Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock Bridgestone BT020 tires on my FZ6. I have noticed a fair number of small cuts in the tread of the tires - 20 in rear, 10 in front. The cuts are about 1/4" wide and probably about 1/8" to 1/4" deep (still within the raised tread material).

I am not worried about these cuts; I am just amazed at how prolific they are. My guess is they are originating from gravel that I deliberately ride on (I like to practise slow speed maneuvers on gravel as a safety exercise).

My questions are:

1) How common are such superficial cuts with you guys?

2) Are other brands of tires less prone to cutting (ie: touring tires, but then they would be less sticky: yes/no)?

3) Aside from the obvious precautions, should riding on gravel roads be absolutely avoided?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I hate gravel. Hate it. Do you have any hints for me? (not to hijack the thread, I want the answer to that too!)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
karst said:
I hate gravel. Hate it. Do you have any hints for me? (not to hijack the thread, I want the answer to that too!)
Ride for a while in mud. Gravel seems easy afterwards. :lol

·
Registered
828 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Ride for a while in mud. Gravel seems easy afterwards. :lol
Then try snow. Mud seems easier afterwards.
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=271549
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=264599

I've got the stock Dunlops for another two days then the Metz Z6's go on. I have noticed lately a few tears in the tread, most likely from minor gravel patches I've routinely hit lately. I think if you really want to spend time on gravel another tire choice is in order...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yah, that's what my friends say- "Come out and crash dirt bikes with us!" Oh, that sounds fun.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kneedragger said:
Then try snow. Mud seems easier afterwards.
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=271549
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=264599

I've got the stock Dunlops for another two days then the Metz Z6's go on. I have noticed lately a few tears in the tread, most likely from minor gravel patches I've routinely hit lately. I think if you really want to spend time on gravel another tire choice is in order...
Kneedragger,

Read your thread. I tried snow this year in January when we had two weeks of snow. It was fun at first, as I rode thru virgin (sticky) snow. Soon as I hit the car tire ruts the wheels slid every which way - scary as hell. It took me 5 minutes to ride it up-slope (5% grade) 10 feet into my garage. I quit at that point, and finished my adventures on a bicycle. (Donuts, etc are alot safer on ice and snow with a bicycle.)

Anyway, I have lots of fun practising on gravel. It is astonishing how little brake must be applied to avoid skidding on gravel. I haven't measured my braking distance, but I would guess about 20x longer compared to asphalt. But, all that fun has led to alot of little cuts on my treads. I don't want to give up the fun/practise - so perhaps at the end of the summer I will buy some new tires.

:popcorn

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Once you go black ice you never go back! I've shopped everywhere and nobody makes snow tires for our bikes. I could double my riding season with a good set of snows!! :lol
Chains baby!

Or get some studs. lol

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
They make tires especially for dirt bikes-- It handles better on gravel mud and snow, even!
And they make studded tires for ice, too.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Sure, chains, the solution to everything...according to my wife, and now you!

(I'm kind of partial to silk scarves or leather straps.) :eek:nfloor
:needpics

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I (no surprise) do not have nicks in my tires. Several cager friends of mine have given themselves flats by driving in fresh gravel this season. Seems like you could achieve the same fine results, if you try hard enough.

Hmm. So then you can try fixing a flat too.

·
Registered
828 Posts
skeleton said:
It was fun at first, as I rode thru virgin (sticky) snow
You took a b***** chance than I could! I never intentionally rode through snow. I knew that would get me in trouble fast. My problem was being impatient waiting for local roads to clear.

I'd love to try mud/gravel on a dirt bike. Looks like a lot of fun and a great way to develop sliding skilz. When the right opportunity to try dirt comes up I will definitely jump on it. Or maybe get a dual sport so I can put on studs for winter riding. But for now my budget limits me to one bike... :cry

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
Trust me, you're better off without pics!

Those pics would change this thread from useless to vomitous!
Nah dude...I'm talking about pics of your wife. I sure hope you aren't!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Kneedragger said:
You took a b***** chance than I could! I never intentionally rode through snow. I knew that would get me in trouble fast. My problem was being impatient waiting for local roads to clear.

I'd love to try mud/gravel on a dirt bike. Looks like a lot of fun and a great way to develop sliding skilz. When the right opportunity to try dirt comes up I will definitely jump on it. Or maybe get a dual sport so I can put on studs for winter riding. But for now my budget limits me to one bike... :cry
From time to time I really wish I had a dirt bike again. Unfortunately, I can't justfiy an ATv AND a bike since I can only ride one at a time.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Tried to talk the wife into an ATV but decided on the Fizzer. Just put some knobby's on the front and back for winter driving you should be ok!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts