Sport Bikes banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
That's all fine and dandy. But again, I challenge to provide a conclusive study that proves a Snell certified helmet is safer than one with only DOT approval.
Can't completely disapprove, especially since the Snell testing involved bashing the helmet into a steel post, not something likely to happen in everyday riding. All that said, every Snell helmet I've ever seen had more padding and reinforcement that DOT helmets. More padding strikes me as a good thing.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
IMO your head is worth more then $55. I'm not saying spend $800 on one. I stay in the 200-500 range. Your gear is the one thing you shouldn't skimp on.
So, to be clear, you're saying your head isn't worth more than $500?

Shouldn't helmets cost $1,000,000? Isn't your head worth that to you?

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Can't completely disapprove, especially since the Snell testing involved bashing the helmet into a steel post, not something likely to happen in everyday riding. All that said, every Snell helmet I've ever seen had more padding and reinforcement that DOT helmets. More padding strikes me as a good thing.
The padding is for comfort and offers no protective qualities. The hard foam is what protects your head from the impact, and the shell protects the hard foam from the slide and piercing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here's a fun question: are racers' helmets bear either certification?

I'd rather expect they don't since the top racers have helmets custom made for them. The modification would invalidate SNELL compliance from the consumer sold version I'd think.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Here's a fun question: are racers' helmets bear either certification?

I'd rather expect they don't since the top racers have helmets custom made for them. The modification would invalidate SNELL compliance from the consumer sold version I'd think.
Just because a helmet is custom made doesn't mean it doesn't also meet the impact requirements of both standards.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Which is kind of the point. The lid I bought the salesman at RevZilla tried to talk me out of is the Schuberth S2. Not SNELL certified and Bobby was trying to talk me into a new Shoei. It's replacing my Shoei RF1100 which is SNELL approved.

I obviously have confidence in the Schuberth to pass by a less expensive helmet because of a lack of rating. And obviously the racers have confidence in their helmets which bear no rating.

My advice is unless it's a track related requirement then buy from a reputable manufacturer and within your budget. I personally won't buy a "cheap", meaning price, helmet unless it's a closeout. My experience has been the low cost comes at the expense of features and fitment, which are also indirectly related to safety. A poor fitting, hot and loud helmet is a distraction.

Distractions can lead to unwanted testing of the helmet ;)

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
The padding is for comfort and offers no protective qualities. The hard foam is what protects your head from the impact, and the shell protects the hard foam from the slide and piercing.
You mistake me. Snell helmets have significantly stiffer shells and more crash protectant padding (styrofoam, if you will). The are unfortunately somewhat heavier in consequence.

I consider lots of crash protection a good thing, and will continue to purchase and wear Snell rated helmets. I wind up buying Shoei, they're the only things that fit me. So I take it on the chin. That said, my head is worth the money I'm spending. From some of the stuff I read here I suspect there are some folks who's noggins may not be.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Snell standards are stricter than DOT so I wanted to know *if* I needed snell. Doesn't really matter now because I just bought this Scorpion EXO-1000 Dark Silver Solid Helmet from SportbikeTrackGear.com $55 with free shipping seems like a steal
Sort of correct. The main difference is sustained G's over time. The Snell test only holds the impact for about half the time that DOT does. Snell tests for multiple impacts too. Think you head getting bounced off the curb several times a second. Dot has higher standards of time the impact can last;
Helmet Standards Throwdown - Snell vs DOT vs ECE R22-05

I really like the diagram in the above URL. "Fools gear" indeed. That needs to be a poster that can be put up in every dealer, shop and gear store in America. If I was a liberal I would make a campaign contribution to my congresscritter to get a law passed. Then track down the artist with the rights to that poster and join with them to sell the government 5 million of them at 50$ US each. :beach
Motorcycle Helmet Standards Explained: DOT, ECE 22.05 & Snell

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
That's all fine and dandy. But again, I challenge to provide a conclusive study that proves a Snell certified helmet is safer than one with only DOT approval.

As for the assumption that higher price = safer, I'll just sit back and chuckle at that statement.
R&D can go a long way.

Personal experience.

Here is one advantage an Arai has over anyone. Their shield mechanism. Yes, it is an absolute pain to change out, but when you crash, it will hold still.

2 wrecks, one in a Bell Star, one in an Arai Corsair-V (2009 helmet). Bell Star (2010 helmet) I was going less than 10, hit the face a little to the right, the shield flew off (yes, it was properly installed). The Arai wreck I was going 40, hit almost the same spot, except it was all the way down the shield. It stayed in place, and deflected several sticks as I slid down the bluff. Had I been wearing the Bell, a stick would have stabbed me in the face.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I got my EXO-1000 today. Except it shipped without a shield. So I have to figure out what the deal with that is. Their website said Note: All Scorpion EXO-1000 Helmets come with clear outer shield and light smoke inner drop down shield. I didn't get any outer shield :/

·
Registered
917 Posts

As for the assumption that higher price = safer, I'll just sit back and chuckle at that statement.
I will say this.

Higher price usually = better fit, more ventilated, lighter and better overall quality (the little plastic, glued on pieces don't fall off). But not safer.
Sort of a late reply but I completely agree with both of these statements. There was another thread on here where I stated something similar to someone who was wondering about the safety of a less expensive helmet.

I read an article that was discussing the different helmet standards. At the end of it the author noted that riders in an accident with enough of an impact to exceed one standard but maybe not another usually end up with severe trauma elsewhere on their body that lead to death, even if the damage to their skull/brain would have otherwise lead them to survive.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts