Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having some problems with this one Cisco Linksys E3000 Specs - Routers - CNET Reviews that i bought refurbished (seemed like a killer deal).

It worked great for a few months, and lately its been coming in and out. So I was half asleep one day and ordered this

Then at work i was reading the reviews for it and it seems to have the same issues as my cisco. so people are recommending the firmware update. I haven't opened the box yet. Im wondering, can i do a firmware update/upgrade on the cisco? would it help?

side by side, is the asus even better/newer/faster? i cant seem to compare most specs but so far things seem inconclusive to me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
First thing I do on any home router is upgrade firmware if available. Almost always make a world of difference.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
All of them are generic crap built around reference designs...

Save your money, go with the cheapest one, upgrade to the latest firmware. I've worked for some of those manufacturers.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
What kind of "problems" you're having with the Linksys? Most routers, even the crappiest ones, manage to work decently out of the box, most problems people have with them are not related to the router at all.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
"Dropped connections" mean you were having trouble with WiFi?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
By the way, that ASUS is quite a downgrade compared to the Linksys. Dual band N300 to a 2.4GHz N150?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I really don't understand what the problem with the Linksys is, can you elaborate?

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't access the internet. Since three other devices experience the same when it goes down, i'm sure its the router.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I doubt it because while it was down once the ISP told me the modem was fine. i should check that next time though.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Simple test to figure out the culprit. When the internet goes down, try to ping from one PC to the other and the router's address. If both pings are successful, the problem is your ISP and they are just lying to you.

By the way, does your ISP provided you with a modem or a modem/router? How is your router configured, to get an IP address from DHCP on the WAN interface, PPPoE, ??? What kind of service do you have, cable, DSL, FIOS?

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Simple test to figure out the culprit. When the internet goes down, try to ping from one PC to the other and the router's address. If both pings are successful, the problem is your ISP and they are just lying to you.

By the way, does your ISP provided you with a modem or a modem/router? How is your router configured, to get an IP address from DHCP on the WAN interface, PPPoE, ??? What kind of service do you have, cable, DSL, FIOS?
how do I ping another computer? I can't believe i forgot.

my isp gave me a modem. i dont know how its configured, but it has a cable tv coax cable going into it and a regular cable going to my wireless router. its charter communications.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Start menu, search cmd, right click on it and select "run as administrator". That will get you a command prompt window. From there type ping + ip address.

You can get the ip address of your computer using the same command prompt, type ipconfig. The router's ip address will be the "default gateway" address.

And you've got cable. Cable always give you a modem/router, go into the Linksys to find what is the WAN ip address and the default gateway. You should be able to ping the default gateway of your router from your PC. If during one of the times you don't have internet, all of the pings are successful, that means your ISP is having trouble within their network...

I really doubt the problem is the Linksys, the usual problems are related to WiFi and interference, problems on the WAN side, specially when using DHCP, are extremely uncommon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts