Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well went on one of my first small group rides tonight. Myself on a 03' ZX6R and the two other guys on Kawasaki 500R's. Both were not familiar with the roads that i led them on. We had been riding for about an hour and everything was going smoothly. I would let them know what kind of corners we were getting into at stop signs and some of the little tricks of the corners (sand or gravel likely, or dips in road, hidden drives) everything was going very well.

Well what ended the ride was a nice downhill right hand to a quick left hand turn. The area is surrounded in woods with about 4 foot gravel sides. I led up the hill and and down through the corners, made it through and looked back to see how they were coming out. Well didnt see them make it through. I turned around and made my way back up to the hill and sure enough just before the final turn slide marks off the road and a dirty 500r sitting on the side of the road almost in the woods. Rider was wearing jacket and helmet with jeans and only suffered minor scratches and will probably have a few bruises. Bike faired much better with only minor scratches to lower left fairing. I felt bad about his misfortune because this was my first ride with these two and took them on a road that maybe i shouldnt have taken as hard as i did.

·
Registered
426 Posts
he lost it on a downhill right? Yeah those can give you a very awkward feeling when you take them. First time I took a very sharp downhill curve I went into the other lane. I don't don't ride through turns like that as texas is pretty flat...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he lost it coming out of the right hand before he could make the left hand, his bike ended up off the road in the middle of the left hand.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Slappy77 said:
he lost it coming out of the right hand before he could make the left hand, his bike ended up off the road in the middle of the left hand.
That sucks man, glad everyones alright.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ride had been going great, he rode to his ability i just think the downhill left hand turn ate him up.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Inexperienced riders in the middle or up front. They're always tempted to try to keep up if they are in the back.

Bump! I haven't done a group ride yet, but this is what ive been told.

I look at it two ways, not sure which is better:

Beginner in front, feels pressured to set a faster pace(dumb, but some will do this) so he doesn't hold up the rest

Beginner in back, feels pressured to keep up with the rest, might push to hard

So yeah, obviously put the beginer in front, and remind him that he needs to take his time, pace himself, and not worry about slowing up the pack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Qwikk said:
Slappy where u from and what area where u riding?

West Michigan, Muskegon area. We were riding on the lakeshore (Lake Michigan) Scenic Drive just north of Muskegon. There's a nice hill with an old 18th century military observation post called the Block House. Thats where the guy bit it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Inexperienced riders in the middle or up front. They're always tempted to try to keep up if they are in the back.
Right. Middle is best, since then they don't have to try to keep up, and don't have to worry about trying to set a pace higher than they can reasonably keep.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yea, playing keep up is the worst. I hate it in the back, it's easy to come in too fast, expecially on a road you don't know. IMO you should stay out of group rides till you get some experience on some solid flat ground.

Yea that whole hill thing always feels weird, I don't like going up hill on a turn, down is fine for me, just the up hill stuff.

A lot of Michigan riders in here :cheers

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Turning on hills takes some practice. It's important to do whatever is needed to make sure no one rides above their head. The thread title says "night". Was it dark? If so, that was likely a significant contributor to the off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Almighty Jason said:
I don't know if he ment that literally, more like "tonight" as in after dinner I assumed anyway.

Yeah it wasnt dark but later in the evening. Road and weather conditions were perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts