Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to do a simple tire poll to make the information easy to find for those who want it. It can be difficult searching through long and wordy posts for info. So, for ease of comparison, I was hoping that those who have replaced their stock BT020 tires with something new could answer just four simple questions: (if you've gone through multiple sets of different tires, please post separate answers for ease of comparison).

1) What tires did you get?

2) Did you notice an improvement in grip over the stock BT020's on dry pavement (YES or NO). If so, how much? (Slight, Moderate, Exceptional Improvement)

3) Did you notice an improvement in grip over the stock BT020's in rain (YES or NO). If so, how much? (Slight, Moderate, Exceptional Improvement)

4) If you've gone through a set already, how did wear compare to the BT020?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
crx81:

Sorry I can't participate cuz I still have my BT020's. However, I am planning on switching over to something else (just for fun, eh), after what I have read of some other high end tires and perhaps following your survey.

From what I have read so far (subject to flaming):

Here are the common candidates:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bridgestone BT020 Battlaxe / stock
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/
- Very good sport/touring tire.
- Stock tire, quite popular.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dunlop D252 / stock
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/
- Average sport/touring tire.
- Stock tire, not popular.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dunlop D208 -> D220
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/
- Excellent sport tire, #2.
- Moderate popular tire.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Michelin Pilot Powers
http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004113028&lang=EN
- Excellent sport tire, #1.
- Most popular tire.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pirelli Diablos
http://www.pirellidiablo.com/en_96/diablo/mainDiablo.jhtml
- Very good sport tire.
- Least popular tire.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Metzeler M1 SportTec
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/
- Very good sport tire.
- Very popular tire.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Metzeler Z6 Roadtec
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/
- Very good sport/touring tire.
- Popular tire.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well, not everyone starts with BT020s, but I did.

1) Avon Azaro ST 45/46 combo

2) About the same grip as the BT020s on dry pavement, maybe a little less. Definitely less max lean angle due to the tire profile. Still, they worked fine for a track day.

3) Moderate improvement in traction in the rain over the stock tires.

4) Wear is noticeably better. The BT020s lasted 8000 miles for me. I've got 8000 miles on the Avons and there are still a few thousand left in them. I'll probably swap them for something sportier before an upcoming trip to Deals Gap, though.

I'm definitely interested in finding out how the Pilot Power wears compared to the stock tires. Not all my riding is on twisties, so I'm curious how fast the flat spot down the middle will develop.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I haven't had to change the tires out yet, but I will probably splurge for the Pilot Powers when it's time following the recommendations from this forum.

Last year I put a new set of Michelins in my cage and I've been very happy with them, so I think I'll stick with the brand for now.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
First set was the Stock Dunlops, Ran them for 16K miles without a problem. For what I used them for they seemed to ride just fine. Didn't get out the the twisties much with them though but they were great for touring.

Second Set were Metzeler M1 SportTec. The company claims they bridge the gap between sport and touring tires but I don't agree. They had more sport then touring in them for sure. The grip was pretty good on wet and dry roads over the Dunlops. Felt a little more confident taking corners with them. But they only lasted me about 8K miles. I would call them a higher milage sport tire.

I currently have on the Avon Azaro ST 45/46 combo. The feel was strange after they were put on, kinda like the front of the bike would move and the rear would float over during lane changes. Hard to explain, just felt liket he front would start moving then the back would play catch-up. Didn't effect performance any and since your still takin it easy in the scrub-in phase it wasn't a big issue. That feeling went away after 2-3 days of riding, wouldn't have been less if I rode more miles in the days after I got the tires put on.
Now they feel just fine and handle well, the grip if pretty good I think. Only have a few K miles on them so for though but they look like thier gonna last longer then the Metzelers did.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm on my eighth tire!

Impulse control I guess. I've posted up in length to these type questions before, do a search for the extensive tire discussions.

I didn't see the Continental Road Attack mentioned. That is hands down my choice for this bike (tire is made in only two rear sizes and one front, R6 and us!)

For aggressive riding and high mileage, with plenty of commutes to the beach house! Significantly better performance with near touring mileage. I doubled my Metz M1 mileage with the Road Attack!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Started with BT020's - they were ok in the dry, bit of slip in the wet.

Pirreli Diablo's - Big improvement in dry, exceptional improvement in wet.

Pirreli Diablo Corsa's - Exception improvement on both wet and dry..no slipping yet and great feel from the road. Wear looks to be on course for about 5000 miles on my last set..touch wood i don't become a nail magnet!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am about to get some pilot powers here in the next month. Will give a review when i get them on.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
How many miles did your BT020s last?

·
Registered
341 Posts
5k on stok dunlops and i need a new back tire. Damn burnouts.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
greatzippy said:
I currently have on the Avon Azaro ST 45/46 combo. The feel was strange after they were put on, kinda like the front of the bike would move and the rear would float over during lane changes. Hard to explain, just felt liket he front would start moving then the back would play catch-up. Didn't effect performance any and since your still takin it easy in the scrub-in phase it wasn't a big issue...
Sorry if this is slightly off topic...

Interesting. I feel like I had a similar experience on my stock BT020's. I took my FZ6 for a ride in the twisties on the way home yesterday. I just bought the bike last week so these were miles 75-100; first time in the twisties on the bike, trying to contain myself... my last bike was a 1999 R6.

That said, when I was going through the turns I noticed two things: 1) when I went through the S turns, the bike felt a little teetery at TDC during the transition from left to right and vice versa 2) what you said about the rear of the bike kind of catching up to the front, I almost felt like I was riding how the Super Moto bikes look when they swing the rear out before an asphalt corner. :fiddy Yeah, I know I wasn't, I'm just trying to communicate what I felt.

I also noticed that the wear on the front tire didn't go as near to the edge as the rear tire, in fact the non-scuffed-to-edge area on the front tire was twice as wide as the non-scuffed-to-edge area on the rear tire.

Bear in mind I am comparing this bike to my old bike so maybe I'm doing the whole apples to oranges thing? Or maybe I’m trying to ride my new FZ6 like my old R6?

I'm interested in any feedback you guys have. :feedback

:cheers

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok, I got 8,000 mi on the stock dunlops. Overall can't really complain, did well both wet and dry. I was able to get the edges scrubbed all the way.

I've had Pilot Power's for about 5,000 (no track days). First, I broke them in, in the rain. They are awesome in the rain. I thought they'd be worn out after a 2100 mile trip but there's still tread left. They're lasting longer than I thought, especailly spending a number of miles off-road and in gravel. (finding places to camp)
Note: they do dive in the corners more and are harder to scrub down last quarter inch. The are also harder in feel than the stock S/T tires.

I will buy these tires again.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Biker6,

About the uneven wear front to rear, I've got the same thing with the stock Dunlop's on my bike. The rear tire is worn right up to the edge, but the front show's a significant amount (~ 1/2 inch) of unused area on the edges. They seem to stick alright, but I've had the rear end move around a little bit while leaned over, and I didn't like it at all. Even gently rolling on the throttle at the apex of a turn seems to unsettle them, without any abrupt inputs.

I can't wait for them to wear out so that I can try a set of Pilot Powers. From what I've read they've got the best combination of grip and longevity of any of the tires out there.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
tilejerky, that's good to know, thank you for the input. Maybe a tire change will help things a bit as you suggest. I'll let everyone know in 8K miles or so when I switch. ;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Biker6, that unsettled feeling could also be due to the budget suspension on the FZ6. I'd guess that even the stock rear shock on a '99 R6 probably has better damping than the stocker on the FZ6.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
segue00 said:
Gee- with all these choices, this poll ain't that simple anymore.:eek:nfloor

Actually, it was the answers that I'd hoped would be kept simple. :rolleyes

·
Registered
482 Posts
Epee said:
Impulse control I guess. I've posted up in length to these type questions before, do a search for the extensive tire discussions.

I didn't see the Continental Road Attack mentioned. That is hands down my choice for this bike (tire is made in only two rear sizes and one front, R6 and us!)

For aggressive riding and high mileage, with plenty of commutes to the beach house! Significantly better performance with near touring mileage. I doubled my Metz M1 mileage with the Road Attack!

++++1 on the Road Attacks. I put them on after the Bridgestone 020s. I ride them hard and have yet to feel any slippage dry or wet, have 4K on them and looks like I'll get at least another 2 or 3K out of them. $204 shipped off Ebay when I got my set.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
crx81 said:
1) What tires did you get?

2) Did you notice an improvement in grip over the stock BT020's on dry pavement (YES or NO). If so, how much? (Slight, Moderate, Exceptional Improvement)

3) Did you notice an improvement in grip over the stock BT020's in rain (YES or NO). If so, how much? (Slight, Moderate, Exceptional Improvement)

4) If you've gone through a set already, how did wear compare to the BT020?
I'll chime in for the Z6's because no one has wrote about them yet in this thread. There is a huge improvement over the dunlops. When merging onto tight freeway on ramps it was easy to spin the back tire with a little bit of throttle. I cant do that with the Z6's.

The feel much more planted and stable when leaned over in a turn. They also give the bike a softer ride somehow. My dunlops were showing wear bars at 5,000 miles. I've got about 1,000 miles on the Z6's now and they dont look worn at all.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
fraggle1 said:
Biker6, that unsettled feeling could also be due to the budget suspension on the FZ6. I'd guess that even the stock rear shock on a '99 R6 probably has better damping than the stocker on the FZ6.
Fraggle, that's a really good point. I know the rear shock was pretty stiff on my R6 (I think the guy who had it before me was heavier than I am and I never got around to adjusting it - yeah I suck :bitchslap ) and the front end of my R6 was SWEET. I noticed a bit of dive on the FZ6 if the front brake is grabbed, but really, we shouldn't be grabbing the front brake so that's that. The rear of the FZ6 didn't really do anything crazy this weekend (I added another 125 miles to my bike this weekend on a great ride)... at one point it slid out just a tiny bit but I wasn't at max lean and there was crap in the road. I was actually happy with how not freaky it felt. I think it's the upright riding position.

On my ride I seemed to get a lot more settled with the bike, the only thing that came up was kind of a jerky open to full closed, and full closed to open throttle response. Not sure if that's just the cable working itself in, or the engine (since I'm at 250 miles) or what, so I'll be patient with that and see if it continues...

I did get my chicken strips quite reduced on the rear wheel! I've never (on any bike) gotten them so far scrubbed - it's kinda cool for me. The left side rear is pretty much all the way scrubbed (not super scrubbed on the edge but it's not new any more) and the right side has about 2.5 mm on it. As for the front tire, it still has about 4 mm or so on each side. Funky.

:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts