Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you care about them? Do you have one?

I am talking about the electrical meter on your house.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
They cause tons of health issues with some people, and they are making them virtually mandatory, else you pay big bucks to get a regular meter

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
We don't have one right now, but it's a rented house, so it isn't up to us.

The concept makes really good sense, and I think they are a good step forward. How they actually get implemented in real life, of course, may involve coercion and stupidity and so on, but that's not any inherent fault of the technology.

PhilB

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Health issues?

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
it's almost as if that video was scripted to speak directly to idiots. get your foil hats on, the public utilities are going to know that much like every one else, you use more power between 6 and 10pm then you do at 3am... I wonder if that woman was brought up on charges for brandishing a weapon to the line man?

and i would love if they would actually offer a lower rate for off peak time, throw my laundry in before going to bed, etc and save a few bucks.

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
i work for one of the power companies specifically mentioned in that vid. yup, we install "smart" meters. started with a small island community for testing. now, we're rolling them out all over.

all of the things mentioned in the report are theoretically possible, but power companies just don't have the kind of man-power to review and exploit all that data.

eventually, these meters will change the way you use your electric. my theory about it is this; one day the actual electric rates will be written so that the time of day that you use them will affect the cost. now, power companies already do this to an extent, but the smart meters will allow them to narrow it down perfectly. there will be a time where it would benefit you to do your laundry in the middle of the night. same with dishwashers and other things that don't necessarily have to be done at any particular time as long as you have a timer for it.

as for interrupting on high-demand days? power companies already do that. either by interruptible a/c or water heating, it's done all over for people who opt for it. if nobody opts for it, it would still happen because there comes a time when the cost of buying electric on the open market for power companies becomes too high and power plants are already running at capacity.

sharing info with law-enforcement? not voluntarily, they won't. be assured, however, that if you're running an illegal grow operation and are already suspected by law-enforcement, they can get a warrant to see your electric usage. this, too, already happened before smart meters. the new technology will just make it that much easier.

how about helping with electrical outages? i have seen first-hand how it can help reduce outage duration and even pin-point where the actual problem is. all based on data compiled from entire neighborhoods of smart meters. even finding problems that veteran circuit evaluators cannot possibly spot on their own (like corroded transformer taps).

lastly, the meters spew out about as much "radiation" as a smart phone. bottom line; the people who say they are affected by the radio waves emitted by smart meters are fucking crazy. and, i mean that in a purely medical way. they're the kinds of people who already run around with tin-foil on their heads so aliens don't scramble their brains or think that the FBI is controlling their thoughts thru their television sets.

it's sorta like feeling physical pain from, say, an x-ray. sure, x-rays can be very dangerous and have actually led to medical issues and even death before their dangers were understood. the people who actually "plug" and service the smart meters would probably be most at-risk for this type of ailment, however.

s3aturnr

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
i work for one of the power companies specifically mentioned in that vid. yup, we install "smart" meters. started with a small island community for testing. now, we're rolling them out all over.

all of the things mentioned in the report are theoretically possible, but power companies just don't have the kind of man-power to review and exploit all that data.

eventually, these meters will change the way you use your electric. my theory about it is this; one day the actual electric rates will be written so that the time of day that you use them will affect the cost. now, power companies already do this to an extent, but the smart meters will allow them to narrow it down perfectly. there will be a time where it would benefit you to do your laundry in the middle of the night. same with dishwashers and other things that don't necessarily have to be done at any particular time as long as you have a timer for it.

as for interrupting on high-demand days? power companies already do that. either by interruptible a/c or water heating, it's done all over for people who opt for it. if nobody opts for it, it would still happen because there comes a time when the cost of buying electric on the open market for power companies becomes too high and power plants are already running at capacity.

sharing info with law-enforcement? not voluntarily, they won't. be assured, however, that if you're running an illegal grow operation and are already suspected by law-enforcement, they can get a warrant to see your electric usage. this, too, already happened before smart meters. the new technology will just make it that much easier.

how about helping with electrical outages? i have seen first-hand how it can help reduce outage duration and even pin-point where the actual problem is. all based on data compiled from entire neighborhoods of smart meters. even finding problems that veteran circuit evaluators cannot possibly spot on their own (like corroded transformer taps).

lastly, the meters spew out about as much "radiation" as a smart phone. bottom line; the people who say they are affected by the radio waves emitted by smart meters are fucking crazy. and, i mean that in a purely medical way. they're the kinds of people who already run around with tin-foil on their heads so aliens don't scramble their brains or think that the FBI is controlling their thoughts thru their television sets.

it's sorta like feeling physical pain from, say, an x-ray. sure, x-rays can be very dangerous and have actually led to medical issues and even death before their dangers were understood. the people who actually "plug" and service the smart meters would probably be most at-risk for this type of ailment, however.

s3aturnr
Given what this post contains, I'm gonna go ahead and say "fuck no" to them.
:D

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
If the data becomes available, they will hire people to analyze it. Count on it.

These meters have nothing to do with managing/predicting usage but everything to do with maximum extraction of your money.

Ever hear of the NSA? Of course this information will be shared, or subpoenaed.

I don't trust this government anymore with information or what they will allow certain groups to do to the general public with that information.

I have an idea to help with demand. Quit shutting down coal fired electric generators. Or maybe how about building a couple of nuclear powered generators?

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
:laugh This is funny :hahano

I work for a power company as well and there is no way the meters can differentiate which appliance whether the dishwasher or tv is using power. All it "sees" is power being used. :facepalm
The meter would be able to tell how many more amps are being drawn which would lead to knowing what type of appliance might have been turned on. A toaster draws less current than your microwave. It's not that hard to figure out.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
The meter would be able to tell how many more amps are being drawn which would lead to knowing what type of appliance might have been turned on. A toaster draws less current than your microwave. It's not that hard to figure out.
so what? what't to learn? it's 5:30 and there was just a 4.15 amp bump to the 31.72 amps already being consumed by lights, heat, fridge, TV, cable boxes, computer, water heater, plug in air freshener, cell phone charger, cable modem, wireless router, and alarm clock. did i just plug in the crock pot or print a plastic single shot handgun on my 3d printer?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Major appliances in the house all consume so close on peak demand it wouldn't be possible for the meter to discern what unit is running and when. Not to mention different manufacturer's and different models withing a product line will have variations on ratings. Toasters actually draw more than microwaves (normal microwaves). OTR units have a higher capacity than most counter top units, plus have the range light and fan as well requiring the 20A circuit. A toaster is typically about 1500W to a general use microwave only being about 1000, even less in some cases.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
We've had smart meters for over a year. The detailed information available to consumers has already proven useful to pinpoint which days electrical usage spiked and why (high temp and AC usage, what a surprise). We've also had time of use rates for some time. Run all the electrical stuff you can at night and save some $$. The next test I intend to run is to turn off the pool filter for a couple of days and see what that costs to run. As an added bonus, we no longer need to worry about the meter reader coming into the yard (meters are behind the fence/walls in the back yard).

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
If the data becomes available, they will hire people to analyze it. Count on it.
i wish, i would sit around all day and analyze the data if they'd let me. they already want us to do twice the work for half the cost. at this point, i'd be surprised if they can look at usage any deeper than circuit trends.

These meters have nothing to do with managing/predicting usage but everything to do with maximum extraction of your money.
well, sorta. it will do both. it will show where people can adjust their usage for the most economy. for people who don't "adjust" their bills will eventually be much higher

Ever hear of the NSA? Of course this information will be shared, or subpoenaed.
yes, i actually used to work for them. lived on base at ft. meade for 3 years. NSA has much b***** fish to fry

I don't trust this government anymore with information or what they will allow certain groups to do to the general public with that information.
nobody should trust the government. and, there is a HUGE potential for misuse. oversight will be necessary to ensure citizens don't have their rights trampled.

I have an idea to help with demand. Quit shutting down coal fired electric generators. Or maybe how about building a couple of nuclear powered generators?
the problem there is that they are simply getting old. plus, with new codes on emissions, most need a shit-ton of money just to get them compliant. nuclear power is a great answer for this, but they literally take decades to get permitting and actually build one. plus, there's a huge contingent of people who are convinced that nuclear powerplants could never be made safe and certainly nobody really wants one in their back yard. all the wind, hydro and solar power put together can only run about 10% of our energy needs; we simply use too much for it to be a viable solution even with anticipated technology advancements.

like it or not; smart meters are here to stay...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

s3aturnr
It was already like that when I lived in Phoenix, they had peak and off peak hours. Off peak was cheaper, (usually at night) to encourage people to do laundry and run dishwashers at night. This also helped take load off the grid during hot days when everyone has AC on full blast.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts