Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a dreamer you know, so I spend a lot of time looking at mods for my bike. I noticed RAM has a single sided swingarm that fits my gixxer. Are there any actual performance advantages to a single sided swingarm? Or is it more for looks?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey... You won't get any real performance gains by going to a single-sided swingarm. It's acually more of a headache to deal with than a standard swingarm -- i.e eccentric adjustments, rear ride heigth, front-rear aligment. It's only real advantage would be that you can use quick change sprocket kits (AFAM, RK) and you don't have to remove the wheel to R/R the chain or sprocket.

However, the gain is in the exotic factor -- looks cool and if you have aftermarket wheels, you can see the entire rear wheel.

Hope this helped.

BS

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
madman748 said:
Hey... You won't get any real performance gains by going to a single-sided swingarm. It's acually more of a headache to deal with than a standard swingarm -- i.e eccentric adjustments, rear ride heigth, front-rear aligment. It's only real advantage would be that you can use quick change sprocket kits (AFAM, RK) and you don't have to remove the wheel to R/R the chain or sprocket.

However, the gain is in the exotic factor -- looks cool and if you have aftermarket wheels, you can see the entire rear wheel.

Hope this helped.

BS
That did...it's not something I was set on by any means but I really liked the look. Yet I don't want to deal with all that extra just for the look. Though I figured if it boosted performance it might be worth it. Thanks

And thanks to 2_wheeled_slave too, I don't want to add more weight either.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
whats RD stand for?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fengler said:
whats RD stand for?
Stands for Rocket Doll...just a nickname

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
ahhh cool :)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
GixxerGirlRD said:
Stands for Rocket Doll...just a nickname

Found this for ya

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alaska cajun said:
Found this for ya
:dblthumb Thank you, that was sweet... :)

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
for the cost, your not gaining alot........

already have SSS :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rocket Doll,

Check my VB Garage shots. SSS on 04 speed triple. Absolutely heavier, but not enough to matter on a street machine. But it just looks so bizaar and I love just looking at the silly thing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just Bob said:
Rocket Doll,

Check my VB Garage shots. SSS on 04 speed triple. Absolutely heavier, but not enough to matter on a street machine. But it just looks so bizaar and I love just looking at the silly thing.
:dblthumb I like!!
Silly? I don't see silly. It just looks so smooth. I could sit and look at it for a while. I haven't seen one so far that I thought looked bad. I like your wheel it just adds to the sss. See, if I got it, I have a feeling if it looked that smooth I'd be admiring it every time I got off the bike. If I had a better understand of how my bike works, just had a better understanding overall, I think it would be an ok thing to get. I'm really not much for getting things just because they look good, but somethings look good enough to override that. Nice bike!!

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Depending on the model you have it can be a significant weight gain or it could be just a mild weight gain. Unfortunately even with the magnesium arm from ram, when I worked for team Muzzy's our superbike gained ten pounds just by switching to the arm. Its a bit of weight but its not all that important.

Advantages gained by a SSSW are that the chassis flex is reduced considerably by the stiffness of that type of arm. Will it make you faster? Eh, not really as most real fast club racers can hardly tell minute differences in chassis geometry let alone chassis rigidity.

If you know someone that can do the machining and fabrication for linkages you can use a standard arm from a Honda or a Triumph. I wouldnt recommend that you try a Ducati as it is about 3 or 4 inches shorter than the others due to the V-twin chassis. It would become extremly wheelie prone and handle like crap.

Another alternative for cost reasons is to use a Gregg's Custom's arm. I believe he makes them based on the wheel you want to run and has a jig to make them a "bolt on" application. I think its made of steel and chrome plated but it is tubular none the less so its not too heavy. Or you can go Spondon and get one of their's out of aluminum but the cost is considerable as well. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3500 dollars.

PM me if you need any other info, I have dont countless conversions and can tell you what to watch out for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts