Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some money burning a hole in my savings account and am thinking about using some of it to get a slip on for my bike. I am considering a Jardine but not completely set on brand yet.

My question is does anyone know the legality of aftermarket pipes? I have heard of people in my area getting fix it tickets for them recently and am wondering if I should spend my money on something else instead. Anybody on this board ever gotten a ticket for a slip on? I would also prefer to not see this thread turn into an FTP or pro police flamefest. thanks!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think that's a bunch of shit.. I don't even think I've seen a bike around here without an aftermarket exhaust.. I wouldn't worry about it

·
Yes I'm a FIB
2,139 Posts
+1 I haven't even heard of anyone getting a ticket or otherwise for having an aftermarket pipe on their bike.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
There are certain noise restriction, most slip-ons won't pass that. I believe it's 80 or something decibels, I've never seen a slipon under 100 db....

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Keep your stock exhaust. If you get a "fix it" ticket, then "fix" it and then un-"fix" it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Federal DOT has noise standards. Correct me if I am wrong, but the standard is 80 or 87db. Meaning, anywhere in the US one may be cited for "Modified Exhaust" or through a like section providing one is written and enforced.

In Cali, it is enforced under "Modified Exhaust" and is a fix-it-ticket. If the citation involves other violated sections it may also have a fixed fine amount attached in addition to the fix-it of the "Modified Exhaust".

Hope this helps!

P.S. When involved in a traffic stop, your activity prior to and the way you interact with the Officer may help or impede your overall outcome.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Here in Illinois they are illegal, because they are considered part of "any modification to the exhaust system with the intent to make it louder". Will they give you a ticket for it? Most likely not, I've only heard of warnings being issued for bikes, trucks with straight pipes are a different story. I've heard a few HD's that I would give a ticket to in a heartbeat if I were a cop just b/c they have an obnoxiously loud exhaust and rev the piss out of it all the time. Then again, I also heard an older ninja that I would do the same with. Kinda funny considering I like loud pipes, but enough is enough.

Basically, if you don't go through town at 10K rpms you probably won't have a problem. If I hear people going through town at 10 grand, I will be their problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Josh D said:
Basically, if you don't go through town at 10K rpms you probably won't have a problem. If I hear people going through town at 10 grand, I will be their problem.
He's right. I'm a cop and its not the pipes that couse you problems, its what you do with them :cheers

As for fixing it and unfixing it, go for it. It also helps to keep your stock can in the garage for when you sell the bike. the new owner might just want it for something.

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
yea most states are "any modification louder than the stock setup" is illegal. I got a verbal from a state trooper once, the messed up part is that he rides a zx-6r. He pulled me over for having my plate on my swing arm. I think he just wanted to check out the bike and who was riding it in 32 degree weather. the ironic part being that two hardleys came by with straight pipes and he didn't even look up...like he said to me though most cops will not write it unless you are a total dick to them, or if they just want something to pull you over for to check you out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lots of people getting tickets here in Colorado Springs Co. for loud pipes. They just started this BS recently. There has been a big issue with it among bikers, because there is no sound metering involved. If the cop thinks its too loud, you get a ticket. Mostly V twin crusiers getting ticketed though...

·
Registered
270 Posts
fredcbr1100 said:
There has been a big issue with it among bikers, because there is no sound metering involved. If the cop thinks its too loud, you get a ticket.
I think with standards like that you should be able to get off if you take it to court. Unless they bust out the decibleometer (yes i made that up), how can they prove anything. Can a laymans hear hear and calculate the difference between 80db and 85? I doubt it.

That being said, dont be a dick and ride through town at 2am at 12k rpms...you deserve a ticket in that case.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
redcbrla said:
I have some money burning a hole in my savings account and am thinking about using some of it to get a slip on for my bike. I am considering a Jardine but not completely set on brand yet.

My question is does anyone know the legality of aftermarket pipes? I have heard of people in my area getting fix it tickets for them recently and am wondering if I should spend my money on something else instead. Anybody on this board ever gotten a ticket for a slip on? I would also prefer to not see this thread turn into an FTP or pro police flamefest. thanks!
I don't think it is a noise issue, as much as an emissions issue in Kali... of course you could move to a State where it isn't an issue...

·
old member
13,079 Posts
bumblebee said:
I don't think it is a noise issue, as much as an emissions issue in Kali... of course you could move to a State where it isn't an issue...
Only the newer bikes with catalytic converters in the pipes would be an emissions issue in CA. Although technically illegal to modify any exhaust due to emissions compliance, I have never heard of anyone getting cited for that. Plus, there is no bike emissions testing in CA (yet). The issue is noise. As was said many times above, you likely won't get a fix-it ticket for the pipe unless it's obnoxiously loud or you get pulled over for something else and are a dick to the LEO.

Jardines do tend to be obnoxiously loud, BTW. You might want to consider something else. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jim schmidt said:
Noise standards are a state issue. The DOT standards apply to manufacturers.

Here's information on CA enforcement. The CA standard is 95db but read the methodology for enforcement: http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8133
thanks for the link! It sounds like the enforcement of this leaves a lot open for the officer's judgement. The people getting tickets have been getting them at the gas station near a popular ride. And from what I have heard it is mostly one cop handing out these type of tickets. This data is helpful though.

thanks for everyone else's feedback. I agree that I will probably just get the pipe and if I get a fix it ticket will fix and un fix as necessary.

I remember some time ago I saw a link to an article by the british mag BIKE that did comparisons on decibels and performance of many aftermarket motorcycles. Anybody happen to have this link?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yup that is what I did. Kept my stocker just in case I get that type of tix. Also, 95% of the aftermarket exhaust (full or bolton/slip on) that I have seen have the disclaimer "Not legal for street use. Micron even has one on its pipe on the underside of its exhaust tip.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts