Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Kawi Ninja 500R has approx. 2100 miles on it. I changed the oil at the 600mi recommended point, stored the bike over the winter, took it out in April, rode it around another 600mi (at that time it had 1900mi) and just changed it again. I was concerned because the oil smelled like it had gas in it. I was wondering if leaving the fuel switch ON over the winter may have been a problem. However, now that it was just changed at 1900mi (now at 2100mi) and it's smelling like gas again, I don't know what the heck is going on. Is it possible my carbs are bad or something? I can't see how gas can leak past the rings and into the oil seeing as though i followed engine break-in to the tee, never revved the hell out of it, and did all of the recommended checkups (except for carb sync) that the manual calls for? Is this smell normal?

Note: The oil level DOESN'T seem to be rising in the viewing glass on the side of the bike. Before changing it the 2nd time (600mi->1900mi) I was riding the bike around with the oil smelling the same way. Wouldn't the engine have been cooked by now if there really was gas mixed in with the oil?

·
Registered
501 Posts
yep. I think you have a vacuum operated petcock. they fail all the time. you most probably have Prime, On and RES on your petcock. if you leave it on prime, that allows gas to continuously flow to the carbs. in the ON and RES positions, your gas will turn off when the bike is off. on my kawasakis i got rid of the kawasaki vacuum petcock and intalled a Pingel gravity fed petcock and a drag specialties petcock on the other bike. these have Off, On, and Res positions, but you have to remember to turn the gas off when you shut the bike off.

another thing that can be wrong is that the floats are not set right and they are not shutting off the flow in the carbs. you might also smell gas in your airbox.

gas in oil is bad because it will dry out your gaskets in your engine. gas also will thin out your oil-not good.

bike should be under warrenty, I'd take it back and get it fixed for free.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. I guess I should get it back to the dealer, tell them the problem, and have them replace the petcock and change the oil for free. While we're on the topic, if there is indeed gas in the oil, could serious engine damage had already occured over a period of 2100 miles?

For reference, my petcock has ON, OFF, and RES positions. I leave it ON all the time. Could that still be a problem?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just looked up the parts diagrams for your bike. man, I can't believe they are still using the same petcocks they were using back in the 70s.

this is good because you can easily install a pingel petcock that for sure works if you feel inclined to.

I'm kinda surprised you didn't notice any gas on the floor of your garage that normally comes out the overflow tubes from the carbs.

and if you didn't store the bike correctly using stabil in the gas or draining the carbs over winter, you might have a stuck float. i dunno, should be under warrenty.

·
Registered
501 Posts
really, that is strange. but if that is the case, when parking the bike you need to put the petcock on OFF to shut the flow of gas off to the carbs, or you will experience what you are experiencing.

sounds like your floats are working pretty well and shutting off the flow of gas to the carbs like they should when the bowls are full. if they weren't, you would have a lot more gas in the oil and all over the ground.

I think all you need to do is change the oil and filter again. check your owners manual about the petcock, but since it has an OFF position, use that when the bike is not running.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, thanks for your help. I'm just hoping I haven't seriously damaged the engine yet. I'll definitely change the oil again and start turning it to OFF each time I stop the bike. The manual said just turn it to OFF whenever storing the bike for long periods of time. I figured 3-4 days wasn't long so I'd leave it ON. But, over the winter, I did leave it in the ON position. However, there was the recommended amount of STABIL in the gas and I'd ran it through the bike before parking it for the winter.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm still looking at the diagrams. I still think it is a vacuum pecock. I find it odd that it doesn't have a prime position to fill the carb bowls. and if it is a vacuum petcock, it shouldn't leak in the ON position either, and that i would take back to the dealer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
one way to tell if it is vacuum operated is there will be 2 hoses coming from it. 1 for gas, and the other is the vacuum line that will be attached on the back and up higher than the gas line-and normally that line ia smaller.

(unless you have a bike that requires a dual outlet petcock, which the 500 doesn't)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
since i'm in work i'll have to wait till tonight to take a look at it. i know for a fact that the petcock reads OFF, ON, and RES. I thought I remember others telling me it was a vaccum petcock as well. If, at 2100mi, its already failed then yes I need a new one. I will change the oil and filter yet again ($40) and start turning it OFF every time I park the bike. Is my engine already shot though?

-- Chris

·
Registered
501 Posts
your engine is fine. I've had my share of petcock problems and have walked out to puddles of leaking gas under the bike. You just don't want to leave the gas in the oil. I wouldn't ride the bike until you change the oil and filter though. You can possibly to lots of damage with gas thinning out the oil, but i wouldn't worry about it if I were you. if the bike rides fine, then it is, until it breaks.

and if it is a vacuum petcock that is leaking in the ON position, the dealer should fix it and do the oil change and filter for you for free. (just when you explain it to them leave out the part about not turning it OFF over winter)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose if this problem was occuring since the 600mi oil change and the oil level didn't appear to be rising, there may have been only a bit of gas in the oil. Nevertheless, I'll get this fixed up and keep riding it and hope for the best. Thanks so much for your help! :)

-- Chris

·
Registered
501 Posts
you spend $40 for an oil change on a 500? something's not right. it should cost you maybe $15-20 at the most.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The oil was $7/qt (4 qts he sold me) and the filter was $7 too I think. It was a semi-synth blend API SG JASO MA 10W-40. What the hell does JASO MA mean anyway?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, and one last thing...I never noticed a single drop of gas on the ground, nor oil. Hmm... ?

·
Registered
501 Posts
castrol gtx 10-40 dino oil $1.50 quart on sale at Pep boys. $5 oil filter at NAPA.

there is no need to spend that much money on your bike. whoever is selling that to you is ripping you off.

that's good about the oil. and no gas means that your petcock isn't really leaking all that much and things are working like they should. but leaky petcock will leak gas through the cabs into the combustion chanber and the gas leaks down past the rings, that is how gas gets in the oil.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LifeLiberty, again thanks for your help in this matter. I'll go try and find the oil you speak of and stop getting ripped off. I knew those bastards were crazy when they said it was $7/qt. Shoulda went somewhere else...

Let's hope the oil/filter/petcock fixes the problems permanently and the damn thing doesn't seize up a few hundred miles from now...

-- Chris

·
Registered
501 Posts
as long as you are following what your manual says to use, kawasaki will cover anything you need to have warrentied. $7/quart is too much. even when I was using synthetic in my bikes it was $20 gallon Mobil 1 15-50.

i just wouldn't spend that much on a bike you will probably sell in a year or 2. i know how your first bike is your baby and all, but treat it as a starter bike and it will get you where you want to go. you don't have to treat it like a ferrari. learn how everything works so you have an understanding when you move on to a b***** bike. you should also know how everything works so you can start wrenching on it yourself, baby steps at first, or at least you know what your dealer is going to do to it when you bring it in for work.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts