Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a mom totally against bikes? I love my mom to death but I really want a sport bike and shes very anti. I'm finally 18 so I can get one and when I told her I was getting one she said shes moving out so she wont be here when they clal to tell her I'm dead. Anyone else moms this same way?

·
Registered
494 Posts
what kind do you want to get first of all? have you ever ridden? have you called your local msf? do you live your life a quarter mile at a time? :eek:nfloor

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
My mom is actually just the opposite, but it's my dad that's anti-bike. They can't really do anything anyways since I'm 23 and live on my own and all. When I told my mom of course she was concerned and told me to be real careful and and all that, but otherwise thought it was cool and had no problems with it. My dad, on the other hand, wasn't cool at all with it, though he took it alot better than I thought he would. I didn't tell him until 2-3 weeks after I bought the bike. When he found out he didn't really say much, but I could tell he was steaming pretty good. Since then I think he's gotten more used to it since I've had it for a bit and nothing has happened, but still everytime the subject comes up he says "I still won't get on one of those damn things, not in the traffic down here", or "well I still prefer to have a little metal around me". I say that's fine! You do your thing and I'll do mine, then we're both happy. I do understand where he's coming from and appreciate his concern so I don't argue with him or anything, even though I don't always agree. Apparently he's had a few friends killed on bikes in the past, so that's probably why he's so hesitant towards them. He did say they wrecked while showing off though, sooo.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
no but my dad used to be that way. mom didnt really care she just said be careful. i want to get a Hayabusa for my next bike and my dad wont have anything to do with it lol. *smacks self for showing dad videos of the Hayabusa*

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
yeah, my mom was like that at 18.. She didnt want me to get a bike, didnt want me to join the military, didnt want me to skydive.. But hell, I was 18, so I did it all anyways.
She'll get over it eventually. Just dont do anything stupid on it to re-enforce her negative paradigm of motorcycles.. Also, dont tell her any *scary* stories or posts like that.. Just make them seem safe as driving a Hummer.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My mom says I'm crazy but she hasn't forbidden me from riding. And my dad thinks it's cool because his mom never let him have one, but he doesn't know how to ride so it's kinda funny because he thinks he does. :)

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Well if you don't live with her.....get it anyway? unless she is the kind of mom who sayd she will never talk to you again and whatnot then you have to kind of wait it out by showing her saftey stuff, take the course, get gear and show her you are serious about doing it right.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Mattz said:
Anyone else have a mom totally against bikes? I love my mom to death but I really want a sport bike and shes very anti. I'm finally 18 so I can get one and when I told her I was getting one she said shes moving out so she wont be here when they clal to tell her I'm dead. Anyone else moms this same way?
That's a first. Mom's moving out instead of kicking you out. Sign up for the MSF course and invite her to come watch for a while when you're out on the range. Plus, give her some time to get used to the idea. Sometimes parents' reactions mellow a bit with time and you might have to be a little patient. :)

Local 20 y/o got a GS500 and wanted to ride it 5 hours to his mother's birthday party/mother's day celebration about 2 weeks after taking the MSF course. The ride would have taken him over a 7,000 ft mountain pass during unpredictable weather along a major interstate freeway. I convinced him that it wasn't a great idea. He agreed once he thought about his mother's reaction if he "showed up dead at her party". :lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RayOSV said:
That's a first. Mom's moving out instead of kicking you out. Sign up for the MSF course and invite her to come watch for a while when you're out on the range. Plus, give her some time to get used to the idea. Sometimes parents' reactions mellow a bit with time and you might have to be a little patient. :)

Local 20 y/o got a GS500 and wanted to ride it 5 hours to his mother's birthday party/mother's day celebration about 2 weeks after taking the MSF course. The ride would have taken him over a 7,000 ft mountain pass during unpredictable weather along a major interstate freeway. I convinced him that it wasn't a great idea. He agreed once he thought about his mother's reaction if he "showed up dead at her party". :lol
Hahah well, I never really expected her to kick me out. My brother was living here off and on til like 22, so it's not like theyre real strict. My dad is cool as hell about it, but he fears my mom, so it's a weakness. I was goign to initially make payments on the bike because its a buddies of mine and I was going to make payments til I sold my car and could pay cahs, and I told my dad, not expecting him to help, cause he said before he wouldnt, but we went and checked it out together and he decided he'd pay cash for it cause he didn't want me making payments on it to someone else.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ca$h said:
Well if you don't live with her.....get it anyway? unless she is the kind of mom who sayd she will never talk to you again and whatnot then you have to kind of wait it out by showing her saftey stuff, take the course, get gear and show her you are serious about doing it right.
Well she said shes not worried about my driving it's the people around me, classic example I guess. She said someone is going to hit and kill me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have been on bikes since I was 7, and my dad was already a seasoned rider when him and my mom got married, so she's had a while to come to grips with it.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
my mom would rather me not have one, but she says i am an adult so...she also thinks it looks "coo.l" That and i dont live with them :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
My moms not against it, shes seen how im responsible and all that jazz. My dads a different story though. I have a 87 so I just got liability insurance, since personal injury is about 2x what i paid for the bike, and its too ridiculous to pay. So he keeps tellin me he doesnt want me to ride far and all this crap w/o insurance that would cover me if I got injured and was in the hospital. So im suppose to check out with our health insurance and see if they cover it(which I know they probably wont) so ofcourse ive been puttin off that call for about 4 months:D

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
oh my mother and father are the coolest n the WORLD about it...

...because they don't know...I can't bother with the negativity, it will f*ck up my concentration in learning how to lean and ride properly on this thing...if i'm good enough I'll even ship it to Jamaica with me when i move back home...and those roads are the amazon jungle compared to the little hills and madness here in Tallahassee...but my cousin (who won't even let her husband get a bike til he gets a 2nd car) put that idea in my head by saying learning how to ride in a hilly town like tallahassee will make it so i can handle the roads back home...and until then i had limited myself by saying well, as long as I'm in the states I'll ride, and i'll sell it to go home (which is another reason why i didn't get a fairingless bike i couldn't stand, cause it really would very likely be my only bike despite all the advice here)...but now, i actually think about it...and i wouldn't tell ANYbody. They would just have to catch me in the act or show up at my house and see it, to know.

Fear? yeah, so what, they're happy, i'm happy, and i don't have to hear any fire, doom and brimstone preaching. The last thing i need is people rushing my death on a bike by catching heart failure anticipating it...I just find that to be bad luck, the more they think it, the more likely it is to happen...

·
Registered
163 Posts
My mother hates motorcycles even though she used to ride with my dad all the time. As she has got older she has got more scared of everything. A little nutty about it. Anyways I just told her I was buying a bike and got it. She got pissed but I'm paying for it and I don't live there so I could give a rats ass.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My boyfriend just got his bike... and I am taking the MSF class soon, and hopefully getting a bike over the winter. I told my mom... she doesn't think I will do it. But I know she will flip when I bring it home. My dad on the otherhand, thinks its kewl. He is like "oh I will get one and we can ride together"... haha. I can't imagine my dad on a bike, let alone riding with him. I think its a mid-life crisis thing. :)

·
Like Bing and Bong
795 Posts
Mine is.
I called to tell my folks about it. I guess my father had me on speaker phone as I said it. My brother said that the look on her face was priceless.
You have to love moms though!

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Mom was against it too when I was a teenager. So was Dad. But at 25, they don't have too much say anymore, but for my own sake (and their collective mental sake) I purchased the best gear I could afford, took MSF, read forums, TOTW DVD, etc. Just show them that you are trying to be safe to reinforce the notion that motorcycling IS a safe sport when you do IT right. My parents saw all of this, and it is a PROCESS, but show them you care about your safety and you'll have a better shot of winning them over.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my mom and two sisters are greatly against it, but my mom lightened up after i took the msf course. now i just need a bike :( (and money for one)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts