Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
no thanks. I don't need MORE distractions.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
1300 for a helmet? I might as well get one of Rossi's signed helmets for that price, or buy a whole new set of leathers.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
There have been snowboarding goggles available with similar tech for a while now at $500 or less. No rearview camera obviously, however that begs the question, do you really need a rearview? I'd love to see this offered in a cheaper version that syncs with any android/mac phone via bluetooth using an installed app which powers the display/info. No need for a separate processor, just a display and bluetooth antenna. Then you'll just need a hard-wired charger for your phone for unlimited use.
Also the CEO looks like a major douche.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Do I need a rearview? Well, I am sick of looking at the blurry image of my elbows in the mirrors

I would love a stabilized rear view camera

I would love 360 degree, constant video capture. Great for post accident/crash documentation

Project into the future, where the cpu analyzes the video feed, and gives you recommended cornering speeds, holo projected braking points, etc..........

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i thought it was a cool idea until they used their beta testing application as nothing more than a mailing list to try to get people to pre-order.

Fuck Skully. I won't be buying any of their shit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
How many effing threads about this. Shit costs 1/3 the price of my bike!!! GTFO, I'll buy when it's around $500, mimicked by some other brand.

The one thing they have going for them, innovation.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Do I need a rearview? Well, I am sick of looking at the blurry image of my elbows in the mirrors

I would love a stabilized rear view camera
Check out the ReVu helmet

As for this Skully thing... ugly helmet with that massive wing on the back. The video made me laugh/cringe and reminded me of Bullshit Hipster Bike Videos | Ride Or Lie

1) Hipsters
2) Bullshit lines like "Our technology fundamentally enhances human capability"
3) Dubstep

A heads-up display full of distractions: for those that aren't convinced that everyone else on the road is out to kill them, and would prefer to take care of it themselves!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Be cheaper to buy a Google glass and install some apps. Could probably even put a Web Cam on top of your head for the rear view lol.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
why was the video showing the rearview camera being used in canyon carving? why in the fuck do i want a rearview angle taking up my vision space, AND potentially distracting me?

Hows about you show me what it's really for. Spotting cops, and seeing hazards that are coming up being you. show it in traffic.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Glass is still $1500 at this point.
Dang, I thought it would have come down by now. Still cheaper though when you go to your second helmet or decide their one design doesn't fit your head well ;) Helmets are a disposable item, I don't even buy $300+ ones for that reason, cant imagine buying this one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i thought it was a cool idea until they used their beta testing application as nothing more than a mailing list to try to get people to pre-order.
Yea and from the pics they posted I'm sure it was only fellow Silicon Valley hotshots who got to demo it anyways.

Hows about you show me what it's really for. Spotting cops, and seeing hazards that are coming up being you. show it in traffic.
Exactly!

For anyone looking for the technology, but not the helmet there is that NuVIZ HUD that is under development. I'm curious to see what that'll be priced at as I'd much rather utilize that technology on a known commodity like my SHOEI helmets vs. paying for expensive technology from an unknown brand that is taking orders that won't even ship until next May for a helmet that might not even fit properly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey everyone, check out these new helmets by Skully. Very cool technology, but expensive. SKULLY AR-1

If you are considering pre-ordering one, please use my referral link here.
http://igg.me/at/skully/x/8408564

Thanks!
I hear al of you, but I still think the tech is awesome and am willing to give it a try. New tech is always expensive. Some will wait for the price to come down, but I really don't think it go below $1k. Hell an Arai costs $800 and it's just a helmet. To each his own.

Anyway, I will offer $75 of my own money to the first 5 people who pre-order one using my link. Payable after the campaign is over to make sure you go through with the purchase.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cool concept & nice technology, but in today's world of biking, a helmet with that price tag is simply not a must have when riding. I'm also thinking about the distraction issues...say like you're taking a quick glance at the components and have an accident. Can your distraction be deemed the same as a cager who was looking down at an incoming text or phone call from the viewpoint of an officer?

But then, there are those who simply want be the first to have new technology so it's all good I guess. Personally, I'd hate to spend $1k on a helmet then in a couple years or so a newer & more solid version comes out way cheaper.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hell an Arai costs $800 and it's just a helmet.
For one with custom paint and graphics... a "normal" Arai costs around $550 or less than half what the Skully costs and it is a proven commodity for the important features of a helmet, comfort and safety. As with yourself I'm a tech geek and couldn't live without my Sena Bluetooth and RAM mount for my phone to use as a GPS, but still not sold on the Skully until we find out how it works as an actual helmet.

As for the affiliate offer, is it get 5 friends to buy and yours is free? If so, it would probably be better to setup your own site for that. Unfortunately most of us are cheapskates so it'll be tough to find the 5 buyers here.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts