Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ladies!

Haven't been on this, or any forums, for quite a while....but checked in today & had a couple good chuckles of some shared stories & experiences, so I thought I'd share a FUN time we had Sunday.

We've (the husband & I) been doing more Dual Sport riding this summer, so we thought we'd get out the Sporty's last Sun. & make a trip to Mt. Rainier.

We left home around 9:30 AM & headed to Mt. St. Helens and headed to the North side of the Mt. via FS Rd 25, into Randle and then headed to Mt. Rainier. We headed to Sunrise first for some photo op's. Then to Paradise. Then back down the Mt.

Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum.com :: MyPhotoAlbum :: 2008-09-14 Sportbike ride over Mt St Helens to Sunrise and Paradise on Mt Rainier.

By the time we were fueling up in Ashford it was about 4:45 so we thought we'd "slab" it back home. So off to Morton then towards I5. So we are plugging along and ended up catching up w/ a pickup just at a passing lane, so around we go & we see a pickup w/ a travel trailer up ahead so we pick it up a bit to get around them before we are out of passing lane (ya know being the responsible people we are & passing where it is more safe). Well, just as we come to the top of a hill we have someone coming the other direction "flash his lights at us" and then we immediately see him - A COP. AAAHHH????? No, he couldn't of gotten us, he is pointing & looking the other direction, ya thats it!!!! Well, we very quickly drop back to 55 and yet I see his tail lights come on - DANG IT!!!! So we go on by .... please let him of gotten us in the 70 to 80's, please please please :). Well, then the the truck & travel trailer pass him. Then his headlights come on and he pulls out. DANG IT!!!! Then he passes the truck/travel trailer. DANG IT!!!! Then on come the red & blues......REALLY DANG IT!!!! Again...please let it be in the 70 to 80's. So he comes up & asks us to take off our helmets....."yes sir". Well....then.....he stands there looking @ us with the look of surprise. ?????? We look @ each other and smerk. He then looks @ our licenses and says "so your married"? "Yep for quite a while" we reply. "So, you've been riding for quite some time"? "Yep, for quite a few years." Well, in the meantime he keeps just looking @ us. He then proceeded to tell us he stopped us for we have safety issues due to modifications. AAHHHH....."OK!" He then ask "did you buy the bikes brand new?" "Yep". Then the Officers says ... "HHHHMMMMM....well you need to fix a few things.... I gotta admit I expected to have a couple YOUNG PUNKS w/out proper endorsements, not a couple...aaaaahhhh, older riders" :eek:nfloor So....I guess my gray hair & that fact that the husband is a 40 something BALD man has it's benefit!!!!

All in all, he did have to cover himself and we were advised of missing reflectors & that my turn signals are not of legal size. He tried to tell us our exhaust is .... we did stop him there....."Officer, both bikes have factory exhaust, we leave them quiet for a reason". Yes my husband about kicked me at that moment :bitchslap. He did agree that he didn't hear them, but reminded us to leave them as is for bikes can not be louder than factory exhaust. "OK Officer".

WWWHHHEEEEWWWW!!! :)

on the serious side,
The husband said he found (yes, he apparently has more time to scan the internet than I do - LOL) Washington State Codes that say our rear red reflectors are not legal (we did cut the big plastic fenders & used the license plate holders that are red reflectors to replace the BIG red reflector originally under the license plate & they are not of legal size), didn't find anything (yet) about the side reflectors & their requirements, the turn signals have to be seen from 600 ft (we are not sure my front one's would be??), and exhaust can not be louder than factory. The biggest question is tho, some of this refers to Federal Hwy Safety, so we are unsure what prevails?

So, in summary....for those of you that are going to be in the Morton or Mossyrock, WA area - be advised there is a State Trooper looking for reasons to pull over sportbikes - he was cordial & all, but I do believe is enjoying pulling over the sportbikes.

Ride safe & HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
He tried to tell us our exhaust is .... we did stop him there....."Officer, both bikes have factory exhaust, we leave them quiet for a reason". Yes my husband about kicked me at that moment :bitchslap. He did agree that he didn't hear them, but reminded us to leave them as is for bikes can not be louder than factory exhaust. "OK Officer".Ride safe & HAVE FUN!
Great story and picture's. Beautiful shots.

I bet ya if you asked him if his Harley had stock exhausts he probably would've written you a speeding ticket on the spot. No questions asked. :twofinger

I thought I was going to get it yesterday, but the sheriff kept going.

·
center of an asian pop
3,480 Posts
:lol great story!

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Yes, sometimes being older has it's advantages. :lol

Nice story, thanks for sharing. And welcome back! :cheers

·
Sportbike Addict
464 Posts