Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding with a backpack for as long as I've needed to transport my laptop back and forth to work (so, a long time now). I'm getting tired of the weight/tug of a backpack while riding. I'm finally thinking about getting a tank bag.

Looking at these so far:
Cortech Super 2.0 (either 18L or 12L)
Rapid Transit Recon 19
Motocentic Moto 19

Basically looking for something that isn't gargantuan, but can still fit a standard size 14-15" screened laptop. Current lappy dimensions are: ~1.5 in x 13.21 in x 9.3 in. I'm pretty sure none of the bags i'm looking at are able to fit a laptop, but hoping someone here has one and can confirm or deny, or knows of another bag that can suit my needs.

Also, the ability to turn tank bag into a backpack would be nice, but not a total requirement. Being able to carry it around afterward could have some benefit.

Not looking for saddlebags. Tail bag may be considered if it's not terrible, but if I'm going to put a bag on the bike, I might as well be able to get into it while riding/sitting on the bike so a tail bag is less desirable.

Edit: Something Made in the USA (or at least NOT made in china) is a definite plus.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I know this probably wont help but I dont know if I've ever seen a tank bag that could fit a laptop, someone will probably prove me wrong though. Either way good luck.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one looks pretty dope. It should definitely fit your laptop, but may be too big for your tastes. Maybe.

Alpinestars Tech Aero Tank Bag - RevZilla
Thanks for the suggestion. I saw someone post pictures of them fitting their full-size riding boots in it (expanded, of course) so that should be enough room to fit a laptop. $189 is a little pricey (hey, it's Alpinestars, so it's got to be pricey!) but other than the Icon Urban tank bag, I haven't seen anything else that specifically says it'll fit a laptop. And I'm done buying Icon stuff.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I just bought what is supposed to be tail bag...I don't see why it can't be used for the tank at all, and might even use it as such since my bike is naked and the tail is pretty thin. There's room for about 1 and a half helmets!

I think its this one...can't remember and I feel lazy Nelson Rigg CL-1040 Jumbo Tail Bag :: MotorcycleGear.com

anyways, just an idea for anyone else who might be interested in the future. I love this vendor, even though they're from Texas...I've bought from them for years and they've been very good and super-quick in shipping, the phone, ect.

·
Registered
383 Posts
May I make a suggestion...

I don't know what bike you have, I am a consultant and ride all over SoCal from camarillo to San Diego. I have to car ray a laptop as well. Sometimes two tanks of gas in a single day.

What I did was purchase a spare rear seat for my bike off eBay, then I purchased a hard rear top case, and mounted the mounting plate to the spare rear seat.

Total cost was less than $80 and now I have a tail trunk that didn't make a single modification to my bike, I can put my helmet into the trunk when I am at the client, I can go into a store and leave items locked in the trunk. And when I don't want the trunk, I can just remove the rear seat and replace it with the original seat.

It is a great, low cost, setup...

Took me about 15 minutes to mount the plate and I was done. I'll post pics if you are interested.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
May I make a suggestion...

I don't know what bike you have, I am a consultant and ride all over SoCal from camarillo to San Diego. I have to car ray a laptop as well. Sometimes two tanks of gas in a single day.

What I did was purchase a spare rear seat for my bike off eBay, then I purchased a hard rear top case, and mounted the mounting plate to the spare rear seat.

Total cost was less than $80 and now I have a tail trunk that didn't make a single modification to my bike, I can put my helmet into the trunk when I am at the client, I can go into a store and leave items locked in the trunk. And when I don't want the trunk, I can just remove the rear seat and replace it with the original seat.

It is a great, low cost, setup...

Took me about 15 minutes to mount the plate and I was done. I'll post pics if you are interested.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Thats pretty good. If I planned to keep my bike id do the same.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Personally I'd get a tail bag. I can't stand large tank bags. My joe rocket Manta XL is about the perfect size. And that won't come close to fitting a laptop.

Ideally, I would personally get a hard tail case with the pick apart foam in it to isolate vibrations.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thats pretty good. If I planned to keep my bike id do the same.

Doesn't matter. I bought a CHEAP spare rear set (<$20) and bolted the mounting plate directly to the seat. All I have to do is remove the plate from the rear seat, and mount the plate to the next bike.

I never messed up the original rear seat, so the bike is still stock...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts