Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i'm deathly close to getting my bike now. Seems like it's been forever. I checked it out and test rode it and all that good stuff. Only test rode it in a parking lot though cause I didn't have gear and wasn't really in the mood to die that day.

But anyway, I posted a while back about the beat up f2 and the red 1992 katana that was also dropped pretty bad. Those are gone. :D And i'm glad they are.

Well, the bike i'm looking at is a 1995 Yamaha YZF600r w/ 31k miles. Salvage title. Yeah, when most people read this, they say to NOT buy the bike. But, let me go on. Guy took pretty good care of it. He got it back in 2002 and got it himself as a Salvaged title bike. CURRENTLY though, it's in "Rebuilt" title condition i guess. He got it inspected and registered and all that. So all I gotta do is renew the tags like how a clean title vehicle would do. He put it aside and stopped riding it cause he got a kawasaki zx6r but he crashed so he started riding this bike again. But anyway, here are the things the bike needs:

- rear sprocket. Immediately. Some of the teeth are completely missing.
- rear tires. I got a good deal on tires though.
- Light bulb for speedometer cause it blew out
- front brake pads

Those are it. Then, I need gear as well. Well, for $1100 (around there) i think this bike is definetely worth it as a first bike. Hopefully I can post pics later and join the "I'm actually a owner of bike" club. :D :beer

I actually had a question though. I did a HUGENORMOUS search on this and I pretty much got it down. But quick and simple. If i were to paint my own plastics and repaint my bike (right now it's flat black w/ no clear coat.... so there are couple scratches and chips) how much would it cost me? I'm not talking a professional Mercedes-Benz paint code with perfect work paint job. I'm talking.... rattle can special. I just want my bike to be BLACK. PERIOD. just black. Well, glossy black cause i plan on doing a clear coat. So how much to get my plastics, sand it down, and spray paint it glossy black and clear coat it?

If someone did this already, can you give me an estimate of how much it'll cost in paint cans, the sand paper, clear coat, and time. I dont even need the best paint or clear coat. I can use that 3M shit for clear coat and just have 1-2 coats of glossy black since the bike is black to begin with anyway. Well thanks, and any input is appreciated.

-David

·
Supersport Batman
430 Posts
For that price, sounds good. Plus you get to play around with getting parts for the bike.

:needpics

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure thing! Deathly close = Tomorrow morning. Well, TODAY cause it's like 2am right now. I'll be sure to post pics.

Dont want to post pics and end up not buying it!

If anyone can help me with my original question, that'd be great!

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
why the bump? Get the damn bike already :p

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

Got the bike. :) He came over with the bike, did the title work and all that and took him home. He gave me some extra crap like 2 more keys, OEM heavy bar ends, passenger pegs and stuff. So happy.. but hell will break loose tonight. The garage is a two car garage (very narrow) but I moved some crap aside so i parked the bike almost 1cm away from the wall. Then reverse-parked my car right next to it. Now, my parents will be home later on in the evening and I will be dead. So this is more of a "yay" post, but also a farewell. :D Maybe not dead, but I honestly have no idea what they'll say. I've read all the mom and dad horror stories when people got their first bikes, and hopefully mine won't be bad at all.

But back to the bike. It's great. I love it. I mean, it's not the greatest but it was cheap and I worked my ass off for that bikes. The fact that it's mine, and the Title has my name on it is something to be proud of. I'm sure all of you went thru it. :) I just looked at it a couple times and moved it around in my garage. (No riding cause i have absolutely no gear. Not even a helmet yet!!! It's gonna kill me) And everything seemed fine. I tightened up the loose slack on the clutch lever. All i need now, is gear: helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves, and repair: rear tires, rear sprocket, and front brake pads.

Cannot wait till I can ride. I'm gonna start off a couple days and nights at a parking lot and just get a feel for the bike. I'm also not riding freeway for at least two months, and avoiding night time as much as possible. I will practice by going to work everyday and that's about it. Hopefully I'll get much better and can handle the damn traffic in Westwood/LA! Pics will be up soon... but i don't have a digi cam right now. I'll try and get it sometime this week.

Just two quick question.

1) When you change ownership on a bike.. you need the title and a bill of sale right? What if you just have the title? I'm not sure what the Bill of sale IS exactly. The title had a top portion where we both signed and the seller kepted. THEN, on the front and back of the title, we filled out crap and I kept the title. Now, was the back of the title the bill of sale? Or do I need to print a "Bill of Sale" out somewhere?

2) Original Post question. How much time and money do you think it'll cost for me to do a rattle can paint job on my plastics. The plastics were painted flat black by him by a spray can but not clear coats so it kind of looks shiny and dull in different places. And has some scratches. I just need to make it a simple BLACK. glossy black w/ clear coat. Just want it black and no more. Don't need the professional paint and don't need a great clear coat cause I might drop the bike anyway. (It's REAL heavy)

The seller is a great guy though. He posted on www.socalsportbikes.com and his handle is "Mars". We both found out that we go to the same school (UCLA) and I got it for a pretty good price. He said he'll help me install the rear sprockets and whatever else I need and said I should come out to ride with the UCLA bike club. He even said if i changed my mind and for some reason I could not keep the bike, he said he'll take it back cause he'd rather have a clear conscience than cash. Real nice guy. Don't know if he's on this forum, but he gets a A+ feedback from me! :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
Congrats! Check out www.newenough.com for gear.. check out the closeout section for some amazing deals.

Did you take the MSF class yet?

Also check out the performace/customize section.. there is a sticky on painting your bike.. I think I just read that someone spray painted their bike and put clear coat for $150 or so (got the paint from NAPA)

Can't help you with the other stuff.. but check out places like www.parts411.com or something to get an idea how much it will cost.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Thanks man. I did take my MSF course and have my M1 license already. :) I also checked out newenough.com and that website is great. There's an awesome leather glove w/ carbon knuckles for $45!!

Thanks, i'll check out that sticky.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Congrats on getting the bike.
Save yourself some grief down the road and replace BOTH sprockets AND chain as a set.
As far as paint I spent about $165.00-175.00 last year on just materials(base coat,clear,primer,thinner,tack cloths,sand paper,semi flat paint for inner fairing/mirrors,also that amount includes about $35.00 in some high end body filler/hardener.
Still beats paying a shop $300.00+ do the same thing.
A buddy of mine just painted his V-max,cost about $100.00.
They don't have near the surface area of a sportbike,but he said he's got enough material to paint it 2-3 more times.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ thanks man. I dont even have a spray gun so im basically gonna spray can everything. Primer, basecoat, clearcoat.. the whole deal. :)

And how hard is it to install sprockets? Damn, I would change both sprockets and chain as a set but it looks pretty new. I mean the chain is in great condition.... so im not sure.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Good for you and welcome to the best club on earth. Hopefully Mom & Pop will settle down. They just care and don't want you dead, but they'll come around. Sorry, I don't know anything about ownership transfer. Been lucky enough to buy all my bikes outright. Have fun and be safe. You seem to have the right attitude and gameplan!

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone.

Here's an update: I did find out that you dont need a Bill of Sale to have it registered (i called DMV hotline) because the seller's name is on the Title. but if i need it, the seller is more than willing to sign it. And.. the paint issue. I'm gonna get a piece of plastic and experiment with my rattle can primer, spray, and clear coat job today. :)

About my parents. I didnt tell them i was getting it and i just went ahead and did it. Basically, my whole plan was to get a bike for college cause taking a car there is $650/year. I was gonna get it during the fall so my parents do not know while I'm at school but its better that i tell them, AND i need practice during the summer before I go into regular driving.

My dad was cool with it. He saw and said blah blah and then he was kind interested. But then, my mom got really pissed. At first she told me to think it over. But later she started getting more pissed off. And she said "do you know the risks? are you ready to get paralyzed for life? Motorcycles are one-chance thing. Your body flies off, unlike when you're in a car. BLAH BLAH" and started going on. I didn't say a word, i was just listening. Then for some reason, her anger kept escalating and she was like "if you want to pay for your motorcycle insurance go ahead. RIDE! I dont care. Do what you want." but she was really pissed. Then finally she comes back and says "if you want it do it. but im gonna cancel your insurance premium on your car after this month. So go ahead. Ride your motorcycle, but thats all you get."

Now, great. I thought she'd be pissed but ididn't it would be this bad. Dad was surprisingly okay. Any suggestions? I don't be using my car much when the semester start. Only on the weekends when I come back home, or when I need to use it. Other than that, my plan was to let my brother use it cause he's getting his license soon. But she's saying "i'm gonna take dad's car. I'm gonna give my car to your brother. And im going to sell your car and a $1000 beater for myself" I honeslty dont think she would sell my car JUST CAUSE. The depreciation is horrible and we're still making payments. She's complaining cause it's a stick but i know my brother wants it regardless. So do I take the chance and go ahead with riding? Or sell the bike, and just give up? I dont think I have much to do here. Thanks any help is appreciated.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ they didn't buy me a new car. Otherwise I would've never considered a motorcycle. It was a used car that I picked up last year cause our family only had two cars. So regardless of whether or not it's new or used, the original plan was to give it to my brother anyway. And I did pay the downpay or whatever.

Basically, im gonna have to decide whether the car is worth giving up the bike. Is it better to have a car... just the fact that I have a car. Im only gonna use on the weekend and stuff. And summer time. And i really think my mom is not going to sell it. I put a lot of work into the car and my brother's wanting it. Her selling it would only be out of spite and not logical choice. ONce again, if i were keeping the car, I wouldnt have bought the bike!! I bought the bike because a) im going to college. I have no means of transportation to around work. She was okay with me getting my M-license and she even opened my mail that had insurance quotes to a bike. b) My brother is getting the car in october when i leave for school. So I did what I thought was cheap, gas saving and a good thing for college time.

My mom doesn't understand. I told her about wearing gear. and she thinks gear is NOTHING. Her stand right now is that if your on a motorcycle, you gonna break something or get paralyzed, let alone DIE. you're GOING TO. Now or later. YOU'RE Going to die. that's what she's thinking. Basically, she does not know a single person that rides a motorcycle but she only hears the horror stories from her co-workers or my aunts. About how this "one guy" broke his leg and dropped out of college because he was in the hospital. And stuff like that.

Anyone have any valid arguements or some way that might convince her?

·
Registered
41 Posts
well...check this thread out...see the responses of the riders who have kids, and think about how your mom feels.

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283254

BUT I do understand what it's like to want something that bad, so even if you can't meet your loving moms wishes, then you should try and compromise. maybe reassure her that for the first 6 months you promise not to ride at night or on the freeways? or something along those lines.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
emilio said:
well...check this thread out...see the responses of the riders who have kids, and think about how your mom feels.

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283254

BUT I do understand what it's like to want something that bad, so even if you can't meet your loving moms wishes, then you should try and compromise. maybe reassure her that for the first 6 months you promise not to ride at night or on the freeways? or something along those lines.
EXACTLY. I didn't post it here NOR did i tell her yet cause I was so pissed off. But my dad knows about my promise. It's a promise to myself that i've made. I'm not riding freeway ever. At least until 2 years have passed. Not cause it's to persuade my mom and then do it behind her back, but it's cause im deathly afraid MYSELF. I'm also not riding in the night time for at least 4 month so that I get to practice in the summer time, and get familiar with riding and my bike. And, i'll be well into the school year to know the street enough. Maybe I should mention this to her and hopefully it's soften her up a little bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah definitely say that stuff...my mom agreed to let me get a bike if I stayed off the freeway for a good while which was fine by me, and then I threw in the night time there. so tell her that and see what she says...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts