Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has M4 high mount pipes and some other accessories.

I haven't ridden one or a vtwin at all for that matter so does anyone know the main differences in acceleration, handling, agility, etc?

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
If you like a high revving engine, then it's best to keep the 636. But if you desire torque, then go for it.

I had a FZ6, closest thing to an R6, and they are two totally different machines. I won't get into the suspension aspect since the Five-One wins hands down, but lets take a closer look at how the two engines compare.

The inline seemed a lot faster on the highway when you drop it down three gears and let 'er rip! It'll just blow past the cars like a bullet. Maybe it's the high revving motor, but it just seems faster. On the local streets, the inline is more suited than the Five-One. The Five-One is in its cage on these local pavements. The track is where the Five-One really shines though.

The inline gets far better gas mileage. I averaged about 35-45 mpg with the inline compared to the Five-Ones thirsty appetite for petrol at a wimpy 30-35 mpg. I average about 100-120 miles per tank in the Five-One.

The V-twin is torquey. I can get it to slide for left hand turns. I don't like doing it, but maybe it's the tires. The Pilot Powers are good, but maybe not enough to handle a V-twins rage. I got a nail in my tire today so if I can't get it plugged, I'll be throwing some Metzeler Z6's or Diablos on it.

Acceleration. They're about the same.

The sound of the gear driven cams and the gurgling of the V-twin is what captures my soul. A more mature rider is often found on the saddle of a Five-One due to its conservative nature so you, being 17, might not like it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Power everywhere, more linear delivery, not nearly as agile, rock stable mid corner (because it's a pig).

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Noooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
966 Posts
What do you want to do, do you like to make your bike scream for power, or would you like vtwin torque....

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think you should go get the RC and let me permanently borrow the 636. (It is my favorite 600, I would have one now if money was not an issue)

Seriously though, it depends on what you want. They both have their pros and cons. Personally I would stay with the 636. Better mpg lower insurance etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Both great bikes, absolutely. I am considering getting rid of my GXSR withing the next year and going with a supersport twin or a Busa, but that sound of a 51 with the styling makes it almost irresistable. I would try to find someone that would let you take a few miles on a twin if you could.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The part I'm worried about is being difficult to turn, I'm only about 140 pounds and not very strong so an agile bike is very important. I will probably wait and buy one as a 2nd bike to accompany my 636. I'm more into torque than top end, I'd rather be able to accelerate quickly at 20mph than 50 like the 636.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Meh2u said:
The part I'm worried about is being difficult to turn, I'm only about 140 pounds and not very strong so an agile bike is very important. I will probably wait and buy one as a 2nd bike to accompany my 636. I'm more into torque than top end, I'd rather be able to accelerate quickly at 20mph than 50 like the 636.
You being 140 pounds has nothing to do with how agile a bike like the RC is. The RC is a race bike, and is made to turn. Ive seen people smaller then you ride the RC like its a peddle bike. And also another thing, the vtwins (RC,998,Mille) have a great top end. The Vtwin is designed for exit speed/torque out of corners, thats where they will pull on a inline 4.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
I looked at one (rc51) when I was shopping and decided on the gix 750 instead. The RC requires more cutting to put sliders on, you have two radiators to deal with, you have two pipes to deal with (maybe a plus to some), passenger seat is pitiful (maybe a plus to some). The sound to me is the best on the planet for bike. The looks are great. I did sit on a few and it was not for me. Other than sound and looks it doesn't have a lot going for it but that's apparently enough for a lot of folk.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
GO for it. I love the RC so do it..........!

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Like others said, it depends on what you are looking for. A high rpm screamer(636) or lower rpm torque(RC51). If you do a lot of commuting on your bike i'd say stick with the 636. IMO it's more comfortable than the RC51 and other characteristics such as better gas mileage and less heat off of the engine make the 636 a better commuter.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Should I trade my 636 for an 04 RC-51? YES. if you have tthe opportunity to do that, then do it. you owe it to yourself to own a Vtwin at least once in your motorcycling experience. if you don't like it then go back to a 4 banger

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that one thing influencing his decision may be his riding experience. His profile says he's only 17. How long have you been riding? How many miles do you have under your belt? This is an arguement that comes up over and over again. But assuming he got his motorcycle license right after he was 16, that leaves him with only a year or so of experience on the street. Many people caution (rightfully so) against any supersport bike as a first bike. Now, you may be recommending an RC-51 to someone with limited experience? Just a thought. Make sure the bike isn't more than you're ready for. Having made the jump from a 600 to an RC-51, it's an entirely different bike. The handling is different, and the power delivery is definatly different.
All other things being equal, comparing bike to bike. The RC-51 is a torquier bike to ride than the inline four of the 636. The RC-51 is probably one of the most uncomfortable bikes to ride two-up on (might be a plus or minus for you as mentioned). The RC-51 will require a different riding style than the 636 will for you as well.
One thing I'm curious about is why the other person wants to trade his RC-51 for the 636? Without looking at book values, I would say the RC is a more valuable bike and might be able to be sold for more than the value of the 636? Just another thought.
Good luck,
Shane

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
imho, the 636 will probably be as fast as the rc51(if not faster at the top end), the 636 is lighter and easier to whip around corners. The rc overheats easily and is a heat monster, the rc gets bad gas mileage, heavy etc... obviously the 636 is a better bike, but why oh why do we know this and continue to get these delicious V-twins. because v-twins have soul, they have instant torque at 2300 rpm, u wfo that throttle and your neck will hurt from the amount of Gs pulling on you. sure they are nowhere near practical, but if we all went towards practicality, we would all be driving honda civics. get it.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
oooh and the sound :drool :drool, it makes me wet in the pants everytime i start my bike.

·
Registered
501 Posts
"The rc overheats easily and is a heat monster," it doesn't overheat, but it is hot.
'the rc gets bad gas mileage," compared to cars, No. it gets worse mileage than some other bikes, but it is not "bad" by any means. I get worse mileage on my 750 twin.
" heavy etc..." that's relative. when comparing it to the 636, yes. other bikes in the liter twin class, not so much.
" obviously the 636 is a better bike" depends on what you want from a bike

·
Registered
105 Posts
The RC is not for everyone. And yes they do run hotter than most bikes, summertime in Texas sees mine hit 230+ regularly. If you are still into the 'scene' and want to get 'noticed', stand out, rumble in with the RC. It leaves a far greater impression than any 600 class bike ever will. Keep in mind if that is why you ride, be prepared for the squid comments. Most smart sprotbike riders will tell you that they are all fast, and since what you ride is first and foremost about your personal preference, consider what everyone else has told you here and go with what you want and not cause you think one bike is better or faster. No matter what, be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I would say no, don't trade. That is because of one simple fact, and that is your age (and experience), combined with the nature of the bike. Honestly, I'm 22 years old and shouldn't have a 51 yet. My experience is only about 12-15,000 street miles and 12 years of dirt riding. The RC is a lot of bike for someone with my limited experience. The main reason I say that is because of how much low end it has and the characteristics of it. Mine has several mods so it may just be my bike or maybe just me, but IMO the RC LOVES to be ridden hard. The harder you ride it, the better it feels, and in my opinion, it's almost exponential. The F4i's I owned did not give me this feeling at all. Granted, they didn't fuss at all when you turn the throttle or leaned them over, but it's like the RC just begs you to brake later and harder, turn it sharper, and roll on the throttle just a little more.

It's hard to explain, especially since I try to NOT ride as spirited as I did with my past bikes. The RC reminds me of some chick that is a head case when it comes to the bedroom. She wants you to get on her harder and harder, and she screams for more, but in the back of your mind, you know she's one BAD bitch, and if you go too far or disrespect her, she will throw you off and kill you.

Well, I'm sure that was all clear as mud. My best suggestion is to ride one before you decide to own one.

Also, what kind of riding do you mainly do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's hard to explain, especially since I try to NOT ride as spirited as I did with my past bikes. The RC reminds me of some chick that is a head case when it comes to the bedroom. She wants you to get on her harder and harder, and she screams for more, but in the back of your mind, you know she's one BAD bitch, and if you go too far or disrespect her, she will throw you off and kill you.
Josh D - That is perhaps the best explanation of how tthe RC-51 makes you feel that I have EVER heard! :eek:nfloor And it couldn't be more true! But at 17, I hope our young friend hasn't experienced any chicks like that for a frame of reference. And hopefully he never will.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts