Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my muffler because of some damage. I don't want to re-jet if I don't have to. A new sound would be cool too. I have a K&N air filter installed already. So, what's a good one. I don't need it really loud.
Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you have a K&N filter in already, I would have re-jetted, putting on the slip on makes the casefor re-jetting even stronger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Really? OOps! Well, it's been 6 years now with it in. Anyway, I had read that rejetting reduces reliability. I don't care about mileage, but I'm worried about trouble starting in cold temps, etc. Is this BS? If reliability is NOT and issue, I might as well get the whole pipe/jet kit since I'm tearing it down for some bodywork/painting (stage 1, I assume is most street-useable) and really hurt myself. :lol

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
Bahh... Reliability issues with rejetting. Not likely. Especially with a stage 1 setup like you will need.

But I would rejet it also. That K&N is making for a leaner condition, and like stated earlier, the slip on will make for just a little more lean-ness. If it were just a slip on and stock air filter, then you would probably be just fine, but you will have better performance with rejetting the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. So, I'm definitely gonna rejet. And if I'm doin' that, I might as well just get the full exhaust (header and all). I know they sell jet kits with header/pipes as a matched/tuned set (or whatever you call it).

Soooo.....What's a good setup for the FZR. The FizZer's been around a while, I would assume somebody would be able to reccomend a good one.

BTW, Nice FZR there VTEC_Eater.

·
1,752 Posts
Well, companies dont say "this works best with this." However, there are a lot of people out there with modified FZRs out there, like me, who have experience on what setups work well.

If you want to get a full system, which I recommend over just a crap slip on, then I would get the Vance and Hines SS2R. I have it on my bike and I really like the sound and the power it offers. And then get a drop in filter if you want, or you can go with pod filters and get a littel more power. With the pods you have to deal with all the tuning issues and sensitivity to temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, and everything else that comes with it.

First off you should jump on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2486204934&category=34284&sspagename=WDVW

Even at the buy it now price its a steal.

Second, you need to come on over to www.fzrarchives.com/fzr/forum

From there you can get an idea of what can be done to these bikes to make them much better than how they rolled off production line.

Hope I was of some help.

And jump on that exhaust.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I recommend the Cobra F1 slip-on, I had one on my 1993 FZR 600, inexpensive,easy to install, no jetting, sounds fantastic, weighs alot less than stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And then get a drop in filter if you want, or you can go with pod filters and get a littel more power
What do you mean by drop in filter?
Would any stage 1 jet kit for the bike work ok with a setup like that V&H on ebay?

·
1,752 Posts
A drop in is just an aftermarket filter that replaces your stock one in the air box. It just... well... drops in...

With that setup, you will definately need a jet kit. Some people do "discount" jet kits, which basically is just a different main jet and then they add a washer or two under the stock needles. This may sound like mumbo jumbo if you have never taken motorcycle carbs apart, so check out this thread.

http://www.fzrarchives.com/fzr/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=25&t=8141&

It gives you a little bit of an idea about what motorcycle carbs are like. It was something I did a long time ago and now know a lot more about, so if you have questions give a shout out.

But anyways, I suggest going with a Factory Pro Jet kit over the Dyno Jet kits, or the discount ones. I like the simplicity of the Factory Pro kits over the Dyno Jet ones (no drilling of the slides), and the discont ones are just masking up your lean condition, instead of fixing it. This is just my opinion. Some may disagree.

A stage one kit will be all you need for a drop in and full exhaust. It will consist of a stock pilot jet (#32.5), new adjustable needles, a 110 "small round" main jet, and then some adjustments to your float height, and idle mixture screw wettings. This is stuff you can do yourself if you feel your are mechanically inclined. If if makes you nervous to do it yourself, then I suggest taking it in, but it will run you a crap ton of money (something in the $250-350 range to have it done ($65/hour labor costs add up quick)). With that setup, you should be pulling around 75 horsepower to the rear wheel. Not bad for a bike that came with that much at the crank.

With my stage 3 setup Im pulling 80.2 whorespower at the rear wheel. But its a tning nigtmare. Every little bit of change in the weather makes the bike run a little funky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts