares at me. Next thing you know he whips it around and gets right behind us...yet me and my buddy in gear are getting torn into because our visors are up. :rolleyes I wouldn't have been so pissed but he was just being a dick.
Inky, I've had a few friends in the Belmont/Waltham area get bagged for something similar. I always wear a pair of carbonite(sp?) sunglasses that are designed with wind protection. That way I can have my visor up (which I do until I hit about 50mph), but since I still have eye protection they can't do squat.

Yep, thank Massachusetts. They can pull you over for this. Pretty sure Rhode Island can do the same (although they don't even have a helmet law :lol).

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Sounds to me my friend like you are a victem of "Sportbike Profiling"

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
GixxerJRG said:
So in florida they require you to protect your eyes but yet its not required that you wear a helmet. :lao
Basically, yes. Absurd, but true. Keep those visors down when rolling.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I don't understand how those guys on cruisers are on the highway with no helmet and no sunglasses... On the highway, I can't even flip my visor up and use my sunglasses as protection, cause I can't see shit!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Spike said:
I don't understand how those guys on cruisers are on the highway with no helmet and no sunglasses... On the highway, I can't even flip my visor up and use my sunglasses as protection, cause I can't see shit!!
probably because they are going slow as hell and that they are too cool to need to see.

btw your avatar is gross!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts