Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you all thought I should trade in my new '04 Sportster 1200 custom for a Buell XB12r or XB12s?

A little background. I came off an '02 YZF600r - loved the bike, but it got trashed by an acquiantance so I sold it. Bought a '04 Sportster 1200 custom a couple months ago. Bought the HD because I've always liked them, plus it's a great bike for 2 up riding, and commuting to and from work everyday, very comfy.

My dilema is that I really miss the twisty's. In between owning the YZF and HD I read these forums religiously, and read all the motorcycle related stuff I could... read up on proper techniques for aggressive riding, etc.

My first trip to the mountains was awesome, putting to use all I had learned I felt super comfortable cruising the mountains on the HD, but just when I hit "the zone" and felt awesome, I started to scrape the ground with the bike. The sportster just doesn't have the lean angles necessary for spirited cornering.

If I was single, I'd get a sportbike without a second though, but I'm getting married in september and my fiance loves to ride on the back of the HD, and much more-so than on the YZF. She thinks that it'll be harder for us to just jump on, and make the 300+ mile round trip to the mountains like we do now.

I know most of you would say get the Buell - HD's suck, etc. But my real thing is... the lightning looks more comfy for a passenger and I like the looks of the firebolt better -

- anyone have first hand experience with 2-up riding on either Buell model? I've already talked to the dealer about trading the HD back in on a Buell.

Sorry for the long post, but any suggestions/advise would be appreciated.
Dan

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chaser said:
Yes...........check out badweatherbikers.com
Cool, thanks for the link! Do you have any experience with 2-up riding on yours? How comfy is it for the passenger and long-hauls?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Go for it. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not bad at all the passenger pegs are longer on the 04 and up but the real trick for the passenger pegs and arms is to mount them backwards. They also make seats with more padding if needed.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Have you tried increasing the precharge??? Thats what I did to increase my cruiser's ground clearance. I love my cruiser to ride with my GF, she hates the back of my 150cc bike, the problem is that the road I take to get to her house must be taken really slow on the cruiser as it can lean for crap, I even broke the exhausts because of scraping them!!! :eek:

Increased the precharge as much as my back could handle and now that road is rideable, still can't go as fast as in my 150, but I'm not scraping everything most of the time.

What part of the bike is touching the ground??? There are some parts that can be modified to give a little bit more clearance.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Get a sportbike too, something like the YZF or FZ6 that will be cheap on insurance!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Just one question. How much money would you lose by trading it in???

I remember that you got that bike a couple of months ago, I think you're going to lose a lot of money on an almost brand new bike!
No, I wouldn't trade it in. You are going to miss it everytime you want to ride 2up, you are going to lose a lot of money, and your GF is going to kill you if she knows how much money you blew on a bike she can't ride on!

Learn to live with it, wait until you're settled with your soon to be wife, and then start saving / finance a new sportbike. Having a cruiser and a sportbike is the BEST choice if your GF likes riding with you. Even at some point she could ride one of the bikes and you the other, so 2 bikes = good.

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to have both bikes, but that's just not an option. When I was talking to the dealer on the phone, he made it sound like since it's so new, I'd be able to probably trade it out with little/no money spent - I'll know for sure on tuesday when I go up there.

As for raising the bike, the 1200 custom actually comes lowered from the factory, and is 1" lower in the rear than the other models. I really can't stand the look of the raised rear, it just doesn't look right.

My girl would be upset a bit about it, but like she told me, it's my hobby, not hers, so I should have the bike I want, and she'd ride on either.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I test rode a xr12r.
It's very cool. But you said you like 300 mile rides?
xb12r felt very small, with no wind protection.
I had a '95 yzf, which is pretty close to newer yzfs in terms of comfort, I can compare those too, sort of.

well, get a xb12 anyway, they are too cool. And from what I understood, almost no maintainance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you considered trying on of the Sport-Touring type bikes. They will have the ground clearance if you want to rail it and be ALOT more confortable for the missus. Something along the lines of a ZZR of Triumph Sprint or Blackbird or maybe even a 'busa.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Keep the Harley!! Don't go to the darkside and buy a F'ing Buell. I would modify the HD to give yourself more ground clearence. A HD is a lot more respectalble too. And the HD is worth more than the silly Buell. Buell's are made cheap, more plastic and rubber parts than any other bike on the market, they suck ass!!

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Keep the sporty and get the sport bike later. My g/f wants me to get the HD back or a new one so over the winter I am going to. I personaly like the rocket for riding fast and alone but the sporty is very addictive. I miss mine all the time.

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd look at other sport-tourers and metric cruisers, but for the deal to work out without me losing a lot of $$ would mean going through the HD dealer to get the new bike, so that means the Buell would be the way to go.

I'd love a v-rod, but can't afford that kinda bank...

I have a few days to ponder everything, I won't head up there until tues, and I'm going to test ride both the lightning and firebolt and see what's up. I know I'll miss the comfort and fun of long trips, but there's mountains near me now, which I've never had (used to live in KS all my life), and the roads are near perfect, screamin' to be carved up by a sportbike.

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dennisred69 said:
Keep the sporty and get the sport bike later. My g/f wants me to get the HD back or a new one so over the winter I am going to. I personaly like the rocket for riding fast and alone but the sporty is very addictive. I miss mine all the time.
I agree - but I'd rather ride the sportbike while I'm younger and have that need for speed, and get the cruiser later in life when I just wanna enjoy the ride and freedom of the open road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What about selling the HD yourself and then getting the bike you want. You might lose a little but it would be worth it to get the right bike.

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
theroyz71 said:
What about selling the HD yourself and then getting the bike you want. You might lose a little but it would be worth it to get the right bike.
Before I got the HD, the bike I wanted was a Firebolt XB12r. The reason I've gone back to that and lightning was that I like the Buells. I like the looks and character of the bike. I love the sound of the engine and the #1 reason - I like the fact that not many people have the bike. So, to answer your question, the Buell is the bike I want.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
My dad has the same bike as you. He's 44 and picked that over the zx12r, and the Buell series bikes. The Buell's were just way to compact and my mom kept telling him he's too old for a sportbike. I have a feeling he's gonna have the 12r next year, I know deep down he wants to get rid of that 1200C and get a real bike again. I can barely keep him off my 9r.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts