Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The video won't work for me right now, but are you talking about the clamp that goes on the hose coming from the bottom of the reservoir? If that's the case then yes, that's pretty important.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The video won't work for me right now, but are you talking about the clamp that goes on the hose coming from the bottom of the reservoir? If that's the case then yes, that's pretty important.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
No, inside the reservoir. This is the only halfway decent picture i can find.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_3Kh2k794KQ/UpmyDLGLvsI/AAAAAAAABFw/hiQNDFMzXnw/s1600/20131130_145353.jpg
The metal piece that fits in the circle in the bottom of the reservoir. The video shows it better and is the best example i can find.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Looks like it's some sort of restriction / orifice. I would put it back in, some smart guy decided it was needed. why would you remove it in the first place?

It may be a baffle to keep fluid above the piston on rough roads or when the bike is leaning over. without you may pull in a little air at a very bad time.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
It's part 13272 on the diagram:

Text White Line art Diagram Auto part

I looked into the service manual and it is there, but it doesn't say what it does...

Brake fluid is ridiculously cheap, just open the master cylinder, take most fluid out with a syringe, replace the cap and refill. Knowing bean counters, if it is there, it is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, i will pop the res open and put it back. This was my first time bleeding my brakes and after i soaked all the fluid up in the res, i noticed it sitting in the corner. Wasnt sure if it was always off (Or even supposed to be there), or if i accidentally dislodged it. So i just left it out for the time being. Brakes felt fine after even without the clip. Will replace, but i feel like its just to stop brake fluid from squirting all over the place. When i moved the lever without much fluid inside, it would squirt a small trail of brake fluid pretty far from the hole the clip is covering.

Just to avoid any confusion, the res never ran dry when i moved the lever, i moved it maybe 2mm before fluid squirted out. Fluid was clean, clear, and 99.9% free of bubbles when i finished bleeding.

Thanks for the help!

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
but i feel like its just to stop brake fluid from squirting all over the place. When i moved the lever without much fluid inside, it would squirt a small trail of brake fluid pretty far from the hole the clip is covering.
that's actually a very good theory, i didn't think of that. maybe it is. a penny per lever to save the eye sight of some poor mechanic... makes sense.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
miteyVac is your friend, and cheap too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, i will pop the res open and put it back. This was my first time bleeding my brakes and after i soaked all the fluid up in the res, i noticed it sitting in the corner. Wasnt sure if it was always off (Or even supposed to be there), or if i accidentally dislodged it. So i just left it out for the time being. Brakes felt fine after even without the clip. Will replace, but i feel like its just to stop brake fluid from squirting all over the place. When i moved the lever without much fluid inside, it would squirt a small trail of brake fluid pretty far from the hole the clip is covering.

Just to avoid any confusion, the res never ran dry when i moved the lever, i moved it maybe 2mm before fluid squirted out. Fluid was clean, clear, and 99.9% free of bubbles when i finished bleeding.

Thanks for the help!
Yo you’re exactly right it keeps from squirting fluid that’s it.mine’s out not going back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts