Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took my gas tank and air box off so i could swap out the old spark plugs for brand new ones. Once i put everything back together and started her up, there was smoke coming up from under the engine. I made sure to hose down the headers a few times to see if they were getting hot and all of them evaporated the water in about 2-3 seconds. The bike has a rough idle from a cold start and then seems fine when warmed up until i rev her and then the smoke comes out . No visible smoke comes out from the exhaust.

So I know for sure that all cylinders are firing. But online research of the problem lead to either a blown head gasket, water in the oil, coolant in the cylinder or too much oil. Prior to me swapping out the spark plugs, the bike ran fine with no smoke coming out from anywhere except the exhaust during a cold start.

In the morning i will break the bike down enough so that i can check the spark plugs, wire order, change out oil and maybe if needed flushing out my coolant.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Smoke in the exhaust coming from your engine, through the headers, and out the mufflers. that is the indication of things inside your engine.

Smoke from things heated by exhaust gasses, the outside of headers ect, is an indication of something on the headers, normally oil.

from your description, the second scenario seams a more likely explanation than the first, in this case.

take your fairings off, and see if you can find the source of the smoke. if it is from your headders, look over your engine for any oil leaks.

my first blind guess is a leaking oil drain plug.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I took off the lower fairings and started the bike up. No problems idling but after the bike got warmed up i started seeing the smoke from the mid pipe where the Two Bros slip on connects in behind the right hand side rearset. The smoke comes off the pipe as if there is something inside burning off. There is enough smoke to be noticeable but hardly enough thickness to the smoke itself to determine color. It looks white but then fades away in a thin figure before i could see hints of any other color. I also noticed that the ignition cover has a crack where one of the screws is, but nothing has came out of there to my surprise (and dismay).

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
from the descriptions, i don't think the smoke is a sign of anything wrong inside the engine.

I suggest you take all the fairings off and look for any oil trails, if you find any deal with them.

now buy some engine degreaser, as with most chemicals buy the one with the most warning labels. spay it over the exhaust, and engine.

let it sit for awhile (most cans have instructions on them), them wash the bike with a pressure washer. a couple thousand PSI will do wonders for cleaning things.

that should get rid of whatever is causing you exhaust to smoke.

now what are the other symptoms with your bike.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did just that minus the pressure washer but I did rinse the gunk off of the engine. I still never figured out what was inside the pipe if anything to cause the smoke. The oil drain and chain are in different positions that wouldn't touch the pipe even if they were leaking out dripping. The most that the zx6r related pages said was that if the smoke wasn't thick enough or shown signs off leaks anywhere than the smoke was harmless and just ride the bike out. The bike seemed fine when I reapplied the plugs and checked all of the connections. So far after a twenty minute idol and 15 minute ride the bike hasn't acted up or smoked in a way that I could notice without staring straight at the bottom pipe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts