Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay heres the story,
I found these 2 bikes(GSX-R 600's) that were in New Hampshire on an ATV forum. I contacted the guy about them and he told me he bought them and wanted to fix them up and make one a track bike and the other for the street but he doesn't have the time. I told him I was very interested but the only thing was that he was in New Hampshire and I'm in Michigan:( Finally after about a month I finally found time to head out there with a buddy. We left my house at about 10pm on a tues. night. I drove straight there and we finally arrived about 11:30am. Took a look at the bikes and they looked pretty good. One was a 98 and the other is a 2000. He said he never got a key for the 2000 but he had one for the 98 so I got to hear that one run. It sounded pretty good and I told him I would take them. Handed him the $$. He started to write out a bill of sale for both of them:2eek I was like huh?? Then he gave me the title for the 98 so I was like ok. I then asked where the title was for the 2000 and he said I don't have one. So I just drove almost 1300 miles and didn't know that it didn't have a title. So I said ok anyway and he gave me a bill of sale. Got both of them home and went to get the 98 registered and come to find out he wrote his info on the back of the title but never switched it over to his name. So I had to send the title back to new hampshire and now I should get it back in a couple weeks. Went to see about getting a title for the salvage bike and they said it wasn't stolen so that was a relief and so I should have that title in about a week. As far as getting it inspected in Michigan do I need to keep EVERY receipt for everything I buy for it and get the vin number from the bike that the parts came from?? I have heard from some people that I don't need to keep all the receipts and get the vin number ect. Still looking for fairings too. This is a great site and have taken alot of valuable info from it. Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Congrats on the bikes! my buddy has fairings for 2000 gixxer, i could ask him how much he's trying to sell them for.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Endorphine said:
Congrats on the bikes! my buddy has fairings for 2000 gixxer, i could ask him how much he's trying to sell them for.

SWEET:banana that would be awesome!

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
You got lucky on that 2000! If it had of come up as stolen, well, it probably wouldnt have ended well for you. You shouldnt need the VIN from the bikes you get parts from, unless you use the frame and maybe the engine block from those bikes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just a suggestion from a guy who had his bike stolen this year: If you buy parts ask for the frame and engine VIN from the donor bike. You may be buying stolen parts. Hypothetically, if the parts you buy are stolen and the theives get caught, they may confess to selling you parts. Then you are in possession of stolen property. It's also a bit of piece of mind knowing your parts didn't come from a stolen bike.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you may want to make sure the vins on the motors match the frames. get those checked because you'll have to get it inspected and they will pick up on that.

Just for future reference. When you buy a bike with out a title. Drive down the road and call the police. Tell them you need police assistance for a non-emergency. They will send some one out. Just explain that you bought it with out a title and want it checked. That way if it pops up stolen, your close to the ass clowns house and PD can arrest his ass and you can get your money back. Only down fall is you would have to show up in court to testify against him.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thunderace1997 said:
you may want to make sure the vins on the motors match the frames. get those checked because you'll have to get it inspected and they will pick up on that.

Just for future reference. When you buy a bike with out a title. Drive down the road and call the police. Tell them you need police assistance for a non-emergency. They will send some one out. Just explain that you bought it with out a title and want it checked. That way if it pops up stolen, your close to the ass clowns house and PD can arrest his ass and you can get your money back. Only down fall is you would have to show up in court to testify against him.

Ya the vins on the motor and frame matches. I've already bought some parts for it and didn't get the vin number from the bike the parts came off of. Do I need to track the people down and get it?

·
Official SBN token hunter
2,115 Posts
in my state its only MAJOR parts, i doubt they would want vin for stuff like clutch cable, stator cover, gas cap...but maybe an aternator & gas tank they would like to know what bike it came from, just to verify it wasnt something chopped up

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
IN michigan to get a rebuild title for a salvage bike, they check the vin of the bike and then check to make sure it is road-legal.

They don't do a very in-depth check at all. It varies GREATLY by state. In illinois it's a HUGE pain, and is pretty close to impossible.

I think it's like a $10 or $15 fee to have an officer check the bike. Just make sure it has mirrors and all other required equipment for Michigan.

(i grew up in michigan and still have my license there, just FYI. I rebuilt two bikes when i lived there.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kevinwilly said:
IN michigan to get a rebuild title for a salvage bike, they check the vin of the bike and then check to make sure it is road-legal.

They don't do a very in-depth check at all. It varies GREATLY by state. In illinois it's a HUGE pain, and is pretty close to impossible.

I think it's like a $10 or $15 fee to have an officer check the bike. Just make sure it has mirrors and all other required equipment for Michigan.

(i grew up in michigan and still have my license there, just FYI. I rebuilt two bikes when i lived there.)

Thats awesome. Thanks for the heads up!:banana

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would have tried to get a discount on a bike with not title. That is a pain in the ass and worth at least 500 off.
Shit more then that . bc you gumma be loseimg cant do nun with. have to run frm cops . he ran lol have 1 paid it worth yeap paid 200 still have that bike. Cant beat it . shit just run frm em n youll be gooe youll have it forevwr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okay heres the story,
I found these 2 bikes(GSX-R 600's) that were in New Hampshire on an ATV forum. I contacted the guy about them and he told me he bought them and wanted to fix them up and make one a track bike and the other for the street but he doesn't have the time. I told him I was very interested but the only thing was that he was in New Hampshire and I'm in Michigan:( Finally after about a month I finally found time to head out there with a buddy. We left my house at about 10pm on a tues. night. I drove straight there and we finally arrived about 11:30am. Took a look at the bikes and they looked pretty good. One was a 98 and the other is a 2000. He said he never got a key for the 2000 but he had one for the 98 so I got to hear that one run. It sounded pretty good and I told him I would take them. Handed him the $$. He started to write out a bill of sale for both of them:2eek I was like huh?? Then he gave me the title for the 98 so I was like ok. I then asked where the title was for the 2000 and he said I don't have one. So I just drove almost 1300 miles and didn't know that it didn't have a title. So I said ok anyway and he gave me a bill of sale. Got both of them home and went to get the 98 registered and come to find out he wrote his info on the back of the title but never switched it over to his name. So I had to send the title back to new hampshire and now I should get it back in a couple weeks. Went to see about getting a title for the salvage bike and they said it wasn't stolen so that was a relief and so I should have that title in about a week. As far as getting it inspected in Michigan do I need to keep EVERY receipt for everything I buy for it and get the vin number from the bike that the parts came from?? I have heard from some people that I don't need to keep all the receipts and get the vin number ect. Still looking for fairings too. This is a great site and have taken alot of valuable info from it. Thanks alot guys.
You fucked . i had same thing . its like a parts bike shouldnt even be on the street at all . if you get pulled ova on it they deff will take it . so maybe pay 100 to 200 . just domt stop run

1 - 15 of 15 Posts