Sport Bikes banner

Slippery Tire

596 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Phly6 
#1 ·
Okay, so i dont really want to get into how it happened.. but long story short, i got some WD40 on my tires. I tried everything to get it off, washing, burnout, heating up the tires.. So what im asking is: any idea what takes WD40 off?
( i know im prob gonna get flamed for this.. )

#3 ·
WD40 has a tendency to penetrate.... You might be shit outta luck, only a real good scrubbing up, and riding will tell.... Just for the love of god ride careful, take slow corners, and avoid rain at all costs!

#6 ·
"any idea what takes WD40 off?"

A fat smokey burnout seems to be in order here.

I know you said you tried it, but you need to wear it down a little more. :devil

#8 ·
Castrol Purple Stuff will do the trick. Spray it on, let it soak for a moment, then with a wet scrub brush and a wash bucket scrub the tires. When you're done they will look like new and there should be no more lube on the tires. That stuff breaks down anythink with an oil base, just make sure you rinse very good. I normally rinse while rubbing down the tire with my hands just to make sure all the soap film is off.

Beware, Purple Stuff can make a mess of your hands. Be sure to wash them well and use a good lotion afterwards. It will eat the oil right out of your skin if you're not careful.

....and no, it will not hurt the tires. I've been using the stuff for years as well as most people I know.

#9 ·
Hey thanks a lot custom, ill give it a try.. I did a nice burnout, but it only cleaned up the middle of the tire. I like to hit the turns so i need the whole thing to be clean.. Anyway, thanks everybody.

#11 ·
What about sanding the tires a little bit? Depending on how deep the WD40 got into it.

#13 ·
Yeah, thats what my friend said. Its prob just me being parinoid. But degreaser might make me feel a little better even if it doesnt do anything. And if all else fails I can always light it on fire.. haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.