Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am continuing this thread from the Fix it Section just for more visibility:http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/help-me-fix/502018-smoke-after-spark-plug-change.html

Anyhow, this is the situation:

Yesterday, i took my gas tank and air box off so i could swap out the old spark plugs for brand new ones. Once i put everything back together and started her up, there was smoke coming up from under the engine. I made sure to hose down the headers a few times to see if they were getting hot and all of them evaporated the water in about 2-3 seconds. The bike has a rough idle from a cold start and then seems fine when warmed up until i rev her and then the smoke comes out . No visible smoke comes out from the exhaust.

So I know for sure that all cylinders are firing. But online research of the problem lead to either a blown head gasket, water in the oil, coolant in the cylinder or too much oil. Prior to me swapping out the spark plugs, the bike ran fine with no smoke coming out from anywhere except the exhaust during a cold start.

Today, I took off the lower fairings and started the bike up. No problems idling but after the bike got warmed up i started seeing the smoke from the mid pipe where the Two Bros slip on connects in behind the right hand side rearset. The smoke comes off the pipe as if there is something inside burning off. There is enough smoke to be noticeable but hardly enough thickness to the smoke itself to determine color. It looks white but then fades away in a thin figure before i could see hints of any other color. I also noticed that the ignition cover has a crack where one of the screws is, but nothing has came out of there to my surprise (and dismay).

:wtf Any ideas?
_________

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spark plugs came pre-gapped at 0.030. I am thinking that there is an issue with how i put the ignition coils in, as i put the spark plugs in clockwise but the coils had to turn counterclockwise just for the spark plugs to screw in them. I am pretty sure I probably screwed that combination up.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The service manual does not say how to put the coils in as far as which way to screw in. Just to "install securely". I will remove and check the plugs to be sure and then open up the pipe to see what is there if anything. I also have an ignition cover to speed order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts