Sport Bikes banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
What I said was that yes, helmets that have the same test stamps (DOT, SNELL, etc) pass the same tests, but that doesn't mean the cheapest one is as good as the most expensive one. Is the $800 helmet 8x better than the $100 helmet? No, probably not. But you can't argue that they're going to be better. After seeing ICON and HCJ helmet shells splitting in half after relatively tame crashes, and after having owned (and crashed) several helmets on all areas of the "cost spectrum", I can offer personal experience to back my claims.
Has anyone in this thread tried to argue that a $100 helmet is going to be just as good as an $800 helmet in every category (safety and features)?

You're welcome to think what you'd like and buy whatever you'd like, but my initial comment to the OP was meant to have her at least branch out and TRY some other brands of helmets, especially since she mentioned that the one she had didn't fit her too well. She seemed to have the horse-blinders on Scorpion brand, and that was that.
I'm just trying to make it clear that the $100 helmet isn't necessarily going to protect someone any less than the $800 helmet, which I think is a misconception that some people have. That $800 helmet is going to be lighter, with better airflow, a better visor removal system, quick cheek-pad removal for emergencies, nicer graphics, etc.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I'm just trying to make it clear that the $100 helmet isn't necessarily going to protect someone any less than the $800 helmet, which I think is a misconception that some people have. That $800 helmet is going to be lighter, with better airflow, a better visor removal system, quick cheek-pad removal for emergencies, nicer graphics, etc.
SHARP proves that. You can be safe with a cheap helmet, it won't be light, it won't have the most features, but safe you will be.

I never said price is an accurate measurement of quality; stop putting words in my mouth. What I said was that yes, helmets that have the same test stamps (DOT, SNELL, etc) pass the same tests, but that doesn't mean the cheapest one is as good as the most expensive one. Is the $800 helmet 8x better than the $100 helmet? No, probably not. But you can't argue that they're going to be better. After seeing ICON and HCJ helmet shells splitting in half after relatively tame crashes, and after having owned (and crashed) several helmets on all areas of the "cost spectrum", I can offer personal experience to back my claims.
Well, SHARP proves that a low end AGV is just as safe as a high end Arai. You keep arguing that you must spend more money to be safer, which SHARP has proven to be nothing but a big fat lie, yet you keep preaching on it.

Are you now going to argue that your empirical data is more accurate than SHARP's tests?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
SHARP proves that. You can be safe with a cheap helmet, it won't be light, it won't have the most features, but safe you will be.

Well, SHARP proves that a low end AGV is just as safe as a high end Arai. You keep arguing that you must spend more money to be safer, which SHARP has proven to be nothing but a big fat lie, yet you keep preaching on it.

Are you now going to argue that your empirical data is more accurate than SHARP's tests?
Who funds this "Sharp"? What makes it credible? You read some stuff on the internet and decided to believe it. I've seen (and sometimes experienced) horrible accidents, which are hard to forget. To each their own; buy whichever helmet you decide to buy, but I'm willing to spend a little extra and have the protection my dome deserves. As I mentioned, meeting minimum requirements gets you the stamp, and that's it.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I am actually quite skeptical of the claims that a helmet lasts only 5 years. I can see no reason whatsoever for chemical breakdown of the core components, though I could see the padding loose a bit of effectiveness getting tamped down year after year. I still doubt strongly that such would compromise a helmet's functionality. If the thing still fits tightly I'd say keep using it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I am actually quite skeptical of the claims that a helmet lasts only 5 years. I can see no reason whatsoever for chemical breakdown of the core components, though I could see the padding loose a bit of effectiveness getting tamped down year after year. I still doubt strongly that such would compromise a helmet's functionality. If the thing still fits tightly I'd say keep using it.
That one kinda got me too.. I'm sure there's a limit on how long they're good for (for example, the POS helmet from the mid-90s my Dad still has is definitely no good), but 5 years seems like a ploy to sell more helmets. Especially when the people telling you to replace them every 5 years are the ones selling the helmets.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Who funds this "Sharp"? What makes it credible? You read some stuff on the internet and decided to believe it. I've seen (and sometimes experienced) horrible accidents, which are hard to forget. To each their own; buy whichever helmet you decide to buy, but I'm willing to spend a little extra and have the protection my dome deserves. As I mentioned, meeting minimum requirements gets you the stamp, and that's it.

Did you even bother checking SHARP's website? It should give you a hint as to how SHARP is funded:

http:// sharp . direct . gov . uk

From SHARP's FAQ:

What is SHARP said:
A. SHARP is the safety rating for motorcycle helmets set up by the Department for Transport in November 2007. SHARP provides an independent assessment of how much protection a helmet can offer in an impact. Helmets are rated from 1 to 5 stars; the more SHARP stars a helmet has, the better the protection it can give.
Why was SHARP introduced said:
A. Our laboratory tests showed there were real differences in the safety performance of motorcycle helmets available in the UK market. While they all satisfy the minimum legal requirements, we believe that providing objective advice concerning the level of protection a safety helmet provides will assist riders when making such an important purchasing decision.
In a nutshell: Some guy in the UK agreed with you, helmets could barely meet the requirements and get the stamp. So he grouped some other people and made SHARP to test how good helmets are beyond just getting the stamp.

And here you are, with no real knowledge just going by old adage "you get what you pay for" dismissing real laboratory tests with your empirical data. IOW, marketing has got you by the balls. Go ahead, dismiss SHARP's tests, just don't go around spreading bullshit just because you want to feel better because you spent too much money on a helmet.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Did you even bother checking SHARP's website? It should give you a hint as to how SHARP is funded:

http:// sharp . direct . gov . uk

From SHARP's FAQ:

In a nutshell: Some guy in the UK agreed with you, helmets could barely meet the requirements and get the stamp. So he grouped some other people and made SHARP to test how good helmets are beyond just getting the stamp.

And here you are, with no real knowledge just going by old adage "you get what you pay for" dismissing real laboratory tests with your empirical data. IOW, marketing has got you by the balls. Go ahead, dismiss SHARP's tests, just don't go around spreading bullshit just because you want to feel better because you spent too much money on a helmet.

Nope, I was on a quick lunch break from work and didn't have time to delve into it.

In any case, I'm not here to change what you think. Think what you want, buy what you want, be happy and feel safe. I will buy what I feel fits me best (which is not, coincidentally, the most expensive helmet... BTW) and offers an adequate amount of protection, and advocate based on my experiences with various helmets and their manufacturers. Feel free to do the same. Good day, sir.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Your advise is so useful that I don't want it to go to waste on me, so I'll put you on ignore.

Please believe that.

The truth is that I feel sorry for you, so I rather not read any more of your posts.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Your advise is so useful that I don't want it to go to waste on me, so I'll put you on ignore.

Please believe that.

The truth is that I feel sorry for you, so I rather not read any more of your posts.
Ignore away. I just don't have the patience to open the can of worms that would mean discussing whether a government-funded project (SHARP was a .gov address, right?) is truly unbiased.

EDIT: although the website is fairly compelling. It's interesting to compare different helmets with approximately the same retail value of different brands and see how it stacks up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The Vortex might just be the best full faced helmet available under the $200 mark. I absolutely love my RS-1.....got it for $220 brand new with tags on Craigslist :-D

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I donate mine on a local board. I'd rather it serve a purpose and save someone some bucks (or having a passenger riding helmetless) than throw it away. Unless no one wants it, then I shitcan them.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts