Sport Bikes banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
UPDATE:

Basically She was on the phone for a while. I was just whatever... thinking. But we both calmed down and i approached her and i said let's talk. So she said okay. And we went down to the living room and started to talk. She was just telling me how hard her job was (nothing to do with the bike) and how she's gonna quit next month. And we just talked about family and stuff. And then we talked about the bike. Basically, we were both calmed and we didn't yell once. It was a persuasion talk for both of us. I understand her more and when she listened to my side, she understood me. But basically, we still have our own opinions. I honestly want her to understand me and why I'm doing this if im going to ride. I know moms will always 100% disagree with riding whether im 18 or 30.. but I dont want to ride when my mom doesn't understand me. I told her about how i love to ride. It's not that i dont have a good car that i seek a motorcycle, or that I want to hurt her or something and doing it out of spite, but it's because I love riding. And i also told her that Im deathly afraid of the freeway and night time which I will avoid. I think that did seem to make her more calmER.. but her point of view is very different from mine. She understands that Im a man/boy and she even understands that she will never know why I want to ride. I asked her "Did you ever in your life, consider wanting to ride a bike?" and she said no. And i said, well i do and I'm sure dad does too. During the conversation, I found out my dad told her to let me do what I want, because my dad understands me. He knows the risks, but between me and my mom, we look at the risks differently. Her view on riding is that you will crash and die. And the fact that one crash can kill can upset her a lot. However, the way she views motorcycles is very different from me. She only hears the horror stories, doesnt know about gear, doesn't know about the actual survey percentages. I mean I know motorcycles have risks, but so do cars. Are motorcycles more risky than cars? of course. but that doesn't mean you're gonna end up dying on one. You can easily die in a car as you can on a bike. I dont want to make her upset and sad. Because basically, we ended the conversation...with her at least understanding. I told her that I'm having this talk with her because, whether or not I ride, I want her to at least understand me. So that if I ride, she doesn't think "why is he doing this? Does he hate me this much?" and so forth. At least she'll know what I'm doing and the fact that I accept it. At the end, she was still against it and I'm sure all moms are against it till the end, but she said it's your choice. Didn't say anything about the car insurance, and im sure that was just said out of her anger. She STRONGLY opposes it, but if she said since i'm grown up and old enough to make decisions, it's my choice.

Well, this talk has made me understand my mom more. And i do love her so much. Id rather have her go against me cause of her love, rather than let me ride and not care what happens to me. I know she cares about me and I guess im just stuck in a dilemma. What do you guys think? I really hate making my mom upset and it just breaks my heart but I know that she'll somewhat accept it and dont worry so much after a couple weeks/months of riding. I even told her "hey, i might not like it. maybe i might get into a near accident or even an accident and i'll stop riding. But i wont know till i try it." and she does agree. She said at least get full coverage but think about what I'm doing.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Talk to your close friends dude, dont get this sort of advice here, this is where to get advice about bikes and bike riding. Damn good for that but not much else IMO. Of course, here people may be more inclined to be BRUTALLY HONEST. Some will say stop being a kid and respect what your mum tells you, shes paying the bills. Others will say do what makes you happy, she will get over it.

Your call mate.

PS post a picture of the bike

21 - 22 of 22 Posts