Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my accident where I got sideswiped by some middle aged woman in an SUV (who then took off and I didn't get her info, leaving me on the hook for repairs as I didn't have Collision insurance, though at least I wasn't hurt), I rode less and less, until it got to the point where I was basically riding once a week just to keep it in running condition. Then I gave up on even that.

This last week I cleaned up my carbs, flushed the fuel lines, cleaned all the old gas out of the tank, and changed the oil.

Felt like I hadn't gone a day without riding once I sat in the saddle, having put it together as much as I could bother (The fairings are still hanging on the garage wall, I need a new turn signal and to fix some cracks still)

My insurance is current, but my registration ran out in May, so I didn't go further than the ends of my street, but it felt great. It's running pretty smooth now. All I need is to fix a few last littler things and she'll be golden, ready to be inspected.

Next summer my goal is riding as close to full-time as I can instead of driving the car, and getting my wife better at driving manual so she can drive the Scion vs the Jeep. Also a full repaint; the tank is still Yamaha Team Blue and the rest is poorly applied PPG Hummer Black. I've gotten better at painting since I painted it in 2007 (After it got vandalized to the tune of $4k, the insurance payout quickly squandered because I was a 21 year old who suddenly had $4k)

I don't really have "motorcycle friends" to ramble at so pardon the thread. Any time I talk bikes to someone it's "DUDE GET A GIXXER! THEY'RE SO SWEET!" like it's still 2002. Most of the riders I know locally are squids that I try to avoid. :(

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Motorcycling is only a team sport when it comes to parking. It's nice to be at the track or canyons with buddies but riding together, in a group, especially with range rovers around...I dont think anyones a fan of that.

Welcome back to riding. I had to take a two year break and coming back brought life in my otherwise boring world. I wish you many miles.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
Glad to see you're back to riding. The cosmetics aren't as important for now. I know, having a pretty bike has it's points but how much of that bodywork do you actually see while you're riding? The feeling of riding is most important.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I uh... Kinda skirted traffic regulations tonight. Did a 7.5 mile loop around the outside of the neighborhood (I was only planning on doing 3m total, going to the nearest gas station, but I guess they're closed at night, didn't consider that.) with no inspection and only 3 of 4 turn signals (I don't even know what happened to the body of the fourth, but a guy on another forum offered me a set, hooray!)

Felt good aside from the "Any cop that saw me could write me a stack of tickets that would guarantee I'd never get the bike back together"

Oh well. It's 68* in October in PA, gotta take a little advantage of it. I'll be able to get inspected once I get the turn signals, everything else seems in good working order.

Also I renewed my registration about an hour after starting this thread, so I wasn't riding an unregistered bike at least.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Something I discovered out of desperation at 3am in Nowhere, South Dakota: even if the gas station is closed and the lights are all out, the pumps are often still powered-on, will accept a credit card, and pump gas. Might be important some day. As this was 10 years ago, it might also be obsolete knowledge, but many stations have very old pumps, so the more remote you are, the more long-lived this info might be.

- John

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I uh... Kinda skirted traffic regulations tonight. Did a 7.5 mile loop around the outside of the neighborhood (I was only planning on doing 3m total, going to the nearest gas station, but I guess they're closed at night, didn't consider that.) with no inspection and only 3 of 4 turn signals (I don't even know what happened to the body of the fourth, but a guy on another forum offered me a set, hooray!)

Felt good aside from the "Any cop that saw me could write me a stack of tickets that would guarantee I'd never get the bike back together"

Oh well. It's 68* in October in PA, gotta take a little advantage of it. I'll be able to get inspected once I get the turn signals, everything else seems in good working order.

Also I renewed my registration about an hour after starting this thread, so I wasn't riding an unregistered bike at least.
Glad you're riding again. Shame there isn't much more of the season for you to enjoy. Depending on the warmth of your gear, just this month and maybe the first few weeks of Nov.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to ride year-round. I may continue that depending on how well I get the bike together. I probably need new tires for winter riding, though.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
glad to hear you got back on, and more importantly, are enjoying it.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Random embarrassing story I'm not sure I shared here time!

I bought my bike in the almost winter of 2005, and had been riding in all conditions, all seasons, in Pittsburgh, then Indiana, PA. Summer of 2007 rolls around and I decide, since I have a free weekend looming on the horizon that I'd sign up for the MSF course, because shit, I may have been riding for two years, but there's always room to improve.

So I'm doodling about on a dualsport (I couldn't tell you what it was now, but I THINK it was a 250) with knobby, unsporty tires. My own bike being a YZF600R with... I think Pilot Powers at the time.

So we're doing the "ride around in a big long oblong" and I figure "What the hell, let's see how far this little thing can lean at 20MPH" around one of the ends... and WHOOMPH, the tires reach the end of the tread and I'm sitting on my ass next to the bike wondering what the hell just happened.

So I picked it up, did a quick end to end damage check, realized "This is a dual sport. Of course there's no damage with such a low speed drop, what is there to hurt?" and reassured the instructors that I was fine (beyond my ego, mind you) before continuing.

The only person other than the instructor in my class with any riding experience, and the only one who touched the ground with anything but their feet.

Also I want a dual sport.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Dual sports are supposed to be crashed. They're like dirtbikes. Look at all the pictures of bikes on their sides on ADVrider.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
And I'm up to 213 miles now. New clutch lever, replaced my brake light switch... almost done aside from cosmetics

In that same timeframe I've only put ~180 miles on my car. I last got gas for the car the day I started this thread and got a gallon of gas for the bike at the same time.

I don't go out much other than work.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Dual sports are supposed to be crashed. They're like dirtbikes. Look at all the pictures of bikes on their sides on ADVrider.
Not alll dualsports are created equal. For example, my XT660R has ATV like plastics, made out of polyethylene, they are very flexible. Dropping the XT results in plastics that flex and do not crack/break, but they do scratch, like on dirt bikes. But bikes like the Versys, V-Strom, G650GS, etc; have ABS plastics, it gets expensive if they unexpectedly take a nap.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I need new plastics on my bike :( Pretty much everything but the tail is cracked/ground down/broken. Can't afford it though, so it's all held together by hope and Bondo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts