Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
HalfLiterBeater said:
Thanks man... I didnt notice Babalu's signature arm tattoo until I looked closer...... Never seen that Travis guy fight....and I thought I've seen a lot of damn UFC....but then again there's still a hell of a lot of them I havent seen either, especially the ones before 46 or 47...

The main card tonight is Arlovski vs Buentello right? This is gonna be interesting...now, if I can just figure out how the hell to order pay per view....... :popcorn
yea Arlovski is gonna put a good beaten on Buentello but i gotta give Buentello love cuz i used to train at the same gym as he does (american kickboxing academy). Gonna have some bros over and a bottle of patron silver! thats how we do it EVERY ufc!

·
DARK ANGEL
285 Posts
your never a puss when you ride within your comfort zone and limits. fuk what others say if it is negative. when you feel comfortable you will be ready.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Take it slow.

It takes a much b***** man to admit he isn't ready to do something than it takes to attempt something he should know he can't do yet.

Don't attempt the commute until you are comfortable.

Play it safe: not because you are a wuss, but because you are man enough to put aside macho BS for the people that love you.

·
Void where prohibited
248 Posts
Probably already said, but my 2 cents:

1) You are wise for taking it slow (smaller bike, etc.)

2) I might get flamed, but I do not think you should persue a track day until you get much more comfortable on your bike. I would work on turning/ swerving/ braking/ accelerating and such in a clean, empty parking lot to learn how your bike reacts. Then you should definitely look into one :dblthumb

3) If you can, practice riding in traffic a little more each time, as you get more comfortable. You will need all your wits and skills (where the parking lot/ track practice comes in!), but won't be forced into a "full" commute to work.

4) You should not ride at night until you are comfortable with the above during the day. You have less visibility, and are less visible to others.

Most of all......keep riding :cheers

·
Registered
994 Posts
A simple rule: "If in doubt, don't".

It works for deciding if your ready to ride to work. It works for deciding if you have enough time to pass. It works for deciding if it's the time for a Ferrari tune-up. It works for a lot of things.

Wait until you've got enough saddle time to be sure of your self. Go on Early Sunday morning rides with fewer absentminded idiots, and insane late speeders trying to kill you. Patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you sound like my buddy. he gets freaked out and i get annoyed when riding with him. But i just give him crap about it and that's all. Ride at your own pace and NEVER just do anythng if you feel uncomfortable. I would rather be called a puss, than to push myself into something I didn't feel comfortable doing. At least you will be around another day to hear yourself being called a puss again ( I know noone has called you that, just speaking) but you get my point. Take your time and ride at your own pace :cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Couple of things I use as a rule of thumb...

If I ask myself "I wonder if I could do..." then it's probably not a good idea. However when I tell myself "I could have pushed into that turn a bit more..." Then the next time I hit that turn or other similar turns, then I probably will.

Also Seat Time does NOT equate to Street Time. Improving your riding skills is only half the equation. Street skills also must be learned. You've got to be able to read everything... cars, traffic trends, pedestrians, road conditions, broken brake lights, drunks, cell phone jockeys in their mini-vans, (even dogs :) cuz they love to chase bikes). The more you ride, the more you exercise your reading skills and it gets easier. Not many people who first start riding bikes realize that sometimes the fatigue they feel after short rides on the street isn't from the physical aspects of riding the bike... sometimes it's because you're simply exhausted from taking in too much information you haven't yet learned to organize.

Simply allow yourself to grow naturally. You may grow faster or slower than others, and may or may not ever become as good a rider as others... but street riding is not a competition (despite many other riders you'll encounter who will never grasp that). It's a fun mode of transportation which should be enjoyed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was in your same situation at the beggining of the year. I took it slow, now I feel very comfortable with my bike. Ride 35 minutes to work one way 5 days a week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
another idea is to make sure your bikes suspension is properly setup( not saying it isn't) but that really make s worl of difference. I know it helped me when my buddy set mine up. it gave me alot of my confidence i needed.

just another idea for ya :fiddy

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Slow progression is the key to learning to ride properly. You want to push yourself a LITTLE when you ride. Expand that comfort zone little by little. Rush hour in cali is no joke.

BTW-Unrelated, but who do you train with down there?

·
Registered
153 Posts
atleast your respecting the fact that your still a rookie and your not speeding around like a moron +1 to you sir.
go at your own pace its like when you work out and some guy is benching 600lbs and your benching 150 your working out your body not his..do your own thing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
First I'll say that I ride a ninja 500R and have 1400mi of "seat time". I was afraid to get on the interstate as well as it can be daunting if you are new to riding.

My advice is to take it slow. If you have any curves and are worried about curve speed, drive your car through it first, and play close attention to your mph going through the curves. If you can do it in a car, you can do it on a sportbike.

Other than that, you gotta learn sometime. I do suggest driving faster than the speed limit though. Cages will end up trying to push you outta the way if you don't.

Always remember that you can accelerate faster than they can, and that they probably don't see you, so when passing, make it quick. I've had cages jerk their wheel to the right pretty hard when I passed them on the interstate.

If you are driving in the dark... don't be afraid to flash your lights from dim to bright and back again and give your horn a honk before passing. It might piss off a few... but at least they'll know you're there.

Also, wear your gear and if it's a windy day make sure you relax, especially when passing semi's. Some of those gusts can feel like they are gonna blow you off the road, but if you stay relaxed and make a few very minor adjustments, you'll be fine.

Good luck and stay safe!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
like i said before, GREAT advice all the way around.....

well this morning i got up at 7:30 and rode half of the commute!!! I went about half way and turned back and it was a f*cking blast!!!! i gotta say it again....IT WAS A F*CKING BLAST!!!

dude i was planning on going the whole commute but i was strapped for time. I allowed myself enough time to do the whole thing but about half way through i came up on dead stop traffic b/c of an accident up ahead......i was pretty scared at this point b/c i was behind a semi and traffic was going bout 5mph so balanceing was tuff, but i was too scared to split lanes......well i finally got the balls in check and just went for it. So i split lanes up to the front of traffic, and when the police lights were in sight i cut back in and by then i was running out of time (wife had an appointment) so i turned off onto a backroad and went back home, through the mountains which were also a blast. No one was on the backroad and i was able to take it about 5 over the speed limit comforatably w/o drivers on my ass. I was doing about 5-10 over the limit on the highway too and felt great. Cars were still passing me but it was cool cuz i was in the slow lane and there was no one directly behind me.

Gonna do it again tomorrow morning and go the whole stretch.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
You bay area fools should head down to Sac and ride some REAL roads. :)
What real roads are there in Sac? With the exception of hwy 49 and the road around Folsom lake, I can't think of any. There are plenty of them here and around Berryessa.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Only real roads I can think of near sac are on the way to tahoe. Sac sucks in too many ways to list. :D

I think the guy was being sarcastic though.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
adamf2 said:
What real roads are there in Sac? With the exception of hwy 49 and the road around Folsom lake, I can't think of any. There are plenty of them here and around Berryessa.
AHAHAH, there are so many crazy roads in the foothills that us "locals" don't share it's sickning. :)

Hwy 193, 49, Mosquito Ridge, pilot hill, dafodill hill, salmon falls, shake ridge road, latrobe, etc., etc.

Berryessa is o.k. if you like being stuck behind SUVs towing boats, and getting a ticket every 10 min. Or sitting at the corners talking about riding.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Sell your bike, buy a GSX-R1000. Drink a case of a beers then go do some wheelies through intersections wearing your favorite t-shirt.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
AHAHAH, there are so many crazy roads in the foothills that us "locals" don't share it's sickning. :)

Hwy 193, 49, Mosquito Ridge, pilot hill, dafodill hill, salmon falls, shake ridge road, latrobe, etc., etc.

Berryessa is o.k. if you like being stuck behind SUVs towing boats, and getting a ticket every 10 min. Or sitting at the corners talking about riding.

Is that thunder hill in your avatar? Looks like it. I may have to check out some of those roads. And yeah, berryessa sucks ass on the weekends just because of all the boats/rv's that are on the road. It's pretty bitchin during the week though.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts