Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.
Be easy on me. I've been riding for about 4 months now and I just bought a new rear tire for my 94 vfr. Are new tires more slick than used ones. I mean do they need to be broken in. I've heard of scuffing them but I don't know what that means. The new tire doesn't seem to grip like my old one or is it my imagination or could it be over inflated

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You need at least 100 miles of twisty roads before new tires really start to grab. Tire pressure will have something to do with it too, but most likely they're in a decent PSI range if a dealer changed them for you.

·
Registered
691 Posts
You could try scuffing them up with some sandpaper if you are really worried about it but just take it easy for a little while and you should be fine.

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
A new tire has a coating on it, you need to ride with caution for bout 50miles or you can scuff them in. This is what I do: Get the tires heated up and at about 40mph I sway the bike back and fourth. You being a newbie, I would just ride careful for the first 50 miles or so, that will take care of it.

Just my opinion, Im sure peeps do different things.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Warning do not slam the gas on new rear tires.

I learned this first hand when I got my bike. Got a new tire on it and was so happy to go ride I pulled out from the first stop sign by my house, slammed the gas and the back end fish tailed on me. I went down. Learned a few valuable lessons that day.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Absolutely new tires are "slippery". I view it as a dirty little trick along with tires not lasting very many miles. You wouldn't believe the number of riders who go down on the first turn after getting new tires. /rant

To scrub in new tires, increase corner speeds/lean angles gradually for the first 50-100 miles until you can see that the tire surface has been roughed up as close out to the edge as you usually get. If you can't tell how far out to the edge they are or need to be, just take it easy until you don't notice any slipping any more.

Correct tire pressure also matters a lot so check it. Don't rely on the installer to have set the pressure correctly. The model of tire also can make a huge difference in grip. Older sticky, sport tires may offer more grip than new sport-touring tires. What did you have before and what did you get?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You also have to keep in mind that a couple heat cycles helps. Basically, there's a mold release agent in the tires from the curing process so they can pop them out of the mold. A couple good heat cycles will allow that agent to surface in the tire and then be scrubbed off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What did you have before and what did you get?

I had dunlop 208's and I bought the same since I have Dunlops on the front. You would have thought that the dealer would have told me to be carefull. Not a word mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts