Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ticket the other day, yes I know don't play if you can't pay. The cop wrote me a ticket for 81 in a 65, ok not a big deal. However after he gave me the ticket I asked to see the radar, he refused saying he didn't have me locked on. My question is do they have to so you the radar, whare would I find out if law requires them to show you if you ask. Also I was very respectful and nice to the officer, if you are an officer why would you not show someone the radar if they asked after you gave them a ticket.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
I'd say the fact that he didn't tell you that he didn't have to show you might be a good indicator that you live in one of the places where they have to if you request it. Also - that fact that he admitted not having you locked on shows that you have a chance - will the judge believe that the radar gun got you and not another vehicle with a b***** reflective area?
I'd check you local statutes online of through the clerk's office, and probably show up for court...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ask that cop guy who posts on here....he'll know for sure

Also, take the ticket to a trafic lawyer....they allways find flaws in the cops work.... saved my ass many times

·
Registered
83 Posts
No. Cops running radar (assuming they're certified) are trained to the pt their estimation of your speed is (in most jurisdictions) sufficient to toast you. Radar is usually just a nice backup, giving a little more teeth to the bite.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do plan on taking it to court, I don't mind paying the fine I just don't want it to go on my record. Only acouple of more months and my recond will be spotless.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
A few years ago they changed the laws requiring officers to show the target vehicle's driver their radar units, we do not have to show it anymore. We do not even have to lock the speed into the radar anymore. Why exactly they changed it I am not sure....one of the reasons they gave us when they gave us the update class was for the safety of people...less likely for a motorist to get ran over if they are not out of their car viewig the officer's radar unit. Best bet is to check and see if they will plead the ticket down.

·
Canyon Assault Vehicle
1,299 Posts
Agreed. No need to lock the speed, no need to show the violator anything. The officer only needs to observe the speed on the device, if he is using one. (Several different techniques can be used to measure speed)

I usually show them the radar if they ask nicely and are being cool, but not in heavy traffic or if they are being an ass.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
LiterTwin said:
Agreed. No need to lock the speed, no need to show the violator anything. The officer only needs to observe the speed on the device, if he is using one. (Several different techniques can be used to measure speed)

I usually show them the radar if they ask nicely and are being cool, but not in heavy traffic or if they are being an ass.
Then how can a radar timed speed be used as evidence? As easily as he can say it was there, he can't prove it. And we all know, Policemen never lie about evidence. As far as anyone being able to observe and estimate the speed of an approaching motorcycle within 2% accuracy, I'll give you $5.00 for every time you are right and you give me $1.00 when you are wrong and I'll go home with your money...

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
No state law in Louisiana requiring to show the radar. It is also a challenge to the officers integrity. Basically you are communicating, "I don't believe/trust you prove it!" There is no "polite" way to challenge someones integrity. Save the challenge for court where it is appropriate and let the legal professionals solve it. Showing the radar solves nothing. He could lock on any speed and show it to everyone all day. In the end it is will be his testimony and evidence versus yours. If there are any state laws regarding the showing of the radar, which I doubt there are, you will be able to google them for your home state. It would likely be written into the speeding law or at least in the code that handles traffic. If it isn't there then it likely doesn't exist. As previously mentioned radar is not the only way to enforce speeding laws. Drive tactically. Scan ahead and look for clues of law enforcement. Look for brake lights where there is no stopping, beware of hiding spots, avoid staying in the left lane, try not to travel more than 10 mph over the limit on the highway and 5 mph around town.

·
Registered
548 Posts

The device also has to be calibrated every so often and by the particular user. Go to the department and ask for calibration records they are required by law to show you them(most states I believe), if it wasn't calibrated recetly you can get off---I have heard of a couple people have gotten off with this.

What other techniques do you use--that are accurate? I would love to see someone estimate a motorcycle comming right at you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
bumblebee said:
Then how can a radar timed speed be used as evidence? As easily as he can say it was there, he can't prove it. And we all know, Policemen never lie about evidence. As far as anyone being able to observe and estimate the speed of an approaching motorcycle within 2% accuracy, I'll give you $5.00 for every time you are right and you give me $1.00 when you are wrong and I'll go home with your money...
Agreed, I doubt most cops are trained at judging the speed of a bike. Most are taught how to judge the speed of a car, but not bikes. If the cop says there is no difference he is dead wrong. It is called the Doppler Effect, the smaller an object is the faster the precieved speed is. This is why people pull out in front of trains believing that it is moving slowly when actually they are moving fairly rapidly. This is one reason people who see bikes driving on the street think that the bike is speeding. The size of the bike decieves their eyes.

Joe

·
Registered
100 Posts
Smokin' Joe said:
Agreed, I doubt most cops are trained at judging the speed of a bike. Most are taught how to judge the speed of a car, but not bikes. If the cop says there is no difference he is dead wrong. It is called the Doppler Effect, the smaller an object is the faster the precieved speed is. This is why people pull out in front of trains believing that it is moving slowly when actually they are moving fairly rapidly. This is one reason people who see bikes driving on the street think that the bike is speeding. The size of the bike decieves their eyes.

Joe
Sorry, the Doppler Effect applies to sound waves. What you're refering to is just how our eyes perceive moving objects of different size (there may be a name for it but it's not the Doppler Effect).

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I wonder if snakemann will post up about this. I've talked to cops before and they usually say that they're trained to "judge within 2 MPH of actual speed" and they have to get certified to do this. Do I believe them? Well, I believe they have to go through some kind of training but I honestly don't believe that most can actually do it.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
The proof is supposed to be them being honest and actually tuning their machines at the beginning and end of every shift. We're supposed to trust the police.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
his word>your word

lawyer up

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
In state on VA I think they do have to show you radar if asked. But if he didn't calibrate his gun in last 24 hrs, or his certifcation is expired the ticket is null and void. Go to police station this info is public record. In VA they also have to get a lock-on, with out a lock-on it is very sketchy!

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Will someone explain the lock on, I don't understand...

·
Registered
108 Posts
rush989 said:
Sorry, the Doppler Effect applies to sound waves. What you're refering to is just how our eyes perceive moving objects of different size (there may be a name for it but it's not the Doppler Effect).

Sorry, but you are wrong that doppler effect only is with sound. Doppler effect occurs with any frequency of wave, not just audible frequencies. The radar that cop uses is a doppler radar, as were the radars on some of our previous generation fighters, land based stations, and we currently use doppler radar in weather. As a matter of fact that link you posted even has a link to go to that explains all how police radar works using the Doppler Effect.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
<insert sarcasim here>yeah another LEO post...
can we just start a forum specifically for LEO stories....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts