Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm curious after hearing about slipon exhaust systems. I've read a bit on them, mostly around here, but I never really bothered asking.

Anyway, my questions are these: first, what will a slipon do? Is it entirely/almost entirely an aesthetic improvement (IE, sound/look of the pipe), or would a slipon also result in a non-negligable gain in horsepower (>~5, I would think?), making the use of such not suitable for a newbie?

Also, does using a slipon require modifications to the bike (in my case, the carbs I would think is what would need to be modified).

Finally, are slipons universal? I've heard statements to either side, but after all is said and done, I've never seen an EX500 with a Yoshimura exhaust.

·
Registered
533 Posts
usually with a slipon you don't have to rejet the carbs, but occasionally you do

they are not universal, you probably havent seen a yosh on an ex500 because they most likely dont make one for it

they usually add 3-5hp mostly in the topend, mainly for looks and sound, a small weight reduction aswell.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Yeah, really what a slip on is, is a really expensive way to make your bike sound cooler. I know, not much bang for the buck.
Oh well, it's to look cool and sound cool. That's apparently worth between $250-500 since that's what people pay for the things. I paid $270.
No, they don't really do much for performance, their strength lies in cool points gained. Makes a bike that looks racy sound racy. It's no different than putting strait pipes on an HD. The coolness factor is the compelling reason to buy one.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Where was it that I read that a full exhaust doesn't even do that much for a bike 600 or smaller? Besides weight reduction that is. Can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a slip on for my bike and enjoy the hell out of it. For the better sound, looks, throttle response it was worth my money. I have a Hindle.

I will never push my bike hard eought to ever need a full system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts