1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Smokin' Joe in storage for almost 3 years...Please, any advice/opinions

Hi there!
New here, first post....
My 1996 600 F3 (14k original miles) has been in covered parking for almost three years as I had moved to NYC. I am now back and although I will be (when I get the funds) towing it to a shop I would like to know what should I expect as far as repairs.

Grateful,
Dennis

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The full synthetic oil in it has less than 1k miles. I am worried due to the fact that I read the piston heads could be rusted? It was in indoor parking but I live near the ocean.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
depends on how much you did before storing it.

if you fogged the engine, and drained fuel.

change the oil, take the spark plugs out, get a new battery, put a little bit of oil in each cylinder, and crank the engine for a while to pump oil threw everything.

then put in new spark plugs, fill the tank, and start her up.

if you didn't fog the engine and drain the fuel, things get difficult.

best case:

do everything above plus, fuel system, every float bowl, every jet, every hose, every fuel passage, and every valve needs to be cleaned or replaced, oh and the same goes for the tank.

worst case:

your piston rings rusted to the cylinder wall, your valves have corroded, and your engine has seized.

(ok, the true worst case scenario is that the bike has become a instantaneous complete entropic zone, where it and everything it touches instantly degrades to the heat to the heat death of the universe, and we are all doomed)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The rust on the piston heads or stuck rings shouldn't be an issue. Sludge where gas should be will definitely be an issue if the bike wasnt prepped for a long hibernation. Id drain the tank and thoroughly go thru the petcock and carbs right off the bat. New tank, no. New battery, definitely.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Tires too most likely.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
What I have mentioned so far is only to get the bike started. I wouldn't even consider riding it until I thoroughly went through all components of the brakes, and tires.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Engines rusting seized is rare, but i have seen it, mostly with boat motors. where they had been left, with no wintering, in the elements, for years.

if you can spin the engine at all, hand, drill, 6th gear spinning the tire, the it engine isn't seized.

and your school is done? i still have two weeks.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Clean the carburetors, install a new battery, drain the tank(look inside for any signs of rust, if clean okay) and put in some fresh fuel and start it up.

As far as riding it, flush the brakes and make sure they work well, probably good to power lube the cables (easy for the throttle cables while the carbs are off). Remove the clutch lever and brake lever pivots and clean and lube them. I'd say it would be a good idea to have fresh tires, but it may not be absolutely necessary depending on if these were exposed to sun through a window or exhuast fumes, chemicals etc...and their previous age and tread depth etc....At the very least set the tire pressure appropriately.
ie--if they were new the year you put the bike in storage and you only had 1000 miles on them or something-the storage place was clean and fresh air with no sun shining right on the tires. Well then just set the tire pressures and go ride on them.

Of course you are talking about a 17 year old bike that I can't know the service history, use/abuse/neglect etc on...so this is best case scenario giving you the benefit of the doubt and expecting you have some common sense and mechanical aptitude.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It has always been meticulously and never ridden hard.
I am not that mechanically inclined and will be taking it to a local shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well after ANOTHER 3 years the bike has been towed and is now FINALLY at the shop.
The estimate for all the repairs, tank has to be scrubbed and treated, both brakes/master cylinder, chain, carbs rebuilt, ect, ect, is $2900!
The bike only has 16K miles and although I neglected it (financial issues, teachers in Florida get paid crap) I really love this bike.

Opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Grateful,
Dennis

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is a good way to remove some of the surface rust on the frame? Wire brush? Naval jelly?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts