Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on # 7 right now lol, its the black streetfighter on the end. Sorry only pic I have for now! Im very happy with this purchase far more comfortable and I dont find myself missing the additional hp from the 1098.

2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
OMGWTFBQ!!!!! mrphotoman is impressed that slayingelliot has his 7th bike! mrphotman can not believe that slayingelliot YET AGAIN has another bike!

how does slayingelliott do it, mrphotoman just does not know. mrphotoman may try to contact jetfalcon to see if he may have some insight on how slayingelliot does it.

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As soon as the weather improves Ill get some more pics up, we still have snow here...lovely Canada

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Nice collection of bikes you got there. Congrats and enjoy the new ride!

Reactions: SlayingElliott

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
wait wait, you have 7 right NOW, or you're on your 7th one?

If the former, nicely done sir!

If the latter, why did you sell/get rid of 6 bikes?!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Nice Ducati.

Reactions: SlayingElliott

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wait wait, you have 7 right NOW, or you're on your 7th one?

If the former, nicely done sir!

If the latter, why did you sell/get rid of 6 bikes?!
Ahah, nah this is my 7th bike. Only have two right now, in regards to why I get rid of bikes so easily its probably because I'm looking for the perfect one and I haven't found one I've really liked yet.

My first was a GS500F, which was alright. It stayed in the family for awhile as my dad used it for his first bike. My second was a 04 r6, I didn't like the ergos so I sold it and bought a 09 R1 which honestly was the best bike I've ever owned and I regret selling that bike all the time. After that I bought a 09 Kawasaki zx14, I thought it would be neat to own a hyper like that. In the end it was too big and handled like a tank, would have been perfect if I did more long distance riding, but for the city I wanted something different. From the ZX14 I went to the triumph speed triple, honestly I have no complaints about this bike. I moved to Europe for a year and needed some extra cash so I sold it before I left, upon returning I saw a 1098 for sale and this bike was my dream bike. I think the 1098 is the most beautiful motorcycle ever made, that being said, it's also the most uncomfortable. Now I'm on the 848 streetfighter and for now, I'd say it's everything I ever wanted in a bike.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
If the tank has a vent hose why does it have an expansion issue? I know they're plastic. But it shouldn't expand if it had a vent

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If the tank has a vent hose why does it have an expansion issue? I know they're plastic. But it shouldn't expand if it had a vent
It's due to the ethanol reacting with the plastic the tanks are made of, so it's a US only issue. My Aprilia had the same problem.

All new Ducati models are starting to come with metal tanks, Triumph and BMW switched back to metal as well. Aprilia/Piaggio says they came up with a new plastic formula that is ethanol resistant that they are using in their new bikes, no word on how well it works yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Nice bike!

Send some good vibes my way - I'm in the process of trying to hammer out a deal on a SF848 right now myself!

Did you, by chance, get yours from Good Wheel Motors?

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Crazy. Wonder how many cars have this issue. This would make another great case against ethanol
Not many. The basic problem is that the U.S. DOT only certified two plastics for gas tanks. HDPE is pretty well compatible with the gasoline/ethanol mix, and PA6 is not. To sell a plastic gas tank in the U.S. it had to be one of those two plastics.

The problem with HDPE is that it cannot be given a smooth finish that can be painted and look nice as an external part. This does not matter for cars, since their gas tanks are hidden. Gas cans don't have to be pretty. Etc. So all of those uses went with the HDPE.

But motorcycles (generally) have gas tanks that are visible, so the motorcycle manufacturers (several of them, not just Ducati) made their tanks from PA6, (a) foolishly believing that because the government certified the material that it was suitable for that use, and (b) not having much choice anyway.

And got screwed. Along with their customers. Many of the bikes in question, having been designed around plastic tanks that could be molded in any shape, couldn't be upgraded to metal tanks, and so there was no legal way for the manufacturers to fix the problem. Some of the bikes in question it was possible to fit a metal tank to; Triumph was able to make that fix, and I think the H-D XR1200 could take a metal tank. Most of the Ducatis, some of the Aprilias, some others had no option.

PhilB

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Crazy. Wonder how many cars have this issue. This would make another great case against ethanol
Not many, entirely different plastics are used as motorcycle tanks are visible and have to be painted.

As of now the only solution is to coat the inside of the tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts