Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if this only occurs with steel stands. So what's your experience been?

A recent FB post showed this:

I remember having these issues when I had bikes with steel sidestands, but I haven't had the issue with my Buell which has an aluminum stand. Aluminum transfers heat better than steel, and it looks like my stand has more area touching the ground than normal steel stands.

BTW - here's a funny solution:

Turns any iPhone 5 or 6 into a durable sidestand plate. Download from the Apple app store at http:apple/app/sidestandmode and increase the utility function of your smartphone. Versions also available for Kindle’s, Nooks and Surface’s. Keeps your bike from tipping over into the mud or your sidestand from digging a pivot into hot sticky tar. Run time up to 18 hours. Optional Gorilla-Glass screen-saver film recommended. USA App #&ride $.99 Screen film #uses $437.00
Sidestand Plate App :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

·
Registered
10,734 Posts

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
It has nothing to do with what the stand is made of. It has more to do with the age of the pavement and area that is supporting the weight. Your Buell's stand has more area to support the weight because it is made of aluminum. Asphalt remains fairly soft for as much as a year.

Reactions: PhilB and Rhetorik

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I use a crushed can.......free and it works :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Asphalt probably doesnt cure as well in hot climates unless they use different stuff in it. I've heard it doesnt fully harden until winter

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
At my old apartment complex I had a brick that I used if I had to park on the asphalt instead of in the carport. I left dozens of kickstand marks in the asphalt after they repaved and I wasn't about to risk her falling over.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
This is nothing new... happens a lot in FL. I always carry at least one kickstand puck in my tank bag. I try to have a spare in case someone needs to borrow it.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
I spent several months working in the Dubuque area a couple years ago. The hotel where we were staying repaved their parking lot at the beginning of summer and I started leaving divots that I'd try to fill with rocks. One corner ended up with about a dozen holes filled with small rocks.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Wonder why sport bikes have such dainty kick stands lol. Nothing a little epoxy and a small piece of metal can't fix though.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Wonder why sport bikes have such dainty kick stands lol. Nothing a little epoxy and a small piece of metal can't fix though.
That'd ruin the weight distribution and aerodynamics. Jeez.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a couple of those little Cycle Gear kickstand pucks I got for free at MotoGP under my seat at all times. Really useful in the Cali sun!

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I have a piece of magnesium. Place I used to work at etched magnesium printing plates, so I took a piece of scrap.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's an issue of distributing the weight over a greater or lesser surface area. I was down in VA for Total Control ARC and I had my Street Triple parked in a spot with a friend's Ducati Monster S2R 1000. His bike sunk about 2 inches into the asphalt and almost tipped over into my bike whereas my Triumph didn't sink at all (not even a small depression). There was a Vulcan 750 and a GSXR that also sunk a bit right near us. The difference between my bike and those 3 was that the end of my kickstand has a very large base whereas the ends of the stands on their bikes are pretty tiny. All of the bikes were in their spots for the same amount of time.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
I have a couple of those little Cycle Gear kickstand pucks I got for free at MotoGP under my seat at all times. Really useful in the Cali sun!
I can't even fit that much in my "trunk" space. I could get maybe a $5 bill... but not a twenty, those are too big.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just don't keep your sidestand "foot" - (conduit cover, plastic foot, whatever it's made of) in your topbox.

On a blazing hot day at the site of a fresh re-pave it's a chore to get the bike to hold still long enough to stop the bike, get off, open the top box, and retrieve your piece without the bike falling over.

Once I had parked my GL-1200 at a customer's parking lot, using the center-stand. When I came out, it was straight-up alright, on both tires. It was a little bit of a chore getting going from there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My bike has a small compartment I can open with a glove on and I have about a 3" x 4" piece of that fake hardwood floor in it.I just pitch that under my stand,never compresses and waterproof and thin-and if I forget and leave it behind-which I have,I just throw in another piece.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts